2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Radiator Expansion Tank Broken??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 22:42    Post subject: Radiator Expansion Tank Broken?? Reply with quote

Well, I've anticipated all sorts of problems and boy, have we got one now. The problem is this; in the process of putting a new battery in to the front one of the two mountings my Father-in-law, an auto-electrician, having removed the intercooler to facilitate the battery testing and replacing of, caught the expansion tank tube's spigot on the top of the radiator with the intercooler as he put it back. Snap!! Shocked At the mo the expansion tube is connected to the radiator via a bit of car radio arial acting as a spigot, with a short section of clear tubing joining the two. The arial bit is glued in with a "steel resin"....? and the two tubes connected with a couple of jubilee clips......... Rolling Eyes .........sigh. It did get us home but I don't trust it to last. Has anyone by any remote chance had such a problem and if so how was it fixed that's a bit more convincing than the present repair?
The plastic apparently snapped easily, possibly as a result of several years of bl@#dy hot water passing through and gently cooking it. The attachment point on the expansion bottle is not too great either, but it's not the problem at the mo'. Can a tube be glued and screwed into the radiator that the expansion tube can connect straight on to? Or do I have to buy a new radiator??!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 22:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this can be repaired as somebody I was speaking to a Chatworth had the same pipe snap off, think it was billybob scratch

Worth going to a rad repair place and seeing what they come up with Wink but it can be repaired 8)
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
ACE DELI
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Wherever our canal narrow boat takes us...at 3MPH max.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Noddy

There has been a thread on here about Mitsu plastics getting brittle with age, especially after being subjected to repeated heating and cooling and under pressure. As most of these are around 10 years old, it might be an idea to replace it with a new one rather than trying to repair one which might fracture in another place. I think they cost about £115 from MItsu. HTH.

Cheers

David
Andyfireblade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi noddy,

I broke the spigot off the top of the radiator whilst changing the belts, lent on it whilst trying not to swear at scuffing my knuckles when the spanner slipped.
To fix it I got a brass nipple with a thread on one end, cut a matching thread were the spigot used to be in the top of the rad, screwed the nipple in with some 'araldite rapid' applied to the threads and hey presto, job done. Covered 10,000 miles since with no problems. A new rad from mitsu was something ridiculous like £300.00!! Changed the coolant at the same time.

Regards,

Andy.
noddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff!! Thanks for the info' folks Smile think I'll have to go on a hunt this weekend for a helpfull garage. Or threaten the in-law with a bill for a new one........heh heh. It was going to happen sometime I guess crybaby ; should be glad it didn't go on the motorway coming back from our holiday. Ah well, onwards and ever sideways. Thanks again!!
seti-yeti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto situation as you may recall. See posts http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=25970&highlight=spigot#25970
For similar advice. 8)

Highroof Space Gear Exceed Green(ish) over grey, a wee bit lifted and HUGE wheels! Not so full of noise and sweetie wrappers any more...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: