Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

brake caliper - replace or refurb?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:34    Post subject: brake caliper - replace or refurb? Reply with quote

So in the midst of disassembling much of the front suspension, I've got my front brake caliper(s) off.

Piston and dust boot looking rather iffy? Is it worth trying to source a rebuild kit? Or better to just find a new caliper altogether? Perhaps even L400/Shogun one as per here?

Worth noting I wasn't getting any problems (as far as I know) with the brakes, no binding or anything, but braking power has never been brilliant...

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Milners, I got one from them a few years ago for £77, fitted straight on to Mitsi FI no problems.
Send vehicle number with order so you get the right one.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, I don't think they have any anymore - at least not listed on the website. They have the L400 ones, though, more expensive...
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refurbished my MX-5 calipers last summer with new seals. A lot cheaper than replacing the calipers. As long as the piston and barrel of the brake are still in good condition with no scratching or pitting then it should be a tidy job.

Having access to a compressed air line made removing the piston much easier as one was sticking.

I know the Deli is a little larger than the MX-5, but not that much.

Rich
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:
Thanks Ian, I don't think they have any anymore - at least not listed on the website. They have the L400 ones, though, more expensive...

That is down to them having more components, the L400 has twin piston calipers on the front wheels.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 18:34    Post subject: Re: brake caliper - replace or refurb? Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:
So in the midst of disassembling much of the front suspension, I've got my front brake caliper(s) off.

Piston and dust boot looking rather iffy? Is it worth trying to source a rebuild kit? Or better to just find a new caliper altogether?

If the calipers are good, personally I would rebuild. Done it loads O times  Smile

Mr D
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I might just give it a go. I do have some time on my hands after all, as with all the work that needs doing to poor old Selma she's likely to be off the road for a few months yet... Sad

So - two further questions arise.

1. Can anyone suggest where I can buy rebuild kits for these calipers? I've had a Google around and can't find anything so any pointers greatly appreciated.

2. To get the piston out, is compressed air a necessity, or is there some alternative trick?
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said that though, I am tempted by fitting some L400 calipers... they do look rather sexy:

http://dinoevo.de/brake-upgrade/
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the piston and slider gaiters intact, not split? Do they slide okay? Sliders are easy enough to clean up and service, pistons are a little bit more fiddly. Remember to use red brake grease, DON'T use copper grease - it dries up from the heat and makes things stick. Have your pads been wearing evenly - they'll be a good indicator of what is working properly? Did it always brake evenly? Probably the reason why Mitsubishi put twin pots on the L400 was that the L300 required more pedal pressure than modern drivers expected. But if they stop too quickly, the back end can lift off! Now I've serviced/fixed mine, I find them pleasantly progressive. If your calipers aren't leaking, new discs and pads might be a more effective buy.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Are the piston and slider gaiters intact, not split?

To be honest Andy, other than the piston itself, the dust boot on the piston is the thing I'm most concerned about... In one of the pics above you can see it has lifted slightly which causes me to worry it might not be very pretty in there... That, and the visible rust on the piston itself...
Slider and slider boots seem fine - sliding fine and as far as I know braking has always been even... on the front at least!

andyman wrote:
But if they stop too quickly, the back end can lift off!

Ha- yes, it can indeed. I have some experience...  Shocked
I will be checking the rear brake business

Coincidentally, I've just answered one of my own questions from above  Embarassed
Found a piston refurb kit (new seals etc for both calipers) for £18, and new pistons (which I suspect might be needed) for £23 (both). All being well, that would be £41 for two refurbished calipers... Which, given the expected expense for everything I'm looking at, is very temting...
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliper piston tool

Very helpful tool. Fits my Deli calipers to pull the pistons out.

Shop around for a good price
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:
1. Can anyone suggest where I can buy rebuild kits for these calipers?

Try Febest:- https://shop.febest.eu/catalog/braking-system.html?brand=MITSUBISHI&model=Delica&year=1992&body=P35W

As Andy said too much braking force on the front end will have you going nose down and potentially straight over if you do an emergency braking manoeuvre.

I'm not sure on the caliper carrier size on the L300, so you would need to check ithat an L400 unit bolts to the hub first.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmh yes. Perhaps fiddling with L400 calipers is not as good an idea as I'd like it to be... As for fit, provided you swap the caliper carrier over,
apparently the swap is pretty straightforward, though.

Anyway - as above, I think cost alone is leading me towards the rebuild route of what I have.

Thanks for the links - I shall have a look.
skiorsail

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brakeparts.co.UK. and Brakesint.co.UK are worth comparing with eBay for your brake parts. I keep spares for mine because you usually discover the pistons are rusty or the seal when you replace the pads, just be careful to get correct diameter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: