4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

First recorded car death.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Oddities to be seen in the UK!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deker

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 20:26    Post subject: First recorded car death. Reply with quote

This sign is to be seen at Harrow on the Hill, junction of Peterborough Road & Grove Hill, N.W. London.

I had to take this pic at night - Two reasons = Yellow lines on the roads, and I'm not in Harrow during daylight hours.

I wonder how true it is  Question

Mr D
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 20:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 25th February 1899, Edwin Sewell and Major Richer were thrown from their vehicle on Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex, London, and killed. Sewell's death was the first fatality of a driver recorded. The driver, Mr. E.R. Sewell had been demonstrating the vehicle, a Daimler Wagonette, to 63-year-old Major James Stanley Richer, Department Head at the Army & Navy Stores, with the view to a possible purchase for the company. As they drove down the hill at 14mph, a wheel shed its rim. Both Sewell and Richer were thrown from the car onto the road. Sewell died instantly, and when Major Richer died four days after the accident without regaining consciousness, it became a dubious double-first; the first death of a driver in Britain, followed by the first death of a passenger in a motor car.

Though in August 31, 1869, While riding as a passenger with relatives in an experimental steam car, Mary Ward was thrown from the car and fell under the wheels as it rounded a bend. This is believed to be the first recorded car passenger death. It took place in the town of Birr, which was known at that time as Parsonstown. The car was built by her cousins, the sons of William Parsons, 3rd Earl of Rosse.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the sign in Harrow refers a Liquid Fueled vehicle  Question

Mary Ward being "Thrown" from the car, rather reinforces the need/requirement for Seat Belts  Rolling Eyes

Birr, is that in Ireland  Question  Please excuse my lack of geographical knowledge - I do not travel outside of the UK mainland.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that one of those sons of William was Charles Parsons, who went on to invent the steam turbine, which revolutionised the generation of electricity. My uncle and godfather, was at one time MD of Reyrolle-Parsons turbines in Newcastle, a division of Rolls-Royce. And yes, Birr/Parsonstown is in N.I.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Oddities to be seen in the UK! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: