2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

towbar fitting(or not as the case may be)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 21:02    Post subject: towbar fitting(or not as the case may be) Reply with quote

tried to fit a tow bar on rabbit's 2WD Deli the other day, supplied by the company that supplies towequipe,
only problem was the towing eyes that you attach the tow bar too were at the wrong angle for the brackets, therefore the 'z' brackets thet fasten to the chassis were around 2-3" away from the chassis.
phoned the company up and they said i was doing it wrong,they had fit one only days ago, until i told him i had taken pics of it and would e-mail them to him.suddenly it was a different story and rabbits was obviously different and for them to supply a tow bar for his car he would have to go to them to have one custom made....to hertfordshire Shocked about a 4hr drive, 1 way Shocked Shocked

just thought i should share my side of this story with you,
however i will say(after saying i didn't know my job) he has agreed to arrange pickup of the tow bar from rabbit and refund him.
so he is now looking for another company that may be able to sort his tow bar woe's local to the blackpool area, any ideas anyone??
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 21:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rik

There is an update to this story.....

I am driving down to Herts......it is a bit of a bind but after phoning every towbar service I could find in the yellow pages came to conclusion only way forward was to go down. The good news is they will engineer the fittings and there will be no charge above what is already paid (unless they find that the reason for not fitting is due to damage not design) for the towbar itself.

Initially they wouldn't be able to do it for a month or so......as a result 1 stressed wife phoned them and they are doing it this week. They will engineer the fitting and fit it all the same day. There will be a (reasonable/smallish) charge for fitting and soing the electrics, but all in all not too bad a deal.

Combining the journey with a run to Brother-in-law, so all in all not to bad.....

I have to say Rik and Kingston were great about things. A long journey ahead but hey.....my fault for buying the 2WD!
Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and the reason that I need to buy from Herts is that local companies that could, if they wanted to engineer something, aren't keen as it would have alsorts of liablity ramifications if it failed.

And every compary that can fit tows for imports in Lancs buys the ones from Watling Engineering.

Towequipe get a sort of plus mark out of all this......

......They suggested I contact Watling in the first place. Towequipe said they could supply me the bar that Watling would, for less, but they couldn't guarentee it would fit, as they had no experience with that model.

As a result I probably have less hastle

Watling emerge with credit.....and they get a template for tows in the future....

So everyone involved does okay
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

My towbar was supplied by Watlings but was fitted by the dealer,
On picking up the Deli' the towbar was down on one side and all twisted Rolling Eyes
The dealer said it was fitted by a local towbar company (not Watlings) and couldn't help the way it looked, after a little chat with them and words like remove and refund Evil or Very Mad they got in touch with Watlings.

Watlings where concerned about the fitting and the way it looked and booked the Deli' in Wink
They removed the bar and carried out rectification works, all free of charge (although the bar did cost me £300 fitted at dealers Shocked )
It was the first LWB model they had seen and they had supplied a SWB bar with spacer plates, which they were told by the fitter to be okay Rolling Eyes

All this was about 2 years ago and the towbars were few and far between then, as were the Delis' Wink That's why it was so bl00dy expensive Sad

Anyway, Watlings provided an excellent service, although I have seen many better looking towbars since Rolling Eyes probably still Watlings ones but now on the MK2 or 3 version :|
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
myedsore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay i have just fitted a towequipe towbar to my 1997 L400 Space Gear.
Only problem I had is that the brackets they supply you to fit into a hole and then hook onto a lug within the chassis member don't work. Why?
Because my chassis doesn't have these holes.
Instead I have had to cut off some M12 threaded bar and bolt it through an existing hole in the chassis member with M12 nylock nuts on either side. I have also had to make some packers as the support flats they supply you were about 10mm away from the chassis and rather than pull them in with bolts and stress them before even loading the towbar i have made some packers. If anyone is interested I will take some photos. All in all only took about 1 hr to fit towbar, had about four hours on the twin electrics and just got three wires left to route / find.
Cheers
Mark
chiefie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be interesting how many problems people have had fitting tow bars to thier Deli, that should have been a simple bolt on job?

one more thing to add to the first post is the bolt on the o/s actually stopped the exhaust from being refit into its rubber :?
ah well i suppose if they sort it all out, then all's well-ish, apart from a trip down to herts.
-Crewzin-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

got mine from towsure on "that site" and it went on without any bother wot so ever..

20 mins and that included the eletrics. Wink

Gordon.
JapSTi3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEED A TOW BAR NOW Gordon could you PM me details of were you got yours from ....... just bought a trailer tent and forgot I've got no way of towing it...................... :? :?

Not realy just need a tow bar ASAP picking Trailer tent up on Saturday.

Rik how you fixed for some more electric work....... Question Wink

And we can come to the Lakes meetin our new toy now in May..... Mark stick us on the site list.... woops need to book the site :?
chiefie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

tow bar electrics, ahhhh now thats an easy one Wink
i have a favor to ask you in return anyway Wink i will be in touch Twisted Evil
JapSTi3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me Rik the suspence is killing me. :?
-Crewzin-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm on way mate! Wink
JapSTi3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it Cheers :D
petemillis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also fitted Towequpe bar from Towsure to my SWB Deli with no hassle whatsoever.
Rob Barker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Pete above, no problems fitting a towequipe bar to my 97 Deli
JapSTi3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It arrives tomorrow I'll let you know how it goes....... Rolling Eyes
Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now have a towbar fitted....will need to sort the second electrics at some point in the future....not sure when.

Good news......

1) Balancing the wheels got rid of the 70+ mph vibration (or at least I guess it did, as I wouldn't cross 70 now would I?)

2) The journey down was at almost 32 mpg! And I wasn't going at 50-60 mph (see above comment).
JapSTi3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tow bar arrived today Tuesday after a trip to Birmingham and a faild delivery yesterday to the old office 50 foot from the new one????

Guese what 2 bolts for the upper suprt bar are 47.5 mm long they need to be 110mm to pass right through the upper torsion bar without fafing about. So it's off to B&Q tomorrow to 2 longer bolts with nut's then Ill try again.

The sad thing is one of the lower bolt holes the thread has gone from when the chap bodged the rear nudge bar brackets...... :?

Will anything "JuST FIT ON".......................... Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
JapSTi3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

RRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Buzer............Lights>>>>>>>>Stufffffffffffffffffffffff HHHHHHEEELLLPPP :? :? Shocked Shocked Shocked
JapSTi3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right after spending £4.42 at B&Q and buying 2 bolts, packet of washers and 2 locking nuts , fitting the bar was a Doddle :? Once I'd dropped the spare wheel.

I'll tackle the wiring tomorrow, but was well chuffed to find a ready made gromet to pop the wire through. :D

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. OH by the way the extension bars did not need the bendy brackets and also the whol with the foobar thread took one of the new bolts Rik gave me Cheers M8..... Wink

The saga continues Shocked
LITTLEKENGRIFF
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

myedsore wrote:
okay i have just fitted a towequipe towbar to my 1997 L400 Space Gear.
Only problem I had is that the brackets they supply you to fit into a hole and then hook onto a lug within the chassis member don't work. Why?
Because my chassis doesn't have these holes.
Instead I have had to cut off some M12 threaded bar and bolt it through an existing hole in the chassis member with M12 nylock nuts on either side. I have also had to make some packers as the support flats they supply you were about 10mm away from the chassis and rather than pull them in with bolts and stress them before even loading the towbar i have made some packers. If anyone is interested I will take some photos. All in all only took about 1 hr to fit towbar, had about four hours on the twin electrics and just got three wires left to route / find.
Cheers
Mark

HI MARK I JUST TRIED TO FIT MINE LAST NIGHT AND HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ,DID YOU EVER TAKE THE PHOTOS SO I CAN SORT MINE OUT/CHECK HOW YOU OVER CAME THE PROBLEM
CHEERS
KEENY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: