Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Advice for drilling tailgate (L400) to fit rear ladders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaylem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 13:04    Post subject: Advice for drilling tailgate (L400) to fit rear ladders Reply with quote

Hi guys,

My vehicle:

2002 Delica High Roof L400

I have some terzo ladders that have the top tailgate plate/fitting missing and am adaping a steel pipe bracket to fit the top of the ladder. The bottom two terzo brackets with rubber feet fit snugly under the tailgate so I have a secure fixing on the main/bottom section of ladder.

Once I remove the tailgate trim, the holes I need for secure bolt fittings will be at either side, and just above the rear window washer jet

so the question(s) is...

.is this possible from anyone elses experience?
. do I need to re-enforce with a steel plate OR, are there some kind of vehicle/sheet metal raw bolt or something I could use?

I think this is my only option as I have been looking for second hand ladders to fit for nearly a year now and I only got hold of these from the guy who sold me this L400 (mitsubish Delica dealer had loads of spare roof racks, ladders, bits etc) but he didn't have the correct ladder/fittings so we just put together the best fit and knew I would need to adapt it?

To be honest I would rather have the ladder permi-fixed to the vehicle anyway because the other/original fixing can just be easily removed and this way I can double lock bolt the ladders from the inside of the tailgate/vehicle.

also, a fantastic info base on here... superb actually and very essential and much needed and appreciated.

Thank you,

Kaylem

(Moved question here. Delica Mods section is for showing vehicle 'Modifications' you have done to your own Deli. Moderator)

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 13:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top of the tailgate by the washer jet is double skinned.

The gap between the inner and outer skins is about 20mm.

I fitted a bike rack and spare wheel holder to my tailgate by packing the gap with hard wood so the two skins didn't crush when bolted up.

Been on and used for seven years or so.
Kaylem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did look at a bunch of pictures on this forum of a guy who fitted a lock mechanism and had pic of the tailgate without the fascia/plastic trim but it didn't show the upper part really. It did give me an indication though of the structure and when I looked I guessed that it may be/should be double skinned. I did contemplate jamming it but wasn't sure... because if it didn't work I'd have 4 holes in my tailgate that would stare at me and haunt me forever, lol.  Laughing  Laughing

You my mate have put my mind at rest and now I can put my ladders on so I can access my roof-rack and put my light bars on without using my annoying rattley aluminium step laddders

Thanks YOZA..... you saved the day. :D

Very much appreciated buddy,

Kaylem.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a phot on this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49124

That will let you see the top part of the inside of the tailgate.

NB: it will probably have been Rusty's website post about doing a tailgate latch you saw.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea
Just been thinking a bit more on this and wondered about the possibility of using some high density expanding foam, as a filler.

If you drilled a small hole on each side of where you wanted to mount the ladder and injected a small amount and let it set, it would act as a barrier.

You could then fill the inner part, which would expand to fill alll the space, with excess foam coming out of the filler hole. With a small plate, or wide washers outside the skin to spread the load. It should work provided the foot mountings do not let the ladder move downwards and potentially buckle the outer skin.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that expanding foam would take the crushing force, but hardwood (mahogony or beech, but not oak-it's acidic) spacers sound good, and relatively easy to make, glued into place with body filler to ensure a perfect fit.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going on that having seen the weight of some people I have seen climbing ladders up the back of motorhomes, where their ladders are fixed into foam filled rear panels.

How do you propose to get lengths of wood into the void between the inner and outer panels. I doubt the length of the ladder is high enough to reach the upper area of the tailgate that is above the void, i.e. Above the rubber seal.  Question

ルイス
Kaylem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expanding foam sounds like a good way to go as long as I can be 100% that it will set solid (and with maybe a little give), maybe do a stress test with brackets, biscuit tin and some foam to see if it hold up!

But, if I can get a piece of hardwood into where I want the ladders positioned easily enough Ill do that or maybe a combination of both.

Cheers for the info on oak too bud, I didn't know that it could cause acidic problems!

I was also looking at the mystery machines latest pics and the ladders on there look permi-fixed but that is an older model and I'm not sure if this strategy applies or if its one skin metal tailgate?

all these ideas are going into my thinking cap guys  Idea  and are all greatly appreciated.

thanks for your time and responses and I think this post may be very useful because if you want ladders on your L400 I think adapting other models and types of ladder may be the only way to go as it seems Kryptonite is more common than finding correctly fitting L400 steps.

Kaylem.
skiorsail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ladders I have used have not needed bolting just hooked over top and bottom of door , it should be possible just to bend some stainless steel to fit , mine held 5 sets of skis on , and never shifted.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 16:09    Post subject: Re: Advice for drilling tailgate (L400) to fit rear ladders Reply with quote

Sudden thought on rereading your first post:-

Kaylem wrote:
?.. The bottom two terzo brackets with rubber feet fit snugly under the tailgate ......

Once I remove the tailgate trim, the holes I need for secure bolt fittings will be at either side, and just above the rear window washer jet ......

That means the ladder will be central, as opposed to the normal offside fitting.

You may find that will attract some overzealous plod, claiming it interferes with the ANPC cameras, etc, not being able to read the number plate ?   Evil or Very Mad

ルイス
Kaylem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant observation. YES, you are correct of that probability (but I know nothing until they ask/pull me  Laughing ) and have already realised that I may have to move my reg plate to a visibly more clear and unobstructed position (on top of tailgate sticker or to one side of the central position if this is allowed. Ill have to check the DVLA requirements unless someone knows on here?

cheers,

Kaylem
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put it wherever you want on the back, provided it can be seen from a following vehicle and you also fit a lamp by it to light it up at night.

NB: The lamp is mandatory and comes under the MoT test.  Wink

ルイス
Kaylem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that. Well maybe it'll be okay then as the reg is not obstructed whatsoever from directly behind!

Kaylem
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis - I don't know how I would get the wood inside the tailgate, I just ass+you+me'd that Yoza had somehow done it! Embarassed
YOZA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pieces of wood were passes through each of the cable entry gland rubbers, then dragged along to their fixing positions by a length of twine. Idea

The OP wants to find a way of fixing his top plate to the tailgate, well the best way is to use similar to the the original fixings, which is simply to use two roof rack triangular, lipped clamps and hook them over the top lip of the tail gate. Then the more weight you add, the tighter the fixing becomes, no drilling either. You must check that the clamps don't foul when the tailgate opens as the gap between the tailgate top and roof panel is small.
Kaylem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to state that I have fitted my ladders. I made a bracket like the original ones in the end from 2mm metal plate (mild steel). Was a lot easier than I thought, just measured and cut it to size, I think it was 200mm sq then just put in a vice and bent a curve in it, put it on the ladders, fitted it all and then finished off the bending/shaping by just putting my weight on the ladders and used a foam backing under the plate so no scratching the paint. I then adjusted the bottom tailgate brackets that hook underneath to tighten it all and that actually then bent the upper plate to the contours of the tailgate plate section bracket. The top brackets / fitting I used where marine hinges that swivel so the plate could move when affixed.

It is now as solid as a rock and have used it most day when camping to store awning, water, and shower unit on top as well a chair and other bits and bobs when I'm only dawdling along country lanes at slow speeds so I have extra space in the vehicle. Thanks all you guys who replied and gave me ideas and ways to contemplate the best route to take with this. The whole lot cost: ladders from a shogun or some other mitsy from the dealer I bought Delica from - brackets about £15 - Mild Steel Plate £5 and used some paint that I already have to rust proof the steel plate and then lacquer it all = £0 ... Total cost: £70. I cleaned the aluminium ladders and polished them so now look like new.

A new ladder can be purchased from a welding / metal company in Widnes for £325 + £40 delivery, I did ask him to only supply the fittings as I had the ladders, bottom brackets but they did not reply on a couple of occasions so its all saved me that price.

cheers. Happy Chappy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: