Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

abs light stays on

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delicabunny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:27    Post subject: abs light stays on Reply with quote

what causes my abs light to come on my Delica only has 45,000km........thank you

delicabunny
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Homer Lawtey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 24 possible faults codes in the ABS ECU, any of which can bring the light on. To find out which fault it is you can short out two pins (pins 1 & 4) (or directly short pin 1 to chassis earth) on the diagnostic connector in the drivers footwell. Lewis wrote a good post in this thread about how to do it;

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50828

Whilst that lists the A/T codes, the same procedure will flash codes from the ABS, ECS, climate control, A/T and engine ECU, depending what's fitted on your particular model.

The codes for the ABS are;

11 - Front right wheel speed sensor (Open circuit)
12 - Front left wheel speed sensor (Open circuit)
13 - Rear right wheel speed sensor (Open circuit)
14 - Rear left wheel speed sensor (Open circuit)
15 - Wheel speed sensor (Abnormal output signal)
16 - Power supply system
21 - Front right wheel speed sensor (Short circuit)
22 - Front left wheel speed sensor (Short circuit)
23 - Rear right wheel speed sensor (Short circuit)
24 - Rear left wheel speed sensor (Short circuit)
25 - Free wheel engage switch
26 - 4WD position detection switch
32 - G-sensor system
33 - Stop lamp switch system
34 - Steering wheel sensor (Open circuit)
35 - Steering wheel sensor (ST-N) (Neutral position improperly detected)
36 - Steering wheel sensor (ST--1, ST-2) (Steering angle improperly detected)
41 - Front right solenoid valve
42 - Front left solenoid valve
43 - Rear right solenoid valve
44 - Rear left solenoid valve
51 - Valve relay
53 - Motor relay
63 - ABS ECU

Once you know what it thinks is faulty, it's easier to fix!
Diver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an old thread, but has anyone had any luck diagnosing ABS fault codes? I have the ABS light on (as well as flashing front wheel indicator lights) on the new vehicle and tried pin 1 to earth as above. All I got was a flashing A/T light, no long flashes or pauses, just constant flashing that doesn't stop.
Also, it seems between this thread and the linked one by Lewis that the same procedure is used for transmission faults or ABS faults, so if it did show a code, how do we know which system it's referring to?
Nathan

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic info, but like Diver, I am a bit confused with this. When you short pin 1, how do you know which system the resulting fault code is reference to? I had at first assumed that the same code would not span more than one system but this does not appear to be the case. For example, for ABS it lists:

11 - Front right wheel speed sensor (Open circuit)

But the same code exists for the A/T system:

11  ........................  Defective TP Sensor Or TP Sensor Circuit

Or is it as simply a case of the system the code refers to is the one corresponding to whatever dash light is flashing... eg the A/T light flashes A/T codes, the ABS light flashes ABS codes etc. I can't really tell because I only have ABS issues, not any other ones.

As you can imagine, I have the ABS light staying on. No idea why, came out of the blue, no suspension work done for years, nothing to give any clues at all. Main concern is it has an MOT next month! Is there any likely culprits for the L400 delis?

The biggest problem I seem to have is that when I short pin 1, the only light that flashes is my green 'SPORT' light, regularly @ 2 flashes per second!? The ABS light is just staying on as per usual!
andyman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience of ABS faults, sensor faults are the most common, or the inability of the sensor to pick up a proper signal from the reluctor ring, due to corrosion or muck build-up between the castellations on the ring, or wear in bearings increasing the distance between the sensor and the ring. The hard part is to find out which sensor, and I believe checking them requires more disassembly on a Deli than on most cars.
Nathan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andyman, I will try and get to the sensors and rings on the front, I think the rears are more tricky from memory. It would help an awful lot if I could get help from the diagnostics but the flashing 'SPORT' doesn't help me much. At least if I had the ABS light flashing a code I would have something to go on. Very frustrating!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SPORT warning light on the dash is only related to the ECS ( Electronic Controlled Suspension ) system.

Check that the actuator units on the top of the shock absobers are fully connected and not loose.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Nathan

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis, are the ECS and ABS systems linked then? Bearing in mind that the only warning light I have on is the ABS one, but shorting the diagnostics pin only flashes the SPORT light (not the ABS one). Cheers!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally independent systems, as both are optional upgrades on first purchase.  Smile

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Nathan

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaa I was hoping you wouldn't say that as it makes my situation even more confusing! Why am I getting a flashing SPORT when running diagnostics (and no other lights whatsover), when its only the ABS light that is on under normal ignition conditions!? Baffled.
trekka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now got ABS light on more often than not.  Earthing pin 1 gives me ABS error code 32 (G-system failure).  I wonder if I've caused this myself by jamming more and more stuff under my drivers seat (jump leads, tools etc).

In your case Nathan I think I'd be looking at cleaning the ABS rings, as if you're getting an error when driving, but no error code, it implies that your system is functioning properly (there's no error code for 'mud in the ABS ring')  Smile

While I'm on here, does anyone know a workaround way of resetting error codes if nobody outside of Japan has an OBD tool that works??
enCrypt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting some intermittent ABS light problems, I've just had both front wheels off and with help from steveb's post further up, I found that I'm not getting a resistance reading with a multimeter from the passenger side sensor but getting around 1300 ohms from the drivers side, so looks like I have a faulty sensor...

If I was to buy a new sensor, is it just a case of undoing the bolt on the back of the wheel hub, pulling the old one out and pushing a new one in???

Or could there be any other "gotchas" along the way?

Thanks
Mark...
enCrypt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry steveb's post was here

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28665
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

enCrypt wrote:
If I was to buy a new sensor, is it just a case of undoing the bolt on the back of the wheel hub, pulling the old one out and pushing a new one in???

More or less; Yes.

You will find that the sensor bit that goes through the Hub is aluminium, so it will have corroded a bit and be well jammed in.

You just need to dig it all out and then clean up the hole, before inserting the new sensor.

There is some more info and photos on this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50121

HTH

ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:58; edited 1 time in total
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABS sensors rely on very close proximity to the serrated reluctor ring, which also has to be clean and free from excessive rust or damage. Ideally, the gap should not exceed 0.5mm, much more than that, and the signal becomes too weak and erratic. I had to replace one on my Renault, which somehow had a gap of nearly 1mm. Sometimes a worn or incorrectly adjusted bearing allows the gap to vary out of tolerance, causing the light to come on, so check your bearings for play. The ABS system basically counts the teeth on the ring as they rotate past the sensor, and checks this matches the other wheels. If one wheel is rotating more slowly, it "thinks" it is skidding, so reduces the pressure to that brake, and flashes up your ABS light. If you have different diameter tyres, it can cause this to happen. Different wheel speeds caused by turning is accounted for by other sensors on the steering column, and measuring lateral g-force.
fintious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, just been out for a drive and my ABS light came on and stayed on. When I got home I switched engine off and when restarted the light stayed off. Could this be a one off or is it possibly the start of an issue?  Been reading the bit above about shorting pin 1 to earth and wanted to check if that applies to all L400 Deli’s (mine is a 2005 3.0)
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your road surfaces are slippery with recent rain on rubber slicked roads, you may haveskipped or skidded your wheels slightly, even imperceptibly. This would be enough for your abs light to come on, although with most cars, it would only flash on while the skid is in progress. I had an Audi which would come on and stay on until it reset when you switched the ignition off. As said above, slight play in wheel bearings (usually front) can cause it, as could low pressure in one tyre, so worth checking those.
fintious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did slip on the road when reversing off the drive which was when the light came on. Been out a couple of times today with no issues so hopefully just a blip
delica jed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 23:58    Post subject: ABS Reply with quote

do you have the abs wiring diagrams
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

L400 Workshop Manuals and wiring diagrams are available for download via this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38831

NB: Nice to note another local owner of a Deli.  Smile

ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: