Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Front abs sensors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barneybonehead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 14:40    Post subject: Front abs sensors Reply with quote

Can any one tell me what is the easiest or the only way to get the front abs sensors out on a to either clean or replace them?  Cheers.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 14:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

barneybonehead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention I have a 1995 Diesel Space Gear Exceed. Once again cheers.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ABS sensors function using magnets to register speed on each hub, as the ABS ring, mounted into the back of the front hubs, turns.

Part No MB895468

Front Axle ABS Ring:-

If you have a problem with the ABS not working then its possible that some mud has built up at the back of the hub, or some small stones have got in and broken the probe off. If so you will need to buy a new one, which cost around £60 plus VAT each. They are sided, but only due to the shape of the bracket fastening it to the chassis. That is handy as if your supplier pnly has stock of the opposite side to what you want, you can always swap over the old bracket to the new unit.

The sensors are composed of fragile plastic and electronics inside a thin outer alloy casing, with a plastic probe containing magnets:-

They are fitted through a hole in the hub casting and once in are there for life. Any attempt to remove them will end up like this:-

If you have a broken one then you can replace it without removing the wheel and brake disks.

First undo the electrical connector and unbolt the chassis bracket, which is a double fastening if you have ECS shock absorbers. Then undo the bolt holding the sensor in place.
If your lucky a pair of Molegrips will get it out, otherwise use a screw driver to pry it out, bit by bit if you have to. But do not leave any broken bits, i.e. the end of the probe, laying behind the brake disk, or you will end up repeating the process with them removed.

Use some emery cloth to clean out the rust from the hole so it is smooth and apply a smear of grease inside it, to help get the new one in.  Press it in firmly until you can get a decent amount of the bolt thread to bite, then just tighten it up until everything is back flush.  Reconnect the mounting barckets and connector.  If it is stiff to get in put a block of wood over it and gently tap on that.

If it's a rear wheel sensor then it's more complicated.  Sad

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Mon Feb 25, 2019 14:55; edited 3 times in total
jdavey2002
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 18:47    Post subject: Broken ABS sensor wires Reply with quote

Posting to an old thread as I can't find one with working pics :-(

I was fiddling with my ABS sensor on the front OS wheel with the thoughts of cleaning it and the wire came away from the sensor in my hand !

OOPS

Anyone know if there is a current thread for removing the front sensors ?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo links updated.

:D

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jdavey2002
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 0:28    Post subject: ABS sensor pictures Reply with quote

Cheers Lewis those pictures really help explain how it fits :-)

I'll try to extract it without removing the disc, I'm sure it is knackered anyway after me pulling the wires off. They were individually covered with insulating tape so most likely just pushed together after a previous incident - hopefully this explains my intermittent ABS light...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having looked down the back of your brake disc and the state of the disk guard, if your going to remove the brake disc you may find this item useful:- Splash guard

HTH  Wink

ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disk Brake Splash Guard. Taxis don't have them fitted.

IMO. Cut off the rusty bits, just leave the centre, as it has small bevel, probably acts as splash guard for the seal.

I have cut mine down, MOT inspector did not mention it.

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

What your taxi has or hasn't got fitted is irrelevant, it isn't a 4x4 and isn't driven off road, lr through mud and rivers lake a Deli can be.

The disk guard is there to reduce the amount of mud, gravel, small stones or other crap Getting behind it, which will result in the tip of the ABS probe getting broken off or breaking the ABS ring itself.

ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
What your taxi has or hasn't got fitted is irrelevant,
1) it isn't a 4x4      1 A) and isn't driven off road, lr through mud and rivers lake a Deli can be.

2) The disk guard is there to reduce the amount of mud, gravel, small stones or other crap Getting behind it, which will result in the tip of the ABS probe getting broken off or breaking the ABS ring itself.

1) The 4 * 4 bit is irrelevant.    1 A) Good point, tho I have driven taxi's thro very deep water, (flooded roads)

2) My Deli does not have ABS ring or sensor, therefore your point is valid to those cars that have it fitted Wink

Mr D
jdavey2002
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 22:39    Post subject: Splash Guard etc Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Lewis, I was looking for a splash guard before the MOT but discovered they are not needed to pass so got lazy - there was plenty more to do...

I always struggle between the right way to do something and the tight wad way !

For now I'm going to do without the ABS & splash guard and regularly give the sensor a soaking in WD40 - no big journeys planned nor snow predicted. I'll take the retaining bolt off and if the sensor falls out all well and good lol.
I'll keep giving it a manual twist and pull / more WD40 in the hope it comes out without breaking.

If / when I can get a cheap sensor I'll prize the old one out and fit the new one without removing the disc. The splash guard is not an issue for now as I don't off road much and just through MOT recently / is not a requirement even if I leave it that long. Next time I plan to take off the disc I'll think more on the splash guard issue :-)
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the ABS sensor be pushed/tapped out with the disk and ABS ring removed  Question

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part behind the thick plate which goes through the hub is made of thin aluminium, a bit like an old style cigar tube, so it doesn't take much digging out.

ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: