4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

crankshaft bolt came out!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doomtube

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 17:11    Post subject: crankshaft bolt came out! Reply with quote

So i parked up and just before i turn the engine off a noise occurred from the engine. then upon restarting the engine another noise (not loud) that wasn't right so i shut the engine off. upon inspection i found the bolt on the floor under the engine. STUPIDLY i drove the car about 1 mile home, there was no unusual noise or any change in anything. today i spoke to the garage who said check the cranck shaft bolt, i did and it is not there so i'm 99% sure the bolt that came out is the crankshaft bolt. There was no unusual noise from the car leading up to this, it is rarely driven. how bad is this? can it be fixed? i'm taking the car to the garage tomorrow on a flat bed without starting  any advice or ideas greatly appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 17:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

doomtube

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention it is a P reg L400 2.8 diesel....
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the bolt  Question

Is it in one piece  Question

Deker
doomtube

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes have the bolt, it is in one piece, no damage to the thread or anything....
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomtube wrote:
yes have the bolt, it is in one piece, no damage to the thread or anything....

Add some "Threadlock" and screw it back in.

You will need a tool to lock the crankshaft to tighten the bolt.
A few folks on here have made a tool to hold the Crank Pulley,
I believe that one or two of them will loan the tool, all you do is pay the postage = Has to good  Smile

Deker
doomtube

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the mechanic knows the car so i think he can do that ...getting it towed there tomorrow, what i'm worried about is what the chances are of any further damage to the engine driving it (not far, 1 mile or so) without the bolt in there can it damage the engine? as i say there was no strange noise but i've heard it can put the timing out (not sure what that means) or worse.... basically i'm worried driving the car without the bolt in could have damaged the engine badly!
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

If oil has not leaked out, then you are probably okay.

Damage that can occur = Oil seal - if the pulley comes adrift, may damage the radiator, and anything else that is close.

Best not to start engine, till bolt is replaced.

HTH

Deker
doomtube

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much what i thought, no oil leaking and no damage to radiator that i can see... i'll let you know what happens at the mechanic tomorrow! ...also thanks for the quick response, although i've not posted here much i'm always reading and here and love the Delica in all it's forms.... cheers!
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you have been lucky that the bottom pulley has not come away from the crankshaft, as it could do some damage. It must be tightly wedged onto the end of the crankshaft, but could come adrift at any moment without the bolt in. If you have the bolt, your mechanic may be able to refit it at your home. It needs 240NM torque according to my Haynes manual for the 2.8 engine.
doomtube

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean best not to move it at all and get it refitted at home? would getting it on a trailer (and off at the garage etc) run the risk of it coming off...?
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good you spotted it when you did !

Towing an automatic like you said your going to will bring many different opinions I'm sure ?

There has been some talk about not doing it on a 4 x 4 I think on here with reference to messing up your gearbox. ? I'm sure your mechanic will no and I'm sure someone here will turn up with some advice soon  Question
doomtube

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, sorry it will not actually be towed, it will be driven there on a flat bed truck, winched on etc... so not atually driven, is this still going to risk bits working loose etc or is it only going to cause more damage by driving it/starting engine etc...?
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon you'll be okay with that.  Smile
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can see that the bolt is missing, can you not get it back in and tighten it as much as you can? Even if you end up turning the engine, there will be less chance of the pulley coming off when you drive it on and off the truck.
motorang

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tighten the bolt as good as I could and drive the car to the workshop or on that truck or trailer, so they finally can fasten it with the correct torque.
Would NOT start the engine without that bolt in place.

The best chance to loosen it and loose it ist while starting the engine. Less load on it when driving (inertia).

Andy
doomtube

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the replies, getting the bolt back in and tightening as best i can will be attempted this morning. It is quite a tricky place to get to without removing the radiator though so i'm not sure how tight i'll be able to get it.... i'll let you know how it goes!
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomtube wrote:
cheers for the replies, getting the bolt back in and tightening as best i can will be attempted this morning. It is quite a tricky place to get to without removing the radiator though so i'm not sure how tight i'll be able to get it.... i'll let you know how it goes!

Sorry, if I misunderstood.  I didn't think you were gonna start it at all before getting the bolt done up! Embarassed
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up for those needing a pulley tool.

See this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32366

Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
albideli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't really risk refitting that bolt,  it's more than likely stretched a new one should be used along with a new washer
mark3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not stretch bolts so can be re used as many times as required as long as there not damaged....

Good working practise that i always do is to clean the thread with a wire brush, unless its clean already, then run it into the crankshaft a few times with some grease so it screws in really nicely so when you finally tighten it up (230nm) the torque is used for compression and not wasted trying to turn the bolt in a tight thread  :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: