2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Annoying squeak - Front offside suspension?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happyjack
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50    Post subject: Annoying squeak - Front offside suspension? Reply with quote

Hi All
I wonder if anyone can help? I have suffered from a very, very annoying squeak on the offside front suspension for a couple of years now, it comes and goes but now is getting worse.
I'm fairly convinced that it is coming from where the torsion bar meets the rear of the upper wishbone.
Is this a bearing that needs replacing or is there a hidden grease nipple or something?
I've thrown all manner of grease, wd40 and 3 in 1 at it but no success.
Please help! I've turned the radio as loud as it will go but I can still hear it!
Also noticed just now that a squeak occurs when turning at low speed in a smooth carpark with no bumps?
Maybe this is a different squeak.

cheers

Happyjack
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Dragoncloud888

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 13:38    Post subject: Front suspension squeak Reply with quote

I recently went on my annual camping trip to the North of Scotland & stayed on a camping site that was very much offroad.

The problem started when I was driving on very rough ground with the ESC on accidentally I wondered why the ride was so rough,

then realised the ESC was on but it was too late.Shortly after it then started to squeak like a ba..... & was very annoying to say the least.

After tightening all wishbone connection bolts it was still the same.(THIS USUALLY CURES SQUEAKS)

After closer inspection I realised that the problem was the suspension unit.

At its base where it was bolted to the bottom wishbone,It had bent ever so slightly therefore putting a slight sideways pressure on the unit.

So the rod had been pressed up against the side of the unit wearing out the seals as it went up & down very quickly,thus causing the squeak!

The way I confirmed this was by removing the bolt from the bottom of the sus. unit & checked the hole for alighnment,sure enough it wasn't.

I then twisted the bottle back & forth quater turn left & quater turn right & noticed a bearly audible squeak.

When I put a new ESC specific unit back in I wil have to figure out how to realign the sus. base cradle,maybe with a longish rod & a bit of brute force?

I have just received a proper replacement this morning after much searching on the internet.Prices range from £90 or more to £30+£5(P&P).

I setteled for the latter & found it on "fleabay" the seller was called "littlehurst",just look up "Delica BREAKING".

I hope this sheds some light on your problem & is of some help to you.  :D
Happyjack
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DragonCloud

you have stated "After tightening all wishbone connection bolts it was still the same.(THIS USUALLY CURES SQUEAKS) ".
Is there anyway you can clarify which bolts they are?

I don't actually have ESC units but I have recently changed the shock absorbers and I'm pretty sure that had no effect but I shall check
the alignment of the bottom mounting.
The squeak does coincide with the shock absorber moving but I'm fairly sure it's the upper wishbone that's the site of the problem.

thanks again for your post

Happyjack
Dragoncloud888

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 15:19    Post subject: Suspension squeak Reply with quote

They are the ones that are either side of the upper & lower wishbones.

But be sure to tighten the "NUT & NOT THE BOLT"side as the bolt side has to be left in its preselected position to ensure proper wheel allighnment!

Also if this is not your problem it could be that since you have left it with this squeak for a long time that a groove could be worn into your wishbone pivot bolts.

As these run through a metal sleeve which is surrounded by a rubber bush.This sleeve is usually crimped tight by the nut & bolt at the wishbones pivot.

This is the depth of my knowledge on this matter,but please feel free to ask me anything & I will try to help you as best I can. :D
philmotman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be ball joints try to oil the ball joint (pull rubber seal away and oil inside rubber) see if it goes quite hope this helps.phil.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 20:29    Post subject: Re: Front suspension squeak Reply with quote

Dragoncloud888 wrote:
I recently went on my annual camping trip to the North of Scotland & stayed on a camping site that was very much offroad.

The problem started when I was driving on very rough ground with the ESC on accidentally I wondered why the ride was so rough,

There is no specific requirement to switch the ECS on or off when offroad, it is purely down to a drivers personal comfort choice.

When in normal mode the Electronic Controlled Suspension will sense the terrain and alter itself accordingly. The pressing of the ECS button (Note: its not called an ESC Button, look at the spelling on it) simply turns the internal pistons of the shock absorbers to reduce the amount of oil passing between the upper and lower areas to increase the damping effect for a bit more comfort to the passengers.  However that can also cause a sideways motion that makes some people 'seasick'.

Dragoncloud888 wrote:
After closer inspection I realised that the problem was the suspension unit.

At its base where it was bolted to the bottom wishbone,It had bent ever so slightly therefore putting a slight sideways pressure on the unit.

So the rod had been pressed up against the side of the unit wearing out the seals as it went up & down very quickly,thus causing the squeak!

The way I confirmed this was by removing the bolt from the bottom of the sus. unit & checked the hole for alighnment,sure enough it wasn't.

I then twisted the bottle back & forth quater turn left & quater turn right & noticed a bearly audible squeak.

I take it by this that you mean the shock absorber had turned slightly in the bottom eyebolt fixing.  Thats normal, undoing the bolt and turning it straight is a waste of time as it will simply turn again during normal driving, it has absolutely no effect whatsoever to the vertical movement of the shock absorber piston.  You can of course reduce the gap between the brackets either by use of a hammer or inserting a washer between the bush and the bracket side.

What is more likely is that the hole through the rubber bush in the eyebolt has enlarged, so the shocker moves around slightly on the bolt.  

The only way to cure that is to either fit a new shocker, as a secondhand one will also be prone to wear, or you can source some aftermarket rubber or polyurethane bushes to replace the worn ones.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Happyjack
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys! Good news! I appear to have fixed the annoying squeak!

The solution appears to have been changing the top ball joint which I did last night.
Only took about an hour or so and was fairly straightforward even for a relative novice such as I.

This was actually suggested as a possible cure by drooper on a post months & months back
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21098&highlight=  
but I was convinced it was the upper wishbone bearings as this is where the sound appeared to be coming from.
The clue that finally made be suspect the ball joint was that I noticed that the squeak occurred not only when going over bumps but also when turning the steering whilst stationary.
Thanks again to all for their suggestions of causes & cures.

(very) Happyjack
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old post but i have a squeak i cannot solve after even after new shocks and arb bushes my squeak from the front offside is over bumps its really loud a cacophony even and over ever ripple i also have a continuous squeak when i turn the steering wheel from dead centre to full lock left and back again in forward or reverse.
The squeak gets worse if i turn left but stops altogether if i turn right and take the weight so to speak off the right hand side of the blunderbus  
Lube on the wishbone bearing used to work for a bit but i am not sure what it is really despite time spent under it musing i nearly bought a new wishbone but thought i would of felt foolish if its not that £225 later so any takers on what's wrong my latest thought is buying a cheapo top ball joint to see if that solves it and buy a better one when it dies in a short period of time.
Cheers
Bazza  

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
Diver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ball joints are a favourite for a nice squeak!  Are they completely sealed or do have a little bolt you can take out to fit a grease nipple?

Like on here: http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41037&sid=f8e90f3a15fb776c9e18f69757e05e06
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Botttom one has a grub screw but i can pump some grease in the top one I have been fixating on the bottom wishbone but felt vibration through the top ball joint last night which led me here.
Bazza

Diver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a suspect......   Laughing
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully its a cheaper option  :D  its the fact that the squeak is a constant one all the way from dead centre to full lock still has me puzzled.
Bazza

unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diver wrote:
I think you have a suspect......   Laughing

Well not a suspect anymore it was the ball joint that did it m'lud i packed it full of grease and it seems to of stopped so much cheaper than a wishbone i was stumped the ball joint was a year old and i greased it every so often but not often enough it seems.
So if you hear a constant noise like a sealion honking when turnings or honks over every bump it might be summat easy to sort. :D
Bazza

Diver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclebazwold wrote:

the ball joint was a year old and i greased it every so often but not often enough it seems.

Milner's???   Laughing
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ebay special its just passed the mot so is okay but just needed grease though i bought it to replace the year old trashed Milners one. Rolling Eyes I have always gone cheap as i trash them off road but have an oem inner track rod (£90 Shocked )and front and rear arb bushes now so hoping to get some life from them i read oem bottom ball joint are beefier than Paj ones and sealed for life so i will stick them on when needed for longevity if funds allow.
Bazza

Diver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever tried the Blueprint upper ball joints? Looks like they're only a tenner more than the Milner ones. Reckon i'll go for them when the time comes. Lowers are not much cheaper than genuine though..... Shocked
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the odd Blueprint and you are right they could be the best bet for uppers  though my local stockist thinks i am asking for something comparable to a piece of moon rock for availability i also remember my Blueprint inner track rod gave up the ghost early on when Salisbury gloop got past the gaiter. Laughing
Bazza

chrisreah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

have i wandered in to a parallel universe?? bazza appears to have been mechanicking???

surely les has been doing all this for you??
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diver wrote:
Ever tried the Blueprint upper ball joints? Looks like they're only a tenner more than the Milner ones. Reckon i'll go for them when the time comes. Lowers are not much cheaper than genuine though..... Shocked

Went to get some early in 2011 from my local BLUE PRINT supplier. They came out with a pair of them (which are greased for life) and also some Delphi (Lockheed) ones (part No: TC596) which have a grease nipple on the top.

I took the Delphi ones. Apart from being a very high quality part, at £19 + VAT they were £15 cheaper for the pair.  Laughing

I haven't had to regrease them yet.  :D

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
stevem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:09    Post subject: ball joints Reply with quote

Hi
Lewis I take it you recommend that TC596 part then?  Currently on The Bay for about 17 quid each. Tempted to buy 2 JIC
Regards
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: