4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Black Smoke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BristolMuckerMelv

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:14    Post subject: Black Smoke Reply with quote

Howdy Everyone
I am new to the Delica world and bought my first Delica about three months ago, its a super exceed L400 Delica. I am now suffering problems with it, black smoke is coming out of the exaust when I put my foot on the accelerater. Its been in the garage and had a new emisson solinoid fitted, the problem has improved but is still there.
I have been speaking to a gentleman at work and he tells me I should take it out completely and fit some EGR blanking plates, is this correct? Or does it need a new fuel injector or something?

Any surgestions would be appreciated
Thanks Tommy Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try removing the egr and getting a blanking kit off the bay a malfunctioning egr can cause black smoke.Its the cheapest way to start solving the problem as after that it could be injectors etc etc you could try an air filter change as well.
Bazza

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
albideli

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, try removing the EGR first as its a cheap easy job, then look at other things. Most diesels do give out a cloud of smoke when you first put your foot down but does yours do it constant or does it just do it under load and with a loss of power
chrisreah

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i would chuck a load of diesel cleaner down it before blanking the EGR. I use millers diesel, put about enough for 2 tanks in to about a quarter of a tank - usually cleans mine up for 6-12 months at a time and has worked wonders on loads of other vehicles I've known of (it will smoke lots while it works through the system)
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need an egr, and all its doing is spitting unburnt fuel out as smoke, that may not be the problem you have, but if it's not, it's still doing it anyway, if it's sticking, then it could cause it.  After removing mine my emissions went from 2.5 to 2.9 (3 is the limit on my L300) down to 1.05, and making it smoke now really needs a lot of throttle.
BristolMuckerMelv

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

answer to albideli, with low revs and a little acceleration it was really coming out thick especially up hills, it was also making a heavy repetitive clunking sound as I pulled away the power does not seem to be affected. But as I say both seemed to have improved a little with new solinoid on.
chrisreah

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolMuckerMelv wrote:
making a heavy repetitive clunking sound

Does it sound like an oldy worldy train chuffing????? if so then your cam chain could be on its last legs and would need changing ASAP (Sock on the forum does them the "easy way" - i.e. low cost, a garage will want a fortune)

Still would try the diesel cleaner - I reckon loads of people on the forum blank off the EGR to basically mask dirty injectors.
chrisreah

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed you are in bristol - if you happen to be going past taunton at any point I would be happy to take a quick look for you
albideli

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolMuckerMelv wrote:
answer to albideli, with low revs and a little acceleration it was really coming out thick especially up hills, it was also making a heavy repetitive clunking sound as I pulled away the power does not seem to be affected. But as I say both seemed to have improved a little with new solinoid on.

I've seen a few do this including mine, they seem to stay in top rather than kicking down and the turbo doesn't boost enough, try making it kickdown or using the PWR setting to see if it helps. I also had to free off the wastegate on mine.
BristolMuckerMelv

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put some diesel engine cleaner through the system and bought some blanking plates which I will fit on the weekend, but it seems to be running pretty good now.
Thanks dudes for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: