Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Overnight halt Coniston, Lake district

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Overnight camping locations (Free) ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davep10000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:03    Post subject: Overnight halt Coniston, Lake district Reply with quote

Just spent a couple of good nights at the bottom of Walna scar road - about a mile above Coniston great views and you won't get disturbed, but a 1 in 4 approach - not good if icy.
The continuation of this road used to be open to 4x4's (I had been using it for last 30 years or so) but now restricted to just a bridleway.

There's a big area to park in and often used for overnight parking for visitors to the bothy a few miles walk up the valley.
Grid ref 288971 (through the gate).
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Located here:-

Street map link

But don't be tempted to drive on Walna Scar Road, you may lose your motor.  Evil or Very Mad :-

http://www.gleam-uk.org/contentious-issues/walna-scar-road-restricted-byway-order-renewed/

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
scottwootton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did they change the road to a bridle way? Excessive damage?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a Bridleway in the first place and used by all. However there was a lot of aggro between the TRF and the horse brigade. The TRF decide to push their luck and took it to court to get it made into a BOAT so they could use it without hinderance.

However the new NARC Act (The NERC Act created NE, who took over from the former EN & CA in 2006, with far greater powers) came into play and resulted in the Bridleways being redesignated into RB's and thus the TRF screwed it for 4x4's as well.

And just in case anyone is going to asK what the initials mean.  Rolling Eyes :-

TRF= Trail Riders fellowship (Trailbike riders group)
BOAT = Byeway Open to All Traffic
NERC = Natural Environment and Rural Communities
NE = Natural England
EN & CA = English Nature & Countryside Alliance
RB = Restricted Byeway (No mechanically propelled vehicles, but does allow pedal cycles including electrically assisted ones)

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
davep10000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked the road last weekend - there is one bit where the track goes through a rockwall 'corridor' - about 8 foot wide, but the ground has a 30 degree side slope - only possible with a SWB landy with no roof - hardtops wouldn't fit!

The lakes has changed a lot in the last 20 years since I went there either rallying, off roading or walking (2 of these activities now frowned on!)
Think I will stick to SW Scotland where the nanny state hasn't got hold as much!
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:35    Post subject: Overnighting around Coniston. Reply with quote

The Red Bank road between Grasmere and Skelwith Bridge offers 1 or 2 places you can pull off and overnight in -  the road is used quite a lot as a rat-run by locals not wishing to get stuck in Ambleside, and fairly accessible to all from the Skelwith Bridge end, but the steep and twisty Red Bank itself, running between high walls and rocky banks coming out of Grasmere, is a deterrent to motorised caravans (as opposed to campers).
Dave, my L300, according to the log book, used to belong to an Alistair Wilson from Dumfries - it's a grey over black Super Exceed, - did/do you know it/him? I got it from a dealer in Keighley in May 2010.
Andy C.
davep10000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
No, sorry don't know either him or the Delica - there are certainly a few l400s here (I know 4 of them - one being in Morocco on a tour at the moment...)

Just come past Penrith - starting to snow quite heavily now here in Dumfries, so here's hoping!!

Cheers,
Dave.
Deliwagon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep this post in mind the next time i'm in the area.. I've driven around the Lakes a few times and only found the end of the Langdales (On the hillside off the road probably a mile past the Langdale campsite)as a night stopover..   Thanx for the info guys....  Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Overnight camping locations (Free) ... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: