Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Winch Problem, no problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tricks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 19:33    Post subject: Winch Problem, no problem. Reply with quote

I had a day off today, High winds so I can't climb trees, A project I had in mind was sorting a towbar mountable winch for my Delica. I don't need a huge recovery winch as they seem to go where you want, also it could be used on anything with a towbar.

I lashed up a proof of concept useing a scrap trailer hitch with a 2" pipe, an old scaffold clamp and a few bolts. Its only a 2000lb winch so welding will come if its any good.
My Delica has a good bar and a fully working 12v socket in the back plus the lamp which works (my Pajero had the same, ace).

Idea was to use the socket and/or a full length wire clipped onto the battery, the socket would be great right in place comes with a good seat and the back door will keep the rain off.
Sorted, but then I thought the wire up to the back will be old and not rated for a winch, be corroded so I looked on the forums but found nothing to specific, some fella from Aus is going to uprate his wire and maybe I could do the same

Then it hit, i will be Towing my caravan so why not fit a second plug for power that will do it. I can post a few picture and a costing if anyone wants.

Nothing ground breaking but the proccess was fun. Will

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 19:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type of cable used on towbar sockets is too thin and will get very hot, if not melt, in use.  You teally need something thicker, like 50 core and use Jensen plugs to connect the winch when required.

You can see some photos and wiring info, of my setup, on this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=38291

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: