2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

rear door will not open - latch won't release.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siggyuke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 19:45    Post subject: rear door will not open - latch won't release. Reply with quote

Hi

I went to open the rear door today and it won't open. It feels like the latch isn't releasing it's hold on the locking bar bit attached to the base of the floor / bumper.

So I went inside the van and took the rear panel off the door to see if I could release from there, but it's really hard to see what's going on with the latch.
The central locking is unlocking the door, but again when pushing the latch bar down from the inside the latch isn't releasing.

Anyone have any ideas or advice on how to resolve this?

Many thanks

Pete
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 19:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short rod running at the bottom of the tailgate should open the latch!

See this excellent post, by Rusty, on making an internal tailgate release:- http://imageevent.com/russpix/photos/tailgateconversion

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
siggyuke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link / info Lewis.

In my case the latch must have jammed for some reason. Pressing the release rod down wasn't opening the latch.
Even using a drift & hammer to try to force the lever mechanism down wasn't doing anything.

In the end I had to remove a piece of the door's rear gusset metalwork, so that I could get better access to the latch.
Then with a screwdriver I managed to move the latch over  to release the door - right down at the bottom, where the mechanism connected to the rod contacts a lug on the back of the latch itself. Not easy to see, even with the small gusset section removed!!!!

Once released it now seems to function okay!?!!?!?
browncamel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem, and as I've mentioned on here before, it was a tiny bit of glass, from when I smashed my rear screen, that had got jammed in the mechanism. It was almost impossible to see, and it took along time and a lot of swearing before I realised what it was. I can still hear bits of glass rattling around in there when I shut he door, but when you know what the problem is, it's a 5 minute job to put right. I've had to do it twice since.
matto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the tailgate stuck shut too, had to get inside and push it open while the missus held the handle up.  

On investigation it seems that on the part of the lock that hits the striker and holds the door shut, there is a plastic coating and this coating has broken down and bits of it are restricting its movement.  I've tried cleaning it out and greasing it but after a week or so the same thing happens again so I think it will need replacing.
Fragheur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, is it possible to remove the door pannel when the door is closed ?
mr_as_walker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad this thread exists!  I also smashed my rear window and had exactly the same problem.   A tiny 3mm piece of glass had dropped in to the left side of the mechanism and stopped the latch sliding left.

It took me two hours to free it up and another hour to get the piece of glass out.

My tips - use coat hanger wire to poke around and dislodge the debris.  Use sticky tape inside out on the end of a chopstick to fish out the debris once its loose.  I couldn't get a vacuum in the gap to suck it out.

Once it's open you can unscrew the lock and get a little bit of access,  but not much without disconnecting the lock rods.

I spent another hour making sure no glass debris was left inside the door.   Fingers crossed it never happens again!
mr_as_walker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes,  I removed the inside door panel with it closed.   You have to unscrew the bolt behind the fabric pull handle and then prize it off.  I broke one of the plastic fasteners in the process,   but not too bad.
Fragheur

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thank you.
Yes I remove it from interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: