Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Snorkel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sl8ter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 20:45    Post subject: Snorkel Reply with quote

I looking for a snorkel can any one recommend one
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 20:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eBay  60 quid odd ones do the trick, they are not perfect but work okay.
Bazza

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
sl8ter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv been looking at them but didn't know if the fitted okay and I thought maybe some one on might be selling them .any tips on fitting one.iv seen the how to vid
jkeo44

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 21:45    Post subject: subject Reply with quote

I have a brand new snorkel for a 400, never got round to fitting, it cost a lot about ten years ago,still in original package, never opened if you are interested
sl8ter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm sent
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY?!!! Are you going to wade in water that high or is it just for posing value!!!

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
sl8ter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for posing value more than anything but it will be there just incase lol
PeterInYork

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are good for catching Bees and Wasps - flying insects in general.

Which I found out when first cleaning out my Air Box after first fitting.
sl8ter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing still want one
YOZA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also resonate the wiz of the turbo through the top hat.

8-)
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I last renewed my insurance - I listed a few mods including lift ( technically just longer springs and uprated suspension) and lpg tank and they had to forward all this to the under writer.

His main concern was , Am I off roading it and did it have, or did I plan to ever fit a snorkel.

I said no as I was just thinking more cash would need to be paid Sad

He said, thats okay then...  ???????
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whereas Adrian Flux was happy for me to have a snorkel on, as it reduced the risk of the engine getting trashed in a flash flood. :D  

As for fitting them: Ages back, on the old 'Yorkshire Warrior' I fitted a Tanami brand one, plus more to other members Deli's.

Earlier this year I bought one of the EBay ones Baz mentioned, via my nephew, as I don't have an EBay account. For my latest Deli

It arrived in a couple of days and is a much more solid (thicker walled) build than the one I had before. Unfortunately the tube has a much flatter design, one the back, so it did not fit the wing / A Pillar as easily as the Tanami one. The template provided with it for marking out the air tube and fixing stufs was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.  Sothat took a lot of fiddling about to get the various holes in the right places.
Due to the flatter design the snorkel sits much further out, so the studs provided were not long enough to pass through the wing with enough thread to mount a washer and nut on. Instead I used some longer stainless steel bolts with the heads cut off and the threads filed back to fit the stud holes.

Luckily with all the experience of previously doing others I was able to work out how to do it, though it took several hours of mucking about, compared to the two hours for the Tanami one, to get it on; and I was knackered after getting it done. Deffo not something I would want to do on a daily basis.

This time though I found that, due to the stiffer build, I didn't need to fit the A Pillar bracket. This leaves the top part further out a tad, but also takes it out of my visual area when driving. Experience also taught me to cut some heavy duty flyscreen netting to keep bugs out of the innards.  Rolling Eyes With the inner airbox having a proper shaped K&N filter nothing but air gets through.  :D

On my current holiday trip I found myself, having parked overnight in a picnic area, waking up to find it seriously flooded out. Unlike the cars around me that were stuck with their caravans, I was able to just drive out and away. So for me it has already paid for itself.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jaspa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
Due to the flatter design the snorkel sits much further out, so the studs provided were not long enough to pass through the wing with enough thread to mount a washer and nut on. Instead I used some longer stainless steel bolts with the heads cut off and the threads filed back to fit the stud holes.

Hi Lewis, You don't happen to remember the Pitch/size/length of the studs do you? I'm missing them on the snorkel I have yet to fit. Will save me having to try to measure Smile

Thanks

Stuart
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the pitch, as I just took the studs in to my local nut and bolt shop and asked for the same in 50mm long stainless, complete with 2" wide spreader washers and locking nuts.

One thing of use for you is that after spending over an hour attempting to get the bolts through the wing in various configurations to let me bolt it up, I eventually found out that due to the lack of curve in the snorkel I had to make the bolt holes far bigger than predicted, i.e. 12mm holes to let the bolt ends go into the holes, as the snorkel was bent into place.

I put the front bolt in and loosely bolted it just tight enough to keep the nut on, then got a neighbour to apply force lots - lots of force - to hold the snorkel against the wing as I applied loads of Wynns gasket maker under the wing around the bolts, then slip on the washers and ratcket up the nuts. NB: there was also a liberal dose of Wynns around the bolt holes on top of the wing, so water getting behind the snorkel would not get into the stud holes.

TIP: if doing it on the ground you need to push the hub as far back as possible and put thick padding over it, as it is not a comfy place to be sitting in whilst trying to fasten the bolts in place, especially the highest one, which really needs a tiny person with miniscule hands to get at.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jaspa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, Thanks Lewis.

I'll just pop down to the Hardware store and get some Smile It'll probably be a couple more weeks before I get the free time to play again anyway.  Rolling Eyes

Stuart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: