Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 rear shocks replacement - where to buy?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 16:51    Post subject: L300 rear shocks replacement - where to buy? Reply with quote

Hello everybody!
On to the next issue with the bus now that the starting and heater are sorted out. :-)

I am in need of new shock absorbers on the back, the O/S one has completely sheared off its bracket!

I know there are a number of older posts on this (sorry) but I was wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere to buy them? Milners don't seem to have any in stock, and much of the suggestions from a few years ago now seem to be hard to find online?

There also are a bunch on fleabay but no idea whether any of those are any good?

Updated recommendations anyone?

Thanks! :-)

Jeroen
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 16:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which 'bracket' has sheared? According to Pink Pig's manual section 34, 4WD L300s have an eye with a bush at the top to fit onto a horizontal stud, and a vertical stud at the bottom which goes through a bracket welded to the axle at the bottom. Unfortunately, this is not the same as the L300 vans or Shoguns sold here, which had an eye at both ends. PP's manual gives full specs for the shockers but no part number, so you may have to take one off, and with the specs, compare it to others on line or at a local Monroe stockist or similar.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's right Andy, eye mount at the top and a vertical threaded pin at the bottom, which bolts onto the bracket on the axle with a couple of washers and bushes.

The shock "pin" at the bottom has actually snapped/sheared just above the top washer - so the shock mounting pin itself has failed. The bracket (on the axle) is fine, thankfully. Will post some photos tomorrow when I get the chance.

So the Monroe shocks are okay then? I've seen those on fleabay, with the right L300 4WD fitment - I think £80ish for a pair. Reasonable?
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they are genuine Monroe, and not some cheap fake. Have you found and checked their genuine website?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:
Yes that's right Andy, eye mount at the top and a vertical threaded pin at the bottom, which bolts onto the bracket on the axle with a couple of washers and bushes.

Is this what you are after - item 41422:-

Mitsubishi part number MB339213.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be the fella! Thanks Lewis.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've just ordered some Monroe rear shocks from Japanese 4x4 Spares; the seller I spotted on eBay but decided just to order off their website direct.

Anybody any tips on removing/replacing for L300 rear shocks? Looks straightforward enough to me but I guess you never know... are the top bolts easy enough to remove generally? Tips?

Will update when I come to try to fit them; hopefully next week weds/thurs.

Have a good weekend everyone!  Smile
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:

Anybody any tips on removing/replacing for L300 rear shocks? Looks straightforward enough to me but I guess you never know... are the top bolts easy enough to remove generally? Tips?

Will update when I come to try to fit them;
Have a good weekend everyone!  Smile

Make sure the axle is jacked up.

Hopefully the new shocks will be supplied with rubbers and new nuts. Most do.

If the nuts are not supplied - Then be careful. - - - Take off the lower nuts first.
You can check that the top bolts will move, before undoing the lower nuts - BUT don't take them out - before undoing the lower nuts.

The nuts are usually a pig to get off. If new ones are supplied, you can grind off the old nuts.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wire  brush both top and bottom mountings and soak with WD40 or Plus Gas  and allow to penetrate for a couple of hours before trying to undo. As the bottom mount has broken off, it may be easier to cut through the stud above or below the bracket to remove it. Is the top mounting not a threaded stud welded to the chassis? If so, be careful not to snap it if the nut won't release.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps! Very useful.
Yes I was going to use lots of penetrating oil beforehand, perhaps just do a couple of treatments while I'm waiting for the new shocks to arrive. I'm pretty sure the new ones come with new bolts and rubbers- the pic seems to suggest so. I'm pretty sure I will need them, anyway.
Andy, yes, I think the top mount is a stud attached to the chassis but I'm not 100%. Will report back.

Thanks again for the tips!
BarefootBennett

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity which shocks did you go for, and why ?
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for a pair of Monroe shocks supplied by japanese4x4spares.co.uk, although I'm still waiting for delivery (hopefully by Weds, would like to try to fit before the weekend if I can).

To be truthful I did not really go for them other than having heard of the brand before; and Andy's suggestion above as well. I don't have many requirements for them as long as they work and don't significantly change the ride height of the truck. And given relatively limited obvious choice (at least my searches didn't come up with many alternatives - Milners did not seem to have any in stock), I just went for something that should fit.

I will report back on my experience with them as and when.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry a bit late to this.
I got KYB gas shocks for the rear.
KYB Excel-G 343226
From these people.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/carfactorsuk

They've been fine - really plantwd on the road.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the new shocks in this morning. Probably only took an hour and a half for both, if that - surprisingly quick and easy although I had already got the broken one out completely before Christmas, just to make sure I could undo all the bolts. They were pretty seized but a bit of penetratring fluid and patience (not my strong point!) did the trick.
Re. the earlier comment - the new shocks did come with all rubbers for both top and bottom, as well as new washers and nuts, but not for the top one - I just re-used the old ones there as they were fine:

Pretty pleased with this! Smile Now, it does appear that my front is sagging slightly, relative to the rear. Will investigate torsion bars next I think. Silly question, but would new shocks in the front actually affect ride height?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those shocks will affect your ride neight as they are about 2" too short.  Rolling Eyes

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told size isn't everything!  Laughing  Ooo-err!

I may go to some gas shocks in the future but for the time being I wanted something more or less stock... And I don't think my front should be as much lower? Rolling Eyes
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both front and rear llook to be the right height to me. Measure your hub centres to wheelarch distances and I'll let you know how they compare with mine. I have wound up my front heights by about 15mm on the torsion bar adjusters, and I reckon it is more nose down than yours. Your new shockers look like they were fully compressed, presumably for carriage.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't matter if the shocks were compressed for transport, they should open out to their normal length as soon as they are unboxed. Those are a good two inch short of the originals. Look at the length of the shocker, not the mounting arm.

Plus, if they haven't opened out in the time it took to get them out of the box, put them side by side and take a photo then they are not usable on a vehicle, which needs them to recover from compression in time for the next pothole.

Here are photos of rear (non ECS) Ironman shocker and a OEM L400 side by side, both compressed and then fully expanded, which took about two seconds:-

ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Fri Dec 30, 2016 13:04; edited 1 time in total
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

As photographed on the ground, the new shocker is in compressed state, -  not enough free length to bounce. Surely the road spring provides the bounce back, and damping works in both directions?  (Can't remember the last time I fitted a shocker that wasn't in a Macpherson strut).
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmh!  scratch  Confused now! I'm entirely new to this so have I been silly?  Embarassed
The shocks just came in a box, not tied or restrained by anything... so they didn't expand much by themselves (I would have thought a cardboard box wouldn't have held them in then??). I was somewhat surprised by this, but I thought this would be a difference between gas shocks and oil ones?
In the end they did extend as much as the old ones but I basically had to help them along into the mounting holes.

I don't think the ride height in the back has changed at all from what it was with the old ones on, and I'm happy with that as it is. Also it feels good driving on the new ones... But do I have to worry with these new ones in if they didn't seem particularly "springy"?

My hub(center)-to-arch height is
Front 47 cm and rear 50 cm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: