4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Sewing machine noise after new bigger exhaust, and turbo ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belette

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 16:49    Post subject: Sewing machine noise after new bigger exhaust, and turbo ? Reply with quote

Howdy,

I'm having a long and weird story with the music I get from my engine.
I mounted a new custom 2.5" exhaust on my Delica, and I now have some weird sewing machine noise under load. Whatever the engine temperature, or speed, it's quiet at idle or cruising, but as soon as I press the pedal, that sewing machine noise comes back and is in synch with the revs or valve. It feels like I put a piece of cardboard with cloth pin on one wheel.
The turbo whistle also vanished, and I can barely hear it, but a pressure test confirmed it was working, but it needs high revs to build pressure.

Now on a closer look, I noticed a missing bolt on the exhaust manifold. It should actually be a stud with its nut, but I only have a hole ! And some black soot over the manifold on that exact spot.
Could the noise come from that exhaust leak ?  It could explain why the turbo needs more revs to build up pressure...
What do you think guys ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 16:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Belette, is that one of the manifold-to-head studs? Does the noise vary depending if the engine is hot or cold? Have you tried blocking the hole with a short bolt and Gun-gum? Any change in the sound while you are fiddling with the hole obviously indicates the problem is in that area. But I reckon that if you have one cylinder blowing through its leaky manifold port, you could end up with a sound like you describe. A length of bath waste pipe with a rightangle bend on it works as a directional microphone if you plug the other ear. Just point the open end of the pipe at any suspect area, while keeping the angle joint end to your ear.
Belette

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andyman!
I didn't try to put something in there, I saw that stud on google and the shape is not as expected, two threads with a flat surface in between, I'll try something and I also lost one of the three nuts holding the exhaust pipe to the turbo, but no black mark here.
It's getting harder to work on the van, the police came a few days ago, looks like it is illegal to do repairs on public street in France, even just in front of the house, not blocking anyone and I always keep everything clean Sad
Belette

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about removing the entire manifold and turbo to renew all the seals, not much space to work there, how important is it to tighten everything back together ?  I cannot see a way to squeeze my torgue wrench in there !
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps wrongly, but I rarely use a torque wrench. I just go by "feel" and experience. If you don't feel confident to do this, you could tighten an accessible nut/bolt with a spanner which can access all nuts and bolts, then check with the torque wrench how accurately you have estimated. If you have estimated accurately, then do the other nuts/bolts with the same spanner.
Belette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome tip, thanks !
Belette

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to close this one, I had a closer look, and found two missing studs on the exhaust manifold. I found the part number MD050074  on partsouq, which is not correct!

The correct stud should be M8 x 1.25mm 42mm long.

A bit of cleaning, new gasket, new studs and nuts, and the sewing machine noise is gone for good !!!! Smile
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love and persistence overcomes all!  occasion5 Did you have to keep sneaking out to work on it while the gendarmes weren't watching?
Belette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahah, I managed to have a full week to work on the van, I spent most days in a friends backyard, flat enough, and we have a fair weather in september. For clutch and gearbox, I had to rent a workshop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: