4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 Clonk when braking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martyin3d

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 23:12    Post subject: L300 Clonk when braking Reply with quote

I noticed this morning that my recently purchased L300 is making a bit of a clonk sometimes when braking sharply. When you hear the clonk the brakes seem to let off for a split second, similar to the feeling of ABS. Sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side. The front passenger side brakes have just started to squeak a bit too. I'm wondering if that's a coincidence or if it's connected.

It's just passed it's MOT with no advisories (not sure if that helps rule anything out) and the anti roll bar bushings have just been changed.

Thanks a lot for any help!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 23:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BFG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this on my L300 and have had ever since I got it.

Tried quite a few things, replaced anti roll bar bushings new shocks etc had the noise prior to my 2" lift and bigger wheels and it was there after.
Tried 2 different sets of new brake pads. Theres no play either up/down or left right on the wheels (Bearings / ball joints). Did all the grease points.
No excessive heat on wheels after a long drive (was thinking calipers binding)

Its a grinding/crunching noise you get just as you are coming to a stop and just as you start moving sometimes theres juddering also (all from the front)

2 Different mechanics have looked at it and came to the conclusion its just one of those things with an old vehicle but I'm not happy about it.

Give it another month and I'm gonna overhaul the front suspension with new bearings, upper and lower ball joints, control arms and I have a brake
caliper service kit (new rubbers etc) I'm gonna use too.

Gonna hit the manuals and work out where the engine mounts are also and see if they need tightening up.

If the noise is still there after this I'm guessing it must be transmission.

Dreaming of what MOD to do next!
martyin3d

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, what you're describing is exactly what I'm getting on mine.
Let me know if you do ever work out what it is, ill make sure I post an update if I get it sorted :D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFG wrote:
Its a grinding/crunching noise you get just as you are coming to a stop and just as you start moving sometimes theres juddering also (all from the front)

If that was happening on my L400 I would be 100% certain it was my ABS working.

Try disconnecting the connectors to the Wheel sensors, or pull the fuse out, which will put it into standard braking mode, then try it.  It's an easy way to rule it out if it's something else.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
martyin3d

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know it doesn't have ABS?
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABS? What strange witchcraft is this? BURN HIM!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed  I take it they predate the invention of ABS. ?   Laughing

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
CaptainVeg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we do have an Approximate Breaking System.

Mine does the clonk as well, but I think it is the old front shocks kind of crunching badly. Maybe not. I would care if this was the only strange noise, but it isn't...
tomkranz
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has this as well. I've replaced the front shocks, the calipers, the pads, the bearings, all the suspension bushes - and it still happens. Had 4 different mechanics take a look, had them in the van so they can hear the noise, they're all stumped as well.

Took the van out to an airfield and did some panic stops from 70 - whatever it is, it doesn't appear to affect the braking ability or the way the van stops.

It's mystifying, but having spent so much effort testing the impact, I've just started to accept it as one of those idiosyncrasies of the Delica ;-)

Cheers,
TOM
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
martyin3d

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to know I'm not the only one and that it's probably nothing serious!
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine never does this, so there must be some difference
CaptainVeg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks suspicious. I would check that it is a real L300, because it should be doing clonk, or at list clink.
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all miles off, the L300 is quite old now and the braking system relies on a land anchor, the clonk is it hitting the ground when you apply the brakes when it comes to a stop the anchor is retracted Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the clonk was my heart leaving my mouth and going back down to my chest as I managed to stop before rear ending someone.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkPig wrote:
I thought the clonk was my heart leaving my mouth and going back down to my chest as I managed to stop before rear ending someone.

Modern road surfaces are difficult for the land anchor to grip

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

theFleured wrote:
PinkPig wrote:

Modern road surfaces are difficult for the land anchor to grip

Good thing we're in the uk then
theFleured
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

freddread123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 21:40    Post subject: clunk on brakes L300 Reply with quote

I had the same 5 years ago on my L300   tracked my clunk down to the pads moving very quickly ,on application in the direction of the disc " very evident when in four wheel drive --off the ground , and in gear , and brakes applied hard " only a mil or so but with that force , makes a defo clink "   looked like a worn caliper where it meets the pad on the lugs "  so made tiny inserts , out of spring metal to absorb this movement,  after i had done all that realised i could have just welded a bit on the lug of the pad and grinded to an exact fit " !! either way job done , might be worth looking at " ???
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1991 L300 doesn't make this clonk. Is it significant that it is too early to have an anti-roll bar? And no, they never had ABS - it's something else to get full of mud on an off-roader and give you a light on the dash that fails the MoT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: