Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Crispy roof fun!! Part one.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hats off to you mate. I've got a welder and an MGF with 2 rusty sill sections cut out. It's been like that for 2 years. I look at it, walk around it, then go and have another cup of tea!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 18:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you have a nice large Barn to work in  Wink  But DON'T set fire to it, IF you find time to do any welding  Shocked

I am working on my Delica, out on my not too big a driveway.
Today it rained, not amusing, when one is trying to under paint car, and re-assemble brake, suspension & steering parts  Crying or Very sad

Add to that, 5 wheels and tyres off to shotblast and re paint the wheels -
And the Bull Bars = I'm tired, definitely "Lack the Energy of Youth"  Sad

MOT expires tomorrow, car will not be ready  Crying or Very sad  Road Tax expires Friday, car will not be ready - for MOT  Shocked

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I feel really lazy and guilty. I'm amazed at your stamina and determination, Mr D. Especially after what you have been through medically this year.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, funnily enough I was thinking that if I did have a welder, I might have hummed and hah'ed a lot longer before doing this - I guess it might make the repair a bit more permanent, but I guess any mistakes are, too! ;)

Deker wrote:
At least you have a nice large Barn to work in

Ha - I wish!! The background to these shots is a tad misleading - the brick wall is the neighbour's boundary wall and this is actually outside on the drive! The filing cabinet is a stray from all the moving and is currently being used to store bird seed in!  Laughing
Mind you, a barn would be fab... Or even just a larger garage... or even a tarp and some poles...

Like Andy says - well done for being out and working on your truck today - I spent most of the day inside, worried about my roof "repairs" keeping the rain out! (so far so good!)
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Now I feel really lazy and guilty. I'm amazed at your stamina and determination, Mr D. Especially after what you have been through medically this year.

Thank you for your kind remark  Wink

I don't think you are "Lazy", you do a lot of driving to work, in a part of the country that can have arduous weather conditions,
BIG trucks getting in the way, plus the holiday drivers (who - me  Rolling Eyes) - and the caravan towers  Evil or Very Mad
And you seem to know quite a bit about L 300s, presumably from experience  Wink

Determination - The job has to be done, mostly 'cos L400 Delica's (same must go for L 300s) are a very special car.
To my knowledge there is just nothing out there that compares to Delica's = A brilliant 4 * 4  MPV   :D

My L400 tho a bit scruffy. In the ten years I've owned it, has been good mechanically  :D
hopefully I can carry out a "Preservation Order" IN the chassis this year.
However - - -
Other work - On a Lotus Elan, complete spray paint a new body shell, shotblast and paint the wheels.
Paint 2 Taxi panels, hopefully paint 2 panels on Delica) may prevent me from doing that. And housework (cleaning) - err what  Exclamation

Medically - Two days after operation, I was good, but the restrictive discomfort/pain of 9 months of that catheter has weakened me  Sad

Mr D
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress update for this weekend.
Started taking the back sections of the rotten roof out on Saturday, but given that it was forecast to be a typical scottish summer's day on Saturday, I made this contraption:

Ufnfortunately the tarp was well leaky but I guess it kept the worst out.

Out came the grinder. Much grinding ensued:

Hurrah! More crispy bits!

Because it worked very well on the front section, I decided to just get some more of the hideously overpriced epoxy panel bond, and set a couple of sections of sheet metal into place on the back. It may turn out to be the worst mistake ever, but to hold the panels tightly into place during curing, I used some sheet metal screws, with the heads ground down after the epoxy set properly.

I must admit I am worried about this being total weaknesses for future rust, but made doubly sure to seal the tops of the screw heads properly... And anyway, if this holds for a few years, I'll be happy.
Looking through these photos, it looks so quick and easy but getting to this stage took pretty much all of both Saturday and Sunday...
At least I got to the painting stage!

... I've got a bunch of coats of paint on just before the light failed this evening. First attempt *ever* at painting any car panels, and I guess in true rank amateur fashion I was silly enough to just use rattle cans. Turns out it really is quite difficult to do well...  Rolling Eyes Anyway, I recently used some truck bed liner on the bull bar (post elsewhere) and really liked the finish (very forgiving  Laughing ) so I opted to use that as the topcoat for the roof. I *think* it turned out better than I thought it would, but will have to confirm in daylight tomorrow... Photos to follow.
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am well impressed. Where did you get the truck bed liner paint? I have removed and extended the brackets on my spare wheel cradle, so it now holds the 265/70/15 spare (just).The floor, chassis and crossmembers in this area need cleaning off and a suitably tough, smooth coating applied for protection.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paint I used for the bull bar came from Halfords, Andy - it's pretty decent and not actually that expensive.

I then got a set of four cans of Hycote bed liner off eBay which I used for the roof (Halfords ran out). Both were much of muchness, I can't really tell the difference. Good coverage, even on a couple of coats.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, meant to say - it might be that basic underbody paint would do just as well as the truck bed liner, and my local auto paint shop sells 500ml spray cans of the former for something like £5. I used that on and around the metal behind the valance, and it seems to be pretty chip-resistant. We'll see how it holds up, though...
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really neat, great to see. Good work! Smile Smile Smile
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Smile
I'm quite pleased with it. Its very far from perfect, but I've learnt a lot, and arguably that was the whole point...
I've got most of it painted now, just done the last couple of end bits towards the tailgate hinges yesterday, and they still need painting. Once that's done, and I've given the old lady a wash (oo-err), I'll post some photos.
gotbeanz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I havnt been on much of late just catching up with work,
jejoenje that's looking really good mate how'd you get on with the
panel resin? and what grade and thicknes metal did you use?
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The panel epoxy *seems* really good. We'll see how it holds up, but it seems to be living up to its "structural" tag. Seems to set rock solid and hold very well. I did some tests of this vs. some Sikaflex on a spare panel, and although I could easily pry the Sikaflex ones apart, the epoxy bond stuff I could bend as much as I like and it stayed.

I must admit though, I really, really, really hope it holds. Don't really want to have to do this again. Nor do I want anything start to come off the roof at speed...  Shocked

I used a mix of 0.9 and 1 mm steel sheets; the former is a tad bit easier to shape and I guess will be lighter to hold for the bond, the latter is good for the sections are more or less just flat.
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you bond the steel sheets to the roof frame "hoops", and if so, did you use the epoxy? Was there evidence of them being bonded originally? If it was the same panel seam mastic they use on the infamous scuttle seals that cause "wet foot syndrome", then it would seem this is more of a "when" than an "if" problem, given how these vehicles vibrate on cold tickover.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did bond the new panels to the cross braces, yes, after cleaning the latter with lots of rust remover and anti-rust paint.

Yes, there was some evidence to the existence of previous bonding (just blobs, looks like disintrated adhesive of some sort? I'll find a pic later) right where the worst of the rust was. Basically as mouseflakes' and others' findings. No idea if its the same mastic, perhaps, but I guess if it was, I hope it will at least keep for a bit longer. At least there is now some anti-rust paint around those parts, the worrying part is that there must be plenty of other parts of the roof that haven't been treated that I couldn't get to.
gotbeanz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest epoxy resin has come a long way in the last
20 years and if it lasts another 20 happy days, that would be a result.

Those cross members really didn't look too bad compared to how rusty the roof was.
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotbeanz wrote:
if it lasts another 20 happy days, that would be a result

I read that at 20 happy days, followed by a very unhappy day 21 Smile

If the 25 year old bonding that was holding the rear quarters on my Discovery is anything to go by, I'm sure the new stuff will work well.

By the way, my roof wasn't bonded to the cross braces but instead there were these rubber blocks, pushed onto the braces and holding the roof skin away to prevent chaffing (oooh!). Having said that, it looks like the blocks have actually held on to moisture and exacerbated the rusting.

gotbeanz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I read that at 20 happy days, followed by a very unhappy day 21 Smile

It does seem to read that way Embarassed but you know what i mean Laughing

Interesting mouseflake I wounder if jejoenje had removed them when he took his picture.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha!

I had indeed removed them. So in my case, they were so bad, that I had assumed these blocks were actually part of the adhesive holding the roof to the braces... They basically looked like crumbly bits of biscuit!  Laughing
Anyway... I hope I haven't made a bit of an error by bonding the new steel to the braces as well. I guess my thinking was just less chafing, and more points to "hold on" should an adverse gust of wind take a liking to my roof ... now I am worried about the whole thing shaking itself apart! Can't win... guess I'll just have to go gentle on the potholes from now on!
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and no, the cross members themselves weren't too bad. Pretty much all surface rust only. I think that they might actually be a slightly thicker gauge steel than the roof skin itself, so that would have helped.
Like I said, its the bits that I couldn't quite get to to treat, is what I'm a bit worried about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: