4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Two alternatives to Photobucket photo links: HOWTO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 23:18    Post subject: Two alternatives to Photobucket photo links: HOWTO Reply with quote

Hi, so given the havoc, general mayhem and confusion that the capitalist *beep* at Photobucket have caused recently, I thought I'd post a step by step guide to a couple of alternatives. Neither are paid-for sites, and both need accounts, and both have TOC's, and both probably have some hidden depths that may well mean you are either signing over your soul (or at least photographs) or whatnot to them, but it's the best I have at the moment, at least for those of us too skint/tight-fisted/stubborn to cough up some dough for more security.

I realise this is probably like telling granny how to suck eggs for some of you, but it might be useful to others...

Use with caution...

OPTION 1. Flickr

So currently, Flickr is free to use up to a point, with some maximum upload size etc. Here is how you upload and link to photos on here.

1. Open an account (duh) if you already have one, and log in.
2. On your main landing page, click on the upload button (top right hand side, little cloud with an arrow upwards).
3. The resulting page should speak for itself "Drag & drop photos and videos here". Simply use your favourite computer browsing tool (Windows Explorer or Finder, or sommat), select some files, drag them over the browser window and drop them in.
4. The selected images should appear in the screen, with now a menu on the left hand side.
5. I'm assuming you want to keep your photos "private", as in not publicly visible to the Interwebs at large. If so, make sure all your photos are selected in the upload screen - you can tell this y a pink outline around each image. If they are not selected, hold the "shift" key, click the first one (top left), scroll down to the last one, click that one, release shift key. This should select them all.
6. Now, to set the photos to "private", in the left hand column, under "Owner settings", click on where it says "visible to everyone". This should cause a little list to appear. In this list, select "Only you (private)".
7. You are now done and ready to upload the photos, so click the blue "upload" button on the top right hand side.
8. Once done, this should return you to your main landing page with each of your photos now ready to use.
9. Click on the thumbnail of the photo you want to link to. On the bottom right hand side, click on the arrow pointing to the right (middle one of the row of five icons).
10. This shoudl open a "Share 1 photo to..." window. In this window, click on "bbcode". From the drop down menu, select the size of the image you want to link to. In effect this is "on the fly" resizing, quite useful for when you want to link to smaller versions of your bigger images (like on the MDOCUK forum!)... I suggest 640x360 pixels.
11. Now copy the string of code that is generated for you, and paste this into your forum post. It should look like this:

Code:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/VCDF5x][img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4309/35201653163_4751baa306_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/VCDF5x]20170611_173547a[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/spreeuw/]jejoenjeM[/url], on Flickr

You can leave it like this, or do what I do and remove everything before and after the [img] and [/img] bits, so it looks like this:

Code:
[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4309/35201653163_4751baa306_z.jpg[/img]

That's you now done. Complete your post and bask in the warm glow that is a Photobucket free post!  Wink

OPTION 2: Cubeupload

I haven't used this at all yet, in fact I only just found the site. However it seems easy to use. Although they probably want your soul (and photos), too. Nevermind... protest

1. Open account. If you don't have one.
2. As above, pick some photos from your computer, drag and drop them into the main landing page. If they are not larger than 5mb, they should appear as thumbnails.
3. Click "start upload" button in the top right.
4. Now select the photo you want to use in your post.
5. Below the photo you should have a couple of strings of text appear. Select one of these. Copy it.
6. Paste this text into your forum post, where you want it to appear. It should look like this:
Code:
http://u.cubeupload.com/jejoenje/20170611173547a.jpg

7. Now make sure you put '[img]' before, and '[/img'] after this string of text. Do not forget the square brackets, or the "dash" in front of the latter. You need them. It should now look like this:
Code:
[img]http://u.cubeupload.com/jejoenje/20170611173547a.jpg[/img]

You are now done. Finish writing. Have a cup of tea. coffee2  hiding

Anyway - just as a disclaimer, I do not work for Flickr or Cubeupload, have nothing to do with them, use at your own risk. I'm probably old and cynical and grumpy, but I work by the adage that whatever I put on the interwebs basically becomes public good. It's a good way of stopping myself becoming even more grumpy and cynical. Mostly.
Unfortunately it doesn't stop the grey hairs...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 23:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is well enough explained and potentially so simple that I am tempted to give it a try! Thanks Jejoenje, watch this space,, or alternatively the skies south of the border as my computer explodes! Smile
gotbeanz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this @jejoenje looks like I will be sorting out and updating my posts this weekend Crying or Very sad
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
or alternatively the skies south of the border as my computer explodes! Smile

Or your head  Shocked  Wink

Mr D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: