Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Crispy roof fun!! Part one.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:
I hope I haven't made a bit of an error by bonding the new steel to the braces as well.

I think you've made the right choices (let's face it, the Mitsu factory seem to have made all the wrong ones Smile )
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 0:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now ,(before you put the interior back in), might be a good time to use a tin of spray grease to spray into the inaccessible parts of the roof structure to give it a coating of something penetrating to soak into any rust spots and repel moisture. I have also discovered m/cycle spray on chain wax, - great for handbrake cables and linkages and spare wheel cradle bolts etc. The fact that they both spray as a penetrating liquid, but dry off to form a flexible seal is a boon for parts exposed to moisture that need to be able to move. Alternatively, for body cavities,  Shocked  slightly thinned Waxoyl, or Dinitrol in one of those trigger-operated garden or cleaner spray bottles.
gotbeanz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

jejoenje do you think you could do those reaprs without removing the interior?
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy - yes that's a good idea. I've actually got some Dinitrol spray wax, which I mostly got for the chassis cavities, but I'll use some on the roof areas as well. I've already just gone mental with spray-on rust convertor into every hole I could find (fnarr). Motorcycle chain wax sounds interesting... does that have a higher melting point as well? I'm just thinking summer sunshine on a (now) black roof, nice and toasty...

Gotbeanz - funnily enough I was wondering that just the other day. I *think* you probably could, actually, with the exception of the front part. The back section in between the Crystalites would just need careful cutting, and you'd just be able to hoover out any rust bits that have made their way on top of the inside lining.
However, if you really wanted to remove the sunroof and sunroof casette, I think you'd have to remove the lining in the front, at least - but that can be done without doing the back as well.
One thing is though, you wouldn't get to see all teh really bad rusty bits in some parts on the inside - but maybe that's a good thing...  Laughing
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually made quite a bit of progress on this a while back, but just haven't had the time to update.
New metal on roof now prepped and painted with a couple of layers of rust preventer, couple of layers of cheapo matt black and a couple of layers of the same truck bed liner I used for the bull bar.

The result is very far from perfect (I think I really need to work on my body filler sanding skills!) but I'm happy enough with it. The most obviously visible bits (the sides and front of the roof) look pretty nice IMO, interestingly the flat sections on the top were the tricky bit to get looking perfectly even with the liner paint. Not sure why this is, it might be that rollering it on would actually be easier.
Perhaps most importantly, so far not a hint of movement or leaks! I did also fill the joints in between the roof metal and the Crystalites with a liberal helping of PU sealant - the joints are now almost flush with the window edge - because I was getting some water ingress through there, I think.

Here's a few shots:

I've now got most of the inside trim back in as well, as well as the first steps at the camper back fitted, more photos of that later/elsewhere.

I must admit, I like the finish so much that ... I'm now considering painting the whole top section (currently green) of the truck in the same matt black / truck bed liner... I think it would look nice... Any views on this??
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely like the finish of the truck bed liner paint, - it looks a bit like teflon. Do you know how well it sticks to plastic? I was thinking it would smarten up the lower body mouldings, rear step/bumper and bull bar cover, all of which look a bit tired on mine. There's always plastic primer, but if it isn't necessary, why waste the money?
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually painted the plastic moulding on the side door step with it, too, Andy. I did use some adhesion promotor (U-Pol I think but I can check) but it seems to have stuck VERY well, and that step does get quite a bit of abuse. Here's some photos

Sorry don't have any close ups or photos after use (its pretty grubby now but paint seems to be holding) - can take some later this week.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I checked, its ProXL Progrip adhesion promoter I used under the liner.
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! Also looking forward to seeing the developing camper conversion.
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the roof - looks great to me! Anything is going to be better than rusty, leaky bubbles!
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I've noticed some drips coming in around my Crystalites too. I think they've been there for some time - probably hidden from as they would have been running down the steel side panels behind the roof and pillar liners. My laziness in not replacing the trim yet has shown this up at least!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: