4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Spontaneous horn problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 20:11    Post subject: Spontaneous horn problem Reply with quote

Ooooh, matron!

So, I was fixing the rear brakes on my little Pug 106 in the snow this afternoon and was using the Delica to keep my parts dry (the brake parts!). Well, on one occasion, I slammed the side door and the Deli started making quiet 'peeping' noises. These merged into a full 'parp', as the horn became 'stuck' on.

I disconnected the battery as I didn't really have time to fix the Deli as well as the Pug (which was rapidly disappearing under a blanket of snow by this time).

So - I think it's related to the horn push steering wheel boss thingy. Certainly, since I've had the van, this has been very easy to press accidentally - very little resistance. The impression I get is that what ever prevents the horn circuit closing under normal conditions has finally weakened enough that it collapsed when I slammed the side door.

Until I have a chance to go out and pull it apart, has anyone else removed the boss from their L300 steering wheel or had the same problem (and - perhaps - fixed it very easily??). Any thing I should be careful of breaking in the process (MOT due next month - don't really want to go busting anything that's hard to replace!).

Cheers!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 20:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add - I tried briefly to 'lever' the boss off and the horn stopped sounding at one point (that's why I think it's related to the boss itself). Didn't want to break anything when it became apparent that the boss wouldn't come off without more force, or more careful investigation when time allowed (I plumped for that latter, to avoid tears if something broke!).
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get the boss pulled off, it should all be fairly obvious and simple. Just can't remember if there are screws in from the back? My horns don't work off the steering boss - it has had a pull-cord working air horns since I bought it, but I took the wheel off while changing the brake M/C.
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the boss the contacts are kept apart normally by a thin sheet of foam plastic, this has been known to deteriorate to the stage where the horn blows at the slightest provocation. It can be replaced with new foam sheet cut to fit.
Think the boss is held on by screws at the rear.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, thanks Ian. Sounds like it'll be that foam rubber sheet that's gone then Ian - I'll investigate later.
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

L 400s have a screw at the back of the steering wheel, that needs to be undone to remove the Horn cover.

So - Double check for a screw.

There should be no need to remove the steering boss.

HTH

Mr D
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Deker says you only need to remove the top cover not the whole steering wheel boss.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did that in the dead of night once Embarassed  Embarassed

One cross head screw under the bottom of steering wheel (when centered) and a spade connector under the horn push to remove horn button.
Easy fix :-)

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ embarrassing!!

Thanks for the info. Will tackle it this weekend (after I fit a new drive shaft on the 106 - noticed the front wheel arch was splattered with grease from a split in the gaiter while I was grovelling around doing the rear brakes Sad )
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - what a strange contraption it is! Thanks for the info regarding the single screw - once found it was easy to remove the boss. But then things get really odd! It's a great lump of a thing, but for no really obvious reason! Anyhow - it consists of a big lump of metal surrounded by a white plastic framework which is then covered in a grey rubber skin (the bit you see when the boss is in place on the steering wheel). You have to peel the rubber cover off the plastic frame. On top of the frame is a silver metal plate with a pattern of raised bumps on it. On top of this is a copper(y) plate - and sandwiched between the two metal plates is the previously mentioned foam sheet, with numerous holes in it, all aligned with the bumps in the metal plate. On mine the foam has indeed collapsed. The idea is that when the driver presses anywhere on the top of the rubber boss, the copper plate is pushed into contact with the metal bumps to close the horn circuit. Under normal circumstances the foam keeps the two metal contacts apart. Since the foam on mine has collapsed, the two sheets are pushed into contact merely by the weight of the rubber skin of the boss flexing down onto it.

Anyway, I cut a piece of cardboard the same shape as the metal plate. I then cut most of the middle out of this cardboard shape (so it was really just a cardboard outline about a centimetre wide). I carefully separated the two metal plates (leaving the foam attached to one of them) and inserted the cardboard 'outline' into the foam sandwich and put the boss back together. I didn't find any need to glue or fix anything since the metal/foam/card sandwich is held in place by the rubber boss skin. The additional 'loft' the card provides between the two metal sheets is now enough to stop them touching under normal circumstances, but the horn works when the middle of the boss is pressed. okay, there's a small 'dead zone' around the perimeter of the boss top, where the cardboard outline in the sandwich now prevents the contact being made, but it's not an issue (don't think it'll cause any MOT problems next month).

Cheers for all the pointers folks!

>> OOPS!! Just noticed I have accidentally put this in the Common Room part of the forum. Lewis, sorry to have to bother you, but would it be possible to move this to the L300 technical forum please (if that seems more appropriate)? Thanks! <<
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done!  Smile

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: