Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Help required to get through MOT Emissions test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byonic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 15:53    Post subject: Help required to get through MOT Emissions test Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
My beloved Deli has just failed it's MOT on emissions- it is pumping out black smoke when it runs, especially thick when the engine is under labour. It has been a problem that has developed over the last couple of years, but in previous years it has got through the MOT. This year I think the emission limits are tighter.

In the past I have tried a few fixes; I had the EGR blanked 2 years ago, and this year I tried the turbo cleaner, Revive, that I found recommended on this forum. Unfortunately, it didn't do the trick (it was only one can though- perhaps I needed more for the Deli...).

So, can anyone suggest a course of action for me to get back out on the road?

I am not all that technical, so taking the engine apart myself is probably beyond my ability, although I am willing to try if it means I get to drive again. However, 1-2 spanners is my ability level in Haynes Manual terms, so if it's harder than that I will struggle.

If anyone can suggest a friendly mechanic who is used to Delicas then I would be all ears. I am based in NE Hampshire, so someone in Hants/Surrey/Berkshire would be great.

Thanks for reading my post.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 15:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple items first -

EGR valve, check to see if the blanking plate has "Holed".

Air filter, if not dirty, try removing it. The paper fibres can close up.

Remove rubber tubes off Intercooler, look inside, see if it's "Crudded"
While the hoses are off, run engine, check for good air blast at the Turbo hose.

Do the same, with only turbo hose connected at the intercooler, check that airflow is the same on the intercooler outlet,
as at the turbo hose outlet.

NOT so simple, or cheap  Sad  = Injectors, may need re-furbishing.

HTH

Mr D
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other item =

Check your timing chain, quite easy to do -

Open the oil filler cap, look down, you should see the chain over the "Cam" sprocket.
Use a bent piece of wire, hook it under the chain, try to lift the chain, IF it lifts off the sprocket, then IT needs replacing,
AND possibly the chain guides as well (or not well  Shocked )

A slack chain may break (apparently has happened to some owners) = Very nasty damage to engine  Crying or Very sad

Mr D
byonic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help and advice Mr D.

I will see what I can do this weekend, if I can get it back from the garage.
ArthurArthur

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did it go?
Did you solve the probplem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: