Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

CB antenna

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 18:42    Post subject: CB antenna Reply with quote

I've seen a few guides on how to use your CB antenna for your car radio (both at the same time) but can you do it the other way around.

I don't use my built in aerial but I do want a cb and I'd like to use the Aerial I already have if I can.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 18:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Yojimbo

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wouldn't (but I admit as a licensed ham I am biased!), its been done in the past as 'stealth' antennas back in the day when a cb antenna meant "stuff you can steal inside", and you could do it, but its really too short, it would need to be matched to the right impedance, a quick google shows there are commercial products available.  Basically if you did this it would work, but range would be quite restricted, if its just for greenlaning it will be okay, but it won't give anywhere near the performance of a a proper antenna using the right impedance coax to feed it.
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, only for greenlaning so mostly the people I want to talk to will be only a few hundred meters away (although I suppose a couple of miles is possible)

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
lostdreamer
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea...

My understanding is 'yes, but you probably don't want to'.
It will be the wrong length, and therefore won't transmit/receive very well.
You may also get SWR issues leading to you overloading the output transistors and frying the CB.

That said, assuming it is for 'green lane' use, the limit on range seems to be mostly line of sight/tree/random rather than too dependent on the intricacies of the CB setup.

And using that steel whip in the drivers door pillar would give you a nicely protected and resilient aerial...

One of the interesting drawbacks of CB's however is it is often very hard to tell how well your own setup is performing - you don't hear it, and you don't know if difficulty picking up other users is down to environment, their setup or your own.

So I dunno. Would be kindof interested in seeing someone else try it and how it works tho...
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably be easier to modify the existing mount to take one of the small, but very inefficient antennas that are around.  Such as the original 'rubber duck' style, or short whip based antenna.
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, I would look and see if one of these

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/fixed-body-mounts/thunderpole-side-mount-kit.html

could replace the existing mount, and then use a mini cb antenna, and a splitter doodad, and then have both cb and radio.
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to give it a go using just the stock ariel, I don't use it for the radio at all

Yojimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay the swr will be through the roof and the cb will go bang.

HTH

Oh and please get a nice rig, I will be happy to take it off you and repair it when you blow it up.
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be the shittiest one I can find Smile

theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kidding, I'll find a long thin ariel and see if I can mount it into the existing body so it can still slide out of sight.

Yojimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto.

As a technical point you won't see an swr below around 2:1 as the impedance of the car radio coax is wrong.

You will also need an antenna in the region of 102" or roughly 9 foot, if its a pure whip.

You might get away with with something a little shorter since the coax will screw up the tuning anyway. But it won't be by much.
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you can get just wore antenna, are these rubbish or would running one around the headlining of the car get good reception?

Yojimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wire works very well, in the sky.  However shielded inside the vehicle, next to what is also the earth its not going to be a happy bunny, and we get back to you letting the magic smoke out of the finals.

If you put a fibreglass poptop on it would possibly work!
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify (lol, see what I did there? No? okay...) it would receive, it's transmitting thats the problem, you can receive on a wet piece of string.
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a cheap kit, that way if I mess anything up It won't have cost me much money Smile

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap coil with screw mount whip on the bullbar would be an option. Just unscrew the whip when not in use. Would also be not too high so wouldn't catch on overhanging trees etc.

This sort of thing

Agree with above you'd really struggle to tune the swr on a car aerial and cook the output,  but I do remember you once used to be able to buy a filter box which would sort the impedance but loose loads of power in the process.
Some CB sets used to have an attenuator switch to lower the output power which would save the power transistor if you did use your car twig.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wire in the sky, my friends, thats what counts:

What actually happens under high swr is that the transistors actually back off their output, they can survive a surprisingly long time, but the smoke eventually escapes, if you could lower the power then they will cope a lot better.

Antenna matchers are a possibility, but it matches the impedance so that the radio can put out full power into the load, the antenna, being non-resonant still won't work well, but, at green laning ranges might be enough, even without the ATU.

Ultimately it goes against the grain to have an ineffective antenna, its the single most important part of the system, bit like buying a nice car and putting crap tyres on.
alex3025

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a 40 meter on the bull bar ? Iv the same one on other side  Wink

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close! Count the coils better! Its a 20, with a vhf/uhf dual bander on the mirror ;-)

73 de M0YOJ
Bat 21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use both VHF & UHF down here (NZ) the truckers generally use VHF and 4x4 the UHF, Pays to have both as the truckies give you the heads up where the police are hiding with the speed cameras. Having just bought the super exceed the cb will be next to go on, a loaded antenna giving overall lenfth of about 600mm.
Used it in a previous vehicle and got pretty good range (20K's) like everything its dependant on the terrain as much as your install!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: