4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Water Loss A Warning !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 16:45    Post subject: Water Loss A Warning ! Reply with quote

Originally posted by pete millis (pocuk)

Dear all.
A few days ago I suffered that nightmarish water loss thing - engine temp went up, heater stopped working. Let engine cool down, topped up water and all seemed fine for a few days. Then on Thursday, same happened again. Decided to see what waa going on this time having previously done the usual stuff like cleaning the filler cap. Checking for leaks was difficult as it was raining so couldn't see where water was dripping from.
This time though I noticed steam coming from under the intercooler. Unbolted and moved intercooler out of the way and saw the problem immediately - the metal spring clamp that clamps the top rad hose to the engine head had snapped...just like that...and water was being forced out under pressure. Replaced it with a proper jubilee clip.
While mooching around I also noticed that the top rad hose rubs against the edge of the fan cowling under the intercooler and is starting to be damaged. This looks like it could easily cause a coolant leak if left unchecked so I've taped the hose with self-amalgamating tape (damage at the moment is only very slight) and I've bent the corner of the cowling out of the way of the hose with a pair of pliers.
Next tep will be to replace the spring clamps with jubilee clips as they all look pretty corroded. The clamps to the rad I'll leave as spring ones so as not to damage the plastic when it expands.
Pete
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
alan S

Hi pete
Fingers crossed no further damage is done , I think if it was our old estima engine it would be a new head (vertually garenteeed) they are real bad on a bad overheat. I hope you caught it early and many thanks for passing on the information to all. I'll do an eyeball on our set of hoses tomorrow specially around the fan housing.

Regards
Alan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guru

Quote:
While mooching around I also noticed that the top rad hose rubs against the edge of the fan cowling under the intercooler and is starting to be damaged. This looks like it could easily cause a coolant leak if left unchecked so I've taped the hose with self-amalgamating tape (damage at the moment is only very slight) and I've bent the corner of the cowling out of the way of the hose with a pair of pliers.

been there, done that one, bingdon this year on the way home. b l o o d y pain it was, found all the rads covered in the corners with mud as well, all sorted, new hose ex milners, and a big hammer on the cowl.

PeteMillis

No damage done at all - I check temp guage about 4 times per minute anyway
Pete
2.8 L400 Delica EXCEED
Nothing within any of my posts or info from this site may be reproduced anywhere without permission ©

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 16:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: