4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Balance shaft oil seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevefhot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 22:06    Post subject: Balance shaft oil seal Reply with quote

Hi, I have a leaking seal on the lower balance shaft.I found the balance shaft belt was broken when i replaced the timing belt, it had been broken for some time as the tensioner was very tight. i replaced both belts now the lower balance shaft is leaking. Can the balance shaft sprocket be removed without locking the shaft of as it is very difficult to get to the plug to lock the shaft and can the seal be pulled out the same way the crankshaft seal comes out. Thanks in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 22:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in L300 faqs - Pink Pig's downloadable manuals may give you the information you need. I only have a Galaxy tablet at present, so can't download a file that size.
stevefhot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, i have a couple of manuals but they do not really go into getting the seals out. Do you have to lock off the shafts as it says in the manual just to hold them to get the nuts undone or to hold them in the right position. I can make a tool to hold the sprocket while i undo the nut.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the pully is off you can just hook the seal out with a screwdriver.

Although I have a L400, which is a bit harder to work ln, one of our club mechanics had mine replaced in less than an hour, on the roadside.  Smile

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
stevefhot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, what about locking the shafts is it just to get the nut off. I have had a VW type 2 for 30 years and they are so simple to work on. If the L400 is harder to work on i think i will give them a miss, the L300 is hard enough everything is so tight for space.
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Steve, never had to lock my shafts, just marked everything with Tippex before I changed the belts. Have you tried finding the locking holes from underneath?
stevefhot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, yes i have just been under the van and managed to find the location of the locking off hole, it turned out quite easy really. Had a look at the other side, that looks a different matter as it is behind the injector pump. I will have another look tomorrow. Thanks for your help. Does anyone know if there is more then one bolt holding the upper balance shaft access cover on.
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pajero manual doesn't say how many bolts hold the cover on, but recommends using a socket set extension bar to lock the shaft on that side. The lower shaft, on the other side is accessed by unscrewing a threaded plug, and can be locked by inserting a screwdriver. Make sure you have marked all sprockets and belts with tippex before removing the belts and sprockets, as you will have to turn the shaft until the locking bar slides in over the weight.Despite everything having factory timing marks, I find white paint easier to see!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: