4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

swr problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bristol bloke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 19:47    Post subject: swr problems Reply with quote

Been out trying to tune my stinger aerial today but having problems getting it low enough,I'm getting 2.1 on ch1 and 3 on ch40. I can't lower the whip any lower the whip any less without trimming it,any ideas?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 19:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a short circuit in the antennae lead, or more likely a poor ground plane.

See this for more info:- http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio-guide-groundplane.html

HTH  Shocked

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
bristol bloke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers lewis,I have it mounted on the front chrome bull bar which I tested and is grounded but I will try another ground strap.. The coax is new so don't think that could be the problem.
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it but I told you so in the other thread! You need a good ground plane which a simple wire will not provide. Only mounting the aerial to the middle of your roof will provide the best SWR! But obviously some compromises need to be made in real life. I use my 5' stinger on a mag mount in the middle of my roof but switch to a short aerial mounted with an artificial ground plane on my bull bar when going under low hanging trees etc. it's got rubbish SWR but is okay for short time, I.e. Keep transmitting to a minimum...
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I store my magmount antenna in the engine bay and mount it on the roof when I need it or the bonnet if I'm going through undergrowth (at least that way I can see if it gets ripped off) Smile

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
bristol bloke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it gonna have to be a may mount then,tried a cable earth to the body work and it was worse,will get a smaller antenna now its going on the roof. Rolling Eyes
alex3025

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 400 I had a mount for my ham radio on bull bar with an earth wire running to it  and my 300 has a mount on the left hand wing mirror mount for 2meters and a HF antenna on bull bar with no probs at all with SWR you may need to trim your whip by a few mm as long as SWR is below 1.5/2  to 1 it will be fine your not going to get many people on cb now a days so most of the time your be in convoy with other delicas  8-)

Ps radios I use cost upwards of £200 up to £800 so I know what I'm on about just make sure you have a good earth

8-)
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
mu0chn
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my antenna mounted on my bull bar and it works fine. I have added a few leads to the body. Do you see much change in SWR when you move the whip up and down. Have you tried adding some wire to the base of the antenna, jump leads will do if they a good length. What you could do with is a MFJ-259B as that will tell you where the antenna is resonant, it may be worth asking around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: