4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Timing Chain Fallen In Engine - Help !!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 16:53    Post subject: Timing Chain Fallen In Engine - Help !! Reply with quote

While Changing my timing chain with a split link one , and cutting a long story short - the slack end (Right end side) has fallen in to the engine.
Not Good
I had a bit of string tied on but that's snapped so as you can see I'm in trouble

I'm thinking I'm going to have to do it the old way. I have tried hooking it out but the tensioner guide on the right has moved to the left and pretty much locked solid so I can't really get down there.

Not sure why this has done this ?

Regarding doing it the old way, is there a quick guide as to what has to come off to get to it all.

I can put the hours in but would be good to find out roughly what I'm taking off before I start
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 16:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

skiorsail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats really bad luck , added some hours to the job , if you Can't get the end of the chain wit coat hanger wire  or magnet  you are stuck with the tedious job i recall taking off intercooler/radiator /crankshaft pulley /watrerpump /steering pump /vaccum pump - lots of different length bolts plus  one nut  hopefully someone will come up with right picture  from manual . use good quality sealant and it shouldn`t leak . one of my guides was badly worn so replaced it
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers - The main thing  that is confusing me is that the tensioner guide is locked to the left now but I'm thinking that by looking at some pictures from the manuals that the chain is jamming it up at the bottom so may be ill have to wind it back the other way and hope.

what I was more after is what sort of ancillarys have to come off - eg radiator, waterpump etc. I'm thinking I will be taking quite a lot off !!!
v8 rick
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Grouch wrote:
Cheers - The main thing  that is confusing me is that the tensioner guide is locked to the left now but I'm thinking that by looking at some pictures from the manuals that the chain is jamming it up at the bottom so may be i'll have to wind it back the other way and hope.

what I was more after is what sort of ancillarys have to come off - eg radiator, waterpump etc. I'm thinking I will be taking quite a lot off !!!

basically its a case of removing the vacuum pump, p/steering pump, waterpump, air con compressor and mounting bracket, two bolted in the thermostat housing, crank pulley, then the bolts in the timing cover not forgetting the two at the very front of the head and five which are at the front of the sump, and there are two 6mm ( 10mm spanner size ) bolts which go into the timing cover from behind were the p/steering pump mounts once you are happy all the bolts are out the timing cover can be removed although you will find its hard to initially break the seal.

rick.
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Rick

That's what I was after.  - It was going quite smoothly. that will teach me to use cheap garden string.
Diver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:24    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Fallen In Engine - Help !! Reply with quote

Green Grouch wrote:
I have tried hooking it out but the tensioner guide on the right has moved to the left and pretty much locked solid so I Can't really get down there.

Not sure why this has done this ?

You have removed the actual tensioner, right?
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep !! I see where you were coming from though.. !
thecaptain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was dropped three times - get the tensioner out the way and get the wire coat hanger out!
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptain wrote:
Mine was dropped 3 times - get the tensioner out the way and get the wire coat hanger out!

It turned out the guide was trapped by the chain, after turning the crank back the other way freed it up. I blame my ex for turning up just as I was doing the important bit and moaning at me yet again for being under the bonnet! ( we enjoy it)

Blokes enjoy this just as much as women like going to next !

After an hour of pulling and proding and no results I started taking bits off to do it the old way.! as I've had most of it off before it hasn't been too had so far but still got the power steering pump and crank pulley to do yet!

Timing is now well out so this will be another test but what the hell

why do I do this to myself!!!

Should be driving her this weekend - not pulling her apart - lessons learnt for the future !!
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 rick wrote:
basically its a case of removing the vacuum pump, p/steering pump, waterpump, air con compressor and mounting bracket, two bolted in the thermostat housing, crank pulley, then the bolts in the timing cover not forgetting the two at the very front of the head and five which are at the front of the sump, and there are two 6mm ( 10mm spanner size ) bolts which go into the timing cover from behind were the p/steering pump mounts once you are happy all the bolts are out the timing cover can be removed although you will find its hard to initially break the seal .

rick.

Cheers again Rick

I've got everything off now barring the casing. Just reading your post again and it says remove two bolts at the front of the head? are these the actual two head bolts? I was as usual rushing on a time limit and had a quick tap at the casing with a hide hammer but it seemed pretty dam firm.
when all bolts are out is there a method to getting the casing off or is it just a bit of nursing and patience?

That crank pulley bolt was bloody tight !!

For anyone reading this though it is doable. I made a simple tool from angle iron with a couple of legs welded on and a couple of M10 bolts in which was cut to rest on the inside the engine bay. With this I still needed a breaker bar and small scaffold bar on !
mark3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in the hole where the chain goes and you will see the bolt heads in the front corners. It's NOT the two front main head bolts.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

This piccy shows the chain on the cog with the head removed. You can see the bolt holes.

One is obvious on the upper face of the casting, the other, on the opposite side inside the rectangular hole, is just in front of the chain guide and bolts direct into the timing case cover.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone no the part number for the rectangular shaped o ring that is on the inside of the chain cover behind the waterpump ?

I've found these two  in the part numbers section but still not sure.

MH035529 - O-ring (thermostat housing chain cover)  - £2.88
ME200414 - O-ring (water pump to chain cover)  - £5.09

I've sat down in the mitsi dealers this afternoon and even he couldn't find out what it was looking at the software ??
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 16:38    Post subject: Timing Again ? Reply with quote

Anyone who has read my last posts will know I dropped the timing chain in the engine. Not Good

I'm now at the stage of putting it all back again

See Photo
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b590/andyphotos7/DSC_0470_zps5001686a.jpg

I've got the cam shaft out so I can wind everything by hand to get it all lined up.

I'm aware of getting Tdc on number 1 and then getting the dowel at 12 o clock but when cranking the crankshaft its obvious that it all cycles twice and certain gears like the fuel pump take two revolutions to get back to the same position.

I May be thinking too much into it all but I've read loads of posts and 1 said he wound something like 87 times to get everything to line up.

I was hoping that it would be a simple case of getting TdC and sticking the cam shaft back in correctly and job done

The fuel pump gear has a dot on it which does not seem toline up with anything.

Any help would be much appreciated.
v8 rick
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is you need to turn the engine a great many times to get all the marks on the timing gears aligned, so don't bother  Wink turn the engine to no1 tdc and look for a small notch on the pump drive gear it should be aligned to the "N" mark on the pump casing ( i.e the lower of the two marks ) then just fit the cam with the dowel at 12 oclock and bobs ya teapot mate  Wink .
there no need at all to faff trying to get all the gears to line up, it`ll take you forever  Smile .

rick.
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Again Rick !

I sort of knew it would be something like that but needed someone to hold my hand !!
I've been turning it all round for an hour or so and looking at it all and reading this and that post and just getting confused double thinking everything!

I'm normally quite good at this sort of thing - once I've broken it first that is ! -

Everyones probably heard it all before but without this forum I would not have a Delica

I think I will have to be a lifetime member next payday

Cheers
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all the help with this problem guys. I've now got her back together and she started on the button and runs so much better !
There is however 1 problem !
As mentioned before I was stuck with obtaining a rectangle O ring which goes between the rear of the waterpump in the timing case.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b590/andyphotos7/DSC_0470_zps50aac33c.jpg

Low and behold I've got a tiny coolant leak there now

The guy in the mitsi parts shop could not find the part and said it does not exist and I've looked at the software myself and complete gasket sets and there does not appear to be 1 there ?

I'm sure the old one was not sealant as it was too neat but some people are saying that sealant should do it

Any help again on this would be most appreciated
YOZA

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Grouch wrote:
As mentioned before I was stuck with obtaining a rectangle O ring which goes between the rear of the waterpump in the timing case. Any help again on this would be most appreciated

Well done on the re-build, I don't re-call an O ring in that joint, infact I didn't see a gasket and used Silkaflex instead.

If you have a recess for an O ring it doesn't need to be rectangular one, you can use a round one, I do this all the time when re-sealing watch case rears, square/rectangular or oval, the seals are all round.
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Yoza

I've played with that silkaflex before. Its pretty sturn stuff .

Sadly its take all apart again but at least I know how to do it now and I know it will work again this time !

Its such a tiny leak but needs to be done again. I don't want to risk trying to seal it with anything

The old timing chain was nearly 10mm longer , not sure if that's really bad but it does run much better.
jgupte

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

My chain was about 15 mm (one link) longer by the time I got around to changing it! And it ran much better after the change.
I think the water pump needs to be changed as a unit. My pump was leaking, but not from the seal between the pump and block, rather an internal seal? Water was leaking out the little drain hole on the bottom. I looked but could not see any seal to change to fix the problem. Had to change the whole pump (which came with a seal for between the pump and block). Only cost me £75 on eBay.

Cheers,

JG

Fitted: Aircon Shield, Bash Plate, Unifilter air filter
To be fitted: Reversing camera, Driving Lights
Wish List: suspension lift, awning, get the bl**dy MMCS working!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: