Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Reliability for towing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DjDemonD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 0:44    Post subject: Reliability for towing Reply with quote

I have a 1996 L400, had it for about 3 years, no major issues changed a few bits of suspension, serviced it etc.. It has 146k miles showing (some was in km's but I don't know how much).

I am thinking about using it to tow a mid-large size caravan on a trip to Europe for a month.

What should I be thinking about doing to it? Rear suspension stiffening?

Any known issues using the L400 for towing. Is it likely to be reliable?

We are contemplating going for a year travelling around later on, the one month trip is a trial run. Do you think it will stand up to it, or should I bite the bullet and accept that a newer vehicle is more likely to give me less trouble?

I love my Delica, and I'm handy with a spanner.

Thanks in advance.

(Moved to Towing and technical Forum. Moderator)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 0:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is try the one month, see how it goes.

Generally, Delica's are quite reliable - considering their age(s). After 21 years metal does fatigue and wear.

Would a newer vehicle be more reliable, hmm - "How long is half a length of string"  Question

Or "6 of one, half a dozen of the other"

One main advantage of a newer vehicle is -
A) Parts availability (especially abroad)
B) more garages/mechanics will know about them. And have diagnostic equipment.

Personally, if I were to go abroad (which I don't) I would be quite happy to use my L400
I do go to other countries - Wales & Scotland, just get ready to camp in the car, fill up with fuel, and go  Smile

I have towed a 4 wheel trailer to the far edge of Gloucestershire and back (a measly 250 miles) with no problems,
the Delica didn't know the trailer was there   Smile

Just My opinion  Rolling Eyes

Mr D
kev1nlm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my L400 to go down to Hungary towing a very overloaded caravan and being very overloaded itself, whilst there I used it to carry a lot of building materials and then it drove us back through the alps easily. It is well maintained, the chain has been done and a filter head mod has been done. The only problem I had was an exhaust clamp broke which I replaced for about a pound! I would jump in it now and drive it anywhere, I've always found the key to minimal breakdowns is good maintenance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: