Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Prepping for a respray in Jan/Feb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noirenex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 13:00    Post subject: Prepping for a respray in Jan/Feb Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just thought I'd come throw my hat in the ring with something I've been planning for a while now, my Deli bodywork has been a little worse for wear, I've welded up the underneath and most of the mechanical issues have been fixed now, theres some scuffs, scratches and dings over her, so i figure it's time for a face lift soon.

I am going to go for a matte black bonnet and boot with a purple decal on the bonnet, and a violet/purple body. Bonn et/boot would be done first, then the body. Will be using Cellulose paint because it is a bit easier to work with in preventing dust and flies

I have the tools I need to do the job and some limited experience spraying my old cars, the way I see it:

0. Get her hand washed
1. Sand down the paint and rough up the top layers using orbital sander (Clarke CROS1) and hand block sander where needed
2. Seal off and mask windows, lights, seals and Tyres
3. Spray down and wash
3b. Move Deli into a marquee with plastic floors, keeping floor wet to prevent dust
4. Put a layer of high build primer, check for any high spots and dings
5. Body fill and prep and dings and scratches, sand down high spots
6. Put down additional layers of primer and repeat step 5/6
7. Leave time for primer to set properly (overnight)
8. Wash, wipe down to remove any contaminent
9. Spray first colour coat down
10. Sand and wipe down if required
11. Spray next 2 coats
12. Leave overnight
13. Wash and wipe down
14. Check if any further sanding or colour coat is required
15. Apply clear coats
16. Leave overnight
17. Enjoy?

Starter motor failure! - 2013-07-20
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 13:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

noirenex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a digital mockup of what I think it would look like:

There's still some green in there but you get the idea?

What are your thoughts and feelings on this, what other colour combos do you think would look good? I did look at all black, but it looked a bit too much like an FBI wagon!

chrisreah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine is intending to paint his townace in a burnt orange colour. the mock ups he did looked very impressive. looked at a similar main colour to the one you are planning and felt its a bit overbearing on such a large vehicle... but its all personal preference....
Eddie M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at PlastiDip before going to the expense of a re-spray. I have done my wheels, rear quarters and turbo scoop so far with great results. Easy to use and if you don't like it you can peal it off. I will post some pics tomorrow.
Cheers
Eddie
skiorsail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are going to struggle to find a nice warm dry, well ventilated  place to paint it in winter . paint won't stick to frozen Delica . if this is your first attempt at car spraying pearlessent  or  metallic paint is a lot harder to get right
noirenex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto, well, I may delay my spraying pending a house I am trying to buy that has a double garage that would fit the Deli in, then I could spray in that if needed. That being said, I'll be using cellulose paint now, I've decided on a dark purple matt finish for the body and a black matt for the bonnet, I've already got all the tools to shoot with, just need some more gear for prep work.

If the house doesn't go through then its back to my original idea of using a 3x6 marquee and extractor fan setup to spray with, since I'm going to use cellulose there's a smaller chance of fumes, though I have my respirator and full body suit anyway so shouldn't be an issue, it's just I heard many bad things about that 2k paint if you aren't in a booth

I'm estimating about 7L of paint for the beast, what do you guys think?

Deker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

noirenex wrote:
it's just I heard many bad things about that 2k paint if you aren't in a booth

I'm estimating about 7L of paint for the beast, what do you guys think?

Start off with your bit about multi layers of primer = Don't, primer is what it sez, too many coats of primer/filler are soft,
can chip easily and the chip will be deep  Sad

I had to do my spraying outside, I had a roof - - - called  - The Sky  Shocked
In recent years with much trepidation I used Water based, Base Coat, topped off with 2 Pack lacquer,
I was amazed how easy it was to apply the Base Coat, it looks awful at first, any blemishes are easy to sand and "local in"

Then the 2 Pack Lacquer, made one mistake by not thinning it enough. But the shine it gives  Smile  Smile

I was always set on using Cellulose, not any more, it's okay for small bits e.g. Bull Bar/s, Air filter Housing etc.
Another problem with cellulose, is "Blooming" slightest bit of damp causes it.
The other is, very susceptible to "Micro Blistering" many years back had this happen to my car, and it was sprayed in a body workshop  Sad

Tip, IMO do NOT use 2 Pack, Top coat paint, it is a pig to correct any errors/blemishes, this is probably where you
Quote = "heard many bad things about that 2k paint if you aren't in a booth"
the pros may disagree.

Deker
noirenex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks deker, appreciate the advice and perspective,  I'm spraying matt so will need matt lacquer if I apply any, though the paint provider suggests it doesn't need it?

Deker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

noirenex wrote:
Thanks deker, appreciate the advice and perspective,  I'm spraying matt so will need matt lacquer if I apply any, though the paint provider suggests it doesn't need it?

Matt Black  Question  and the other colour, Matt or gloss  Question

Personally I would go for gloss on the purple/aubergine - - - Would be easier to keep clean  Smile

Here's an idea = how about a Matt Vinyl for the bonnet and other bits, easy to change if you don't like  Idea

Personally I dislike Black, been driving too many Black cabs for too many years  Sad

Deker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: