Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 Starter/Battery? Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BunyipGlitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 0:23    Post subject: L300 Starter/Battery? Issues Reply with quote

Hello all. I am new to this forum, and I'm here because I have a problem. my 1988 L300 Diesel 4x4 has been acting strange the past few days. It behaves as thought the battery is dead when I attempt to start it, so I jump it or hook it up to my charger for an hour or so. It starts right up then no problem. I can drive it all day, and as soon as I turn it off, it behaves as if the battery is dead again. My first thought was alternator, but if the alternator was not charging the battery, wouldn't it not drive? Forgive my woeful ignorance.

Help?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 0:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the plug on the back of the alternator, they do work loose.
You really need a multimeter to check the voltage output of the alternator which should be around 13.7 to 14 volts.
Sometimes the battery goes down and even though you can jump start it you can't get it going again if you shut it down.
Diesels do not need as much power to keep running as a petrol does, as long as the fuel cutout is powered the engine will run.
MY '88 Delica had your problem and it was traced to a duff battery. A new one cured the problem.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
BunyipGlitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, I just put a new battery in it about three weeks ago. I'll check the alternator in the morning. Can I get to it from under the seat, or do I have to crawl underneath?
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you measured the battery voltage before/after starting, and while the engine is running? It may be best to first make sure the battery is okay - it's possible it's not holding charge for some reason (my problem currently).
I'm not sure but my guess is if that if battery voltage is actually higher when the engine is running compared to when it is not, the alternator should be working?
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Sorry Fostlongstrider - I think our earlier posts crossed!!)
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

BunyipGlitch wrote:
I forgot to mention, I just put a new battery in it about three weeks ago. I'll check the alternator in the morning. Can I get to it from under the seat, or do I have to crawl underneath?

You have to go underneath to get access to the alternator, too much stuff in the way from above.

Flying Brick Supporter.
exarkun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest getting a cheap alternator /battery tester and hook it up.  It would give an indication what state they are both in.

Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea.
I have a quality multimeter being an electrical engineer, but the above tester is a good investment for the layman.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how  these things come in batches  Laughing , It was only last week that I mentioned using one of those testers on this post:-
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48365&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tester+battery+alternator&start=15

Check the voltage between the -Negative terminal on the battery and where the +Positive cable connects to the starter motor. It should be the same as the voltage between the two terminals on the battery. If it is not then there is obviously a fault in the cable connection.

You can try using a jump lead to bridge the +Positive battery terminal to the starter motor and see if the engine starts. If it does then check the battery terminal end connections, as it may just need cleaning up and reconnecting.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
BunyipGlitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I'll head out and check the wire off the back of the alternator this morning, and I'll also check out the wires to the starter. I hope it's something that simple.
Cheers everyone.
mr.b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 14:39    Post subject: battery connections Reply with quote

Hello Buny,
          Have you checked the tightness of the battery connections, just try and move the battery connections, if they move
tighten them up a bit, it doesn't take much to stop a good connection, had that happen to a lady where I worked, she drove
in, switched off, got back in car tried to start and it wouldn't, tightened up clamps, started no problem.
                           Hope this is of some help Chris.
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mr b says, I've even seen a case where the battery was fine, the clamps tight, and it had to be jumped each time, turned out it was a fine layer of oxide on the clamps and posts, a bit of wet and dry and it was all good. Changing the alternator is not a quick job by the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: