4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Crispy roof fun!! Part one.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the plan! Smile As soon as the rain subsides enough to have a chance to stick tape to the roof...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 23:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tonight I couldn't help myself and I felt compelled to commence the grinding...

Started only lightly, on the passenger side, i.e. the "best" side. Arriving at this stage didn't take long:

In for a euro, in for a pound I suppose...

I know! Let's take the sunroof out, I'm sure that will make me feel better... oh...

ARGH! HOLE!

Never mind the massive holes above, I was kind of expecting those. This bit here, however, worries me a little more as it's going to be a right pain in the backend patching. Plus I hadn't realised there was any rot there - no wonder it seemed to be leaking from right above the rear view mirror!

Here is my progress for the night, in all its gory glory:

So my original half-baked plan was to try to patch sections of metal in but preserve most of what's there, including the sunroof, as per the post on the US forum gotbeanz linked to above... I'm now thinking I may just take out the entire sunroof and the full (approximately rectangular) section ahead of the front crystalites... I think that would be easier...
Anyway, the sunroof glass is back temporarily and all the holes have been patched with lots of duct tape, to keep the inevitable downpour out... I may have to get creative with some tarp and tent poles, soon...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just order a complete new roof from Mitsubishi and replace it.

L300 roof exceed Crystal lite roof panel:- Item 78035

The one to order would depend on your bodytype, as shown in your chassis type number.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha - Lewis - that hadn't even occurred to me.. Might actually be an option... Although I reckon shipping could be "interesting"....  Smile
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

What shipping ?

You simply order it from your local Mitsu dealers parts dept, then collect it on arrival.

It will be shipped by them from Japan to the UK in their normal parts delivery containers, so no extra charges.  :D

Having your old roof off in one go makes it easier to get all the roof glass off and transfer it to the new one after it has been welded on and sealed.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now might be a good time to think about whether you want to do a proper high roof or pop-top camper conversion. An electric 'nibbler' is a less messy way of cutting long distances in steel sheet, it will take your lid off like a can opener.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's one of the options I've been mulling over. However, I think I've more or less decided I want to keep the crystalites more than I want a pop-top roof. Plus I wouldn't really be able to afford one, right now anyway...
johnnyc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to know how much a whole new roof would cos!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsubishi MB835196 Crystal lite Roof Panel US$ 1,238.49

Supplied by Amayama:- https://www.amayama.com/en/search?q=MB506768

HTH

ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis. I think for that sort of money I might sooner consider getting the whole thing professionally welded. I think that would be cheaper!

I'm opting for the "try to patch it and see how quickly it starts leaking again" first. I'm going for panel bond which I'm currently testing (seems rock solid!), and I'm awaiting some sections of sheet metal. Wish me luck!

Incidentally, does any one know what PNC# 78366, i.e. MB506775 refers to? I think it's the roof brace that sits below the skin, just in front of the front crystalites? But on the parts diagrams I can find online it is drawn at the front of the roof, not where I think it should be?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct.

It is the front supporting roof rail and common to all the Roofs, not just the sunroof options. The rear one is item no 78367 in the diagram.

The extra braces are for the LWB roof.

ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been pressing ahead, both with removing the inside of the lining as well as the top.

All empty now:

Sadly, lots more rust appeared towards the back  :?

Really bad bit, interestingly, just above where the four relays for the Crystalite blinds motors are attached:

A slight touch of the grinder and wire brush poked some more holes within seconds:

This is only just behind from the sunroof and the first cross brace, so lots more to do.

Prepped for surgery... bit scared now... not sure when I'll work up the courage yet...  Shocked  Crying or Very sad

Deker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know -

You're not alone with red disease problems  Crying or Very sad

Wonder if the nice moderators could start a new thread = Rust and how to repair it. L 300 & L400.
Or a thread for each model.

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

There are more than 236,907 posts on this website.

How many days do you think it would take a Moderator to read through them to find the ones about rust and split them off into a new section ?  Whilst ensuring any links to those posts and ensure they are redirected to the new one.

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put "L300 rust" or "L400 rust" in the subject box before posting on the topic. Then anyone searching for info on the subject wiill find it. Or people can add to existing threads, like this one or Mouseflakes'.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deker wrote:
Just to let you know -
You're not alone with red disease problems  Crying or Very sad

Thanks Mr D, I appreciate that.. and sadly, I know!

For the record - I did search, extensively, on here and elsewhere, and found much, including mouseflakes' post as linked to earlier in this thread. None of this was/is supposed to be "novel", just thought it might be useful for people elsewhere/in the future to have reference to how different people solved this problem. I did consider "adding" to existing posts, but not everyone appreciates it so it seemed more suitable to start a new one.

Lewis wrote:
How many days do you think it would take a Moderator to read through them to find the ones about rust and split them off into a new section ?

Lewis, very fair point but I think Deker's suggestion was only made to be helpful, and not intended as a specific request intended to be taken personally...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished a bit of an epic afternoon/evening - just decided to plough ahead... what's the worst that can happen!

Choppy chop:

I think from now on she shall be known as Frankenselma:

The latter photo long before I was finally finished, and before I started throwing panel bond epoxy around... sadly it looks a whole lot more ugly now  Embarassed

Guess I'll have lots of sanding to do, and some filling. And some painting...

Anyway - more soon. Was racing all evening to beat the darkness and the impending rain, so not so many photos latterly. Plus I am not sure how proud I am of the result yet...  Shocked
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Sir! Proving there's more than one way to (re)skin a (Deli)cat. It's a big undertaking, but given the state of your roof, doing nothing wasn't really an option (as I found with mine). It'll all be worth it - it's quite a nice feeling to know all the rain is staying on the outside. Smile
gotbeanz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking sweet jejoenje, its going to look really good and keep the rain out.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both! Smile

mouseflakes wrote:
Proving there's more than one way to (re)skin a (Deli)cat.

Let's hope so... only time will tell... I'm a bit scared  Shocked , but like you say, doing nothing was not an option and even welding would have needed sealing to some extent, I think.

gotbeanz wrote:
its going to look really good and keep the rain out

Here's to hoping, on both counts! To be honest I am a bit ham-fisted when it comes to any type of bodywork so if I can make it look anywhere half-decent I'll be pleased. As long as it does keep the weather out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: