2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L400 rear anti roll bar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doglet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 17:51    Post subject: L400 rear anti roll bar Reply with quote

Just tried to poly bush my rear anti roll bar (2003 v6), having already done the front (31mm heavier duty, I believe). Reason being the truck wallowed in the corners  like a drunken whale! I know it's not a sports car but it didn't feel right at all.

The front bushes were already poly, but the wrong size, hence a little play. The rear bushes (all bushes ordered from Millers,  31mm front, rear kit 25mm).

Problem is, my rear anti roll bar is 23mm, the Milner bushes (all that was listed) are 25 mm!

Begs the question, what size anti roll bar should be on the rear? I  would prefer a 25mm, would help with the wallowing! Does anyone have a spare one or know where to obtain one?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 17:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrap a "Beans Can" around the bar.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your panhard rod tightly bushed? And are your shocks good? Slight play on the ARB bushes isn't going to make it wallow. A thinner/weaker ARB will allow it to roll more.
Doglet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.

I have considered the dampers, a simplistic bounce test doesn't shown any excessive rebound. Would be good to bench test them. Are new electrically adjustable dampers available or just go with conventional? I have considered the Milner 20% uprated springs, which in turn would necessitate uprated dampers.

Mr D, not sure about bean cans, but I do have some aluminium strip that I could shape to take up the 2mm difference in the short term. The old rubber bushes were oval and worn, no point in refitting. Long term I would prefer the thicker 25 mm anti roll bar.
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr DogL

Maybe try going around bends/corners a bit slower  Rolling Eyes

Do remember Delica's are tall in respect to the narrow track.

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike the self lubing black rubber ARB bushes the Polyones need frequent (Preferably monthly) lubing with grease. Otherwise they dryout and then start wearing  groove in the bar.

I tried some, after being advised they were better, then started getting problems. After a year the bar needed replacing, so I got one from MitzyBitz, at which time I fitted a new set of the original black ones and never had a problem after that.

The 25MM bar is the heavy duty one, which is fitted to most of the 2.8 Exceed and Super Exceed's.

MR267684   -  Anti roll bar bush (rear) 23mm bar
MR267685   -  Anti roll bar bush (rear) 25mm bar

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Doglet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lewis

Thanks for the info, mine is a 3.0 super exceed but still has the 23mm rear anti roll bar. I  have to query your problems with poly bushes. I have used poly bushes on previous vehicles, namely a mk2 Shogun, Datsun 260z sprint and hill climb car and my current Vauxhall (read Holden) Monaro V8 for many years, if not decades without any wear on the bar itself. I fail to see how a poly bush, being basically a subsidiary of plastics can wear through a hardened and tempered steel bar? Surely there was another issue?

Contacted Milner just now, 23mm poly bushes on their way, but I'd like to source a 25mm roll bar in the long term. Maybe not so flexible off road but thanks to the Ramblers Association, off road in is somewhat limited!

Regards

Kev
Doglet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr D!

I can't do corners slowly,  too many BMW's behind me! Perhaps I should remove the four spare wheels on the roof rack,  along with the expedition 6x 20 litre jerry cans of fuel and 6x 20 litres of water?  Surprised
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of weight on the roof.

The tipping angle is 40°'ish.  Rolling Eyes

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
alfagunner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doglet wrote:
Mr D!

I can't do corners slowly,  too many BMW's behind me! Perhaps I should remove the four spare wheels on the roof rack,  along with the expedition 6x 20 litre jerry cans of fuel and 6x 20 litres of water?  Surprised

One of lifes pleasures is driving a Deli with a BMW behind you  Laughing

My Deli wallows on bends and wonder if the original electronic controlled suspension (ECS) would have helped with this...guess Ill never know.

Maybe a cheap option would be a type of bike stabilisers  Crying or Very sad
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love taking my L300 around bends fast (no rear ARB!) just to see what angle I can get the inclinometer to! It also scares passengers who normally drive cars of a more ground-hugging profile!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: