4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Pump seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 0:24    Post subject: Pump seal Reply with quote

Right as if I didn't have enough to do my Deli is now showing signs of the seal leaking, start cut out etc, but only the once. So I'm guessing its going to become more regular. I've just replaced the fuel filter as it was rusty, giving me the sense it had not be changed in some time and wilst I was at it done an oil change too. My question is have any of you got an easy way to get the old seal out? I've not looked yet but it looks like it could be a pain. My seal kit should be here tomorrow and I will crack on with it. Wilst I'm asking could a blocked filter cause the same fault? Its only done it once in 7 days, the kit I work on just won't run if the filter is blocked but you guys know this motor better than me.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 0:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mark3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it stalls shortly after a cold start then once re started is okay for the rest of the journey its almost certainly the injector pump front seal.

when you changed fuel filter did you notice a black tint in the fuel in the old filter?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I put you in the picture, I got my Deli a couple of weeks ago and decided to run her on veg oil 50/50 mix. 5 days later I topped up with  25ltrs on diesel no veg. A few days later she started up and I popped indoors to get something came out and she had stopped. She was a tad reluctant to start but after some cranking she was good to go. Now that was 3 days ago, the next morning no problems at all. Yesterday I changed the fuel filter (no black fuel) but the filter was well over due a change. I also changed the oil as I could then monitor the level, just incase it rises. Today she's running great with a he'll of  a lot more power, filter must have been pretty bad then and she's still starting first turn.  Still starts no probs.
woodster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, I have the seal kit ready to go but I'm not pulling her apart unless she's does it a few more times. The vehicles I work on are over serviced so to be honest I hardly ever get this type of fault, if I get sand ingress then they just don't run as a norm, not start then cut out. Mind you by the time I get called out I suppose anything is possible. What do you think Mark?
mark3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you say, wait and see if it does it again then go from there. black tint to the diesel is an absolute guarantee it needs a new seal BUT if its not black that could just mean its not been doing it long enough to contaminate the fuel yet.

It will also be worse the colder it gets over night. If where you are its like here at the mo its been quite mild at night so that could be why you been trouble free recently.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm good point, I will see what happens when the temp drops and keep you posted. I kind of know that I'm going to be doing the seal soon lol. Oh any advice on the seal removal?
Soulman
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this post for how to do the seal.

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26178

Regards

Chris
woodster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all over doing the job mate, I'm after info for getting the seal out ie is it a begger to get out of the pump etc.  Wink
Soulman
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try screwing a self tapping screw into the seal carefully and then pulling on that with some pliers.

HTH

Chris
woodster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Begger???!! Cheers Mods
Yes I was thinking the same thing Chris  Razz
mark3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use a screwdriver and a hammer, not had any issues in near on 300 seal changes. Be gentle though and angle the screwdriver so the only internal part that may get hit is the inner surface of the seal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you assume that the seal has failed, make sure you check your lift side fuel lines.

I had this problem and even went to the lengths of renewing all the flexible fuel lines, replacing the filter and mounting and cleaning the in tank strainer.  When that did not fix it I took the pump off and had it completely rebuilt (not just a new front seal).  Put the pump back on, put the caravan on the back and went on holiday.  10 miles up the motorway it conked out again Evil or Very Mad .  Ultimately I left it at the diesel shop for them to sort out (warranty on pump refurb, etc).

The cause of the problem was a fracture in the STEEL fuel line that goes from the solenoid at the rear of the pump to the banjo bolt at the front.

Did the pump need a rebuild (£300) ?  Don't know.
Did the flexible fuel lines need replacing?  Don't know.
Did I eliminate all possible points of air ingress into the fuel system? DEFINITELY NOT

Hope this helps

Cheers

Peter

From the Latin, meaning 'Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future.'

Or, in today's language 'Do all the things you love today, because you may not be here tomor$&£@>>>.....  ...
woodster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mark I will keep it in mind.
Thats a bloody good point Hotchpotch, I will have a good look.
As of yet still no fault shown since that one time and I've done the filter etc Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: