Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Suspension "squeak" on front of L300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 19:14    Post subject: Suspension "squeak" on front of L300 Reply with quote

I've got a strange squeak at the nearside front of my L300 that has developed over the past week or so, and I'm having trouble identifying the cause...

Basically, best I can describe it is a crunching squeak coming from the nearside front of the vehicle, usually when braking and accelerating again after braking, and somewhat when turning corners. Also speedbumps. I can't hear anything when going over a slightly rough road surfaces, or when cruising smoothly. It's been steadily getting louder over the last few days.
I can replicate it by bouncing up and down on the front step, but oddly enough only when I've turned the steering wheel hard left - wheels straight ahead or hard right, no squeak on bounce.
At first I thought it could just be the shock absorber bushes (I replaced both front shocks a few weeks ago, although the noise has only developed over the last week, really), so I loosened all bolts on the shocks (bushes and top bolts are the new ones that came with the shocks), retightened, noise still there. As an experiment, earlier I actually I swapped the new shocks between sides, noise still there and it hasn't moved with the shock absorber.

I haven't done anything to the front of the vehicle (other than put in the new shocks and tweaked the torsion bars slightly to level out ride height on both sides).

Other than that I think its suspension noise, and it sounds "rubbery" (if that makes sense?), I'm confused as to what is causing it, given the symptoms...??

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, as always.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 19:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inner wishbone bushes? ARB bushes? You could try applying a little spray grease or hydraulic steering fluid one by one until the squeak disappears. Have you greased all the steering ball joints?
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks andyman... No I haven't greased the balljoints; good point... I don't actually own a grease gun! Hadn't occurred to me that it could be those... Will look into this, as well as try to spray the other bushes.
ARB ones look relatively new (they are the orange type). Can the wishbone bushes be greased effectively using just spray-on stuff, or would the wishbones have to come off?
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray grease is possibly not quite as penetrative as oils, but should  not attack rubber bushes. You need to apply a generous amount, as the dispersant quickly evaporates off. Orange bushes are probably polyeurethane, - no experience of those!  If you don't get round to greasing your nipples Shocked before the meet, I'll bring my grease gun.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:

ARB ones look relatively new (they are the orange type). Can the wishbone bushes be greased effectively using just spray-on stuff, or would the wishbones have to come off?

Orangebushes are made of Polyethylene. They require constant greasing otherwise they will wear a groove into the ARB. The original black rubber bushes are self lubricating.p

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like Andyman's hunch may have been right on the money. On further investigation the squeaking seemed definitely associated with steering rather than (just) bumps.
Had a closer look at the NS upper ball joint and it looks as though the rubber boot had slipped off the groove its supposed to sit in?? Does that even happen??  Shocked
Anyway, clearly much of the grease had escaped so I decided to bite the bullet and get a grease gun.
Spent about half an hour first trying to slip the boot back into place. Not even sure whether that's possible without dismantling the joint, but I gave it a go anyway. I think I managed to re-seat it so that at least not all of the fresh grease just got squirted straight out of the side...
Whether it holds, we shall see, but its mostly full of grease now and the squeaking appears to have gone... Fingers crossed! Smile
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those ball joint rubbers would retain grease better if they had a wire clip around them to keep the rubber lip in the groove. I dislodged mine with over-enthusiastic use of the grease gun. If left like that, the water and grit get in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: