Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

FT-857 fitment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 23:21    Post subject: FT-857 fitment Reply with quote

So anyway, I decided to try and fit my 857 properly in the Deli and I looked at the alternatives for remote mounting it, but wasn't really happy, it seemed the best place was under the rear seat, which was going to be a cabling nightmare, and meant things could hit it if they got under the seat, and since i regularly stuff things under the seats myself, this looked pretty likely.  I'd also want to swap the japanese double din for a single din that would recieve radio.  Thats when the light went on, could I combine the installs? So I measured up, and it looked feasible.

I started off with this, 12mm pine strip in between the frame, the radio is 1" narrower than a din unit, so it needed packing out:

Initially I was going to mount it using the front hole on the rig in line with front hole on the bracket, they seem to almost line up in the correct spot, here's a pic with it there:

But it was no good there, sits too high, and too far back, the rear of the radio fouls stuff a bit and you have to crush it in, and I couldn't access the head unit speaker/phone socket, which i wanted to.  So it was mounted lower and 18mm forward.  I had to remove the bail and feet to do all this of course. The cable ties on the stereo are intentional, the stereo has to go below as the radio would fould heater gubbins.  The mount holes in the stero are pressed steel threads in the sheet steel, and as such useless for actually tightening down, plus, they only matched holes in the plates in the upper position, so I drilled the plates a bit and fed cable ties through, I've done this before, it's a lot more solid than trying to get bolts to stay in, and gives a bit of wiggle room for this weird install.

The end result mounts the radio nice and solidly, the stereo is a bit fiddly to get to but who cares, I know where the buttons are.  For driving it's fine, it's hard to 'operate' a menu driven radio on the go anyway, so all i need is memories stored and to be able to get to the mic and volume.  For stationary operating, you can reach it easier from the passenger seat anyway, plus I have the remote kit I can always use to sit elsewhere.  The 3.5mm plug you can see feeds the aux of the stereo, and a dongle makes the stereo think it's a cd changer, so on the move I have full 40w surround sound, stationary, I can unplug and use the extension speaker mounted beneath it, or mix and match.

The power cables come out from under the gear lever casing and across the floor, under the black mat, I intend to break out at that point and fit a cigarette lighter style plug, which when used will disconnect it from the main batteries, and let me plug into a battery booster style pack, for some stationary QRP work that won't drain the batteries.  The blue wire is a future mod by the way, +ve from the ashtray light, to run the backlight on a turbo boost gauge yet to be fitted.

Anywa, just thought I'd post, this forum is a bit quiet, and it was a fun little project!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 23:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

LITTLEKENGRIFF
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

snap!!!

mu0chn
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s good to see another Ham on here.
How’s the cooling or do you run it at a lower power setting. Also what antenna do you use?

Yojimbo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

LITTLEKENGRIFF wrote:
snap!!!

Is that a factory made adapter?

radio_van_man wrote:
It’s good to see another Ham on here.
How’s the cooling or do you run it at a lower power setting. Also what antenna do you use?

Hi, M0YOJ, like my forum name ;-)  I don't believe cooling will be an issue, it has no passive cooling via venting top and bottom, there is a pair of fans in the front of the unit, that draw air in from slots and holes on the top and bottom of the very front, push it through the chassis, and out through the rear heatsink, the holes are all clear at the front as it's a bit forward, and the airflow isn't that restricted at the back, there's some stuff behind it, heater piping etc, but there's a lot of empty space around it, I expect it will be okay, but I haven't used it in anger yet.

The antenna for vhf/uhf is one of these:

http://www.moonraker.eu/Amateur-Radio/Mobile-Whip-Antennas/Dual-and-Tri-Band/MRQ500-270-MOBILE-ANTENNA

Mounted on the passenger side mirror arm, the arm itself is insulated  as it happens, its inside a rubber sleeve for damping I expect, so I had to bond the mount to the mirror body mount, SWR is good, and it will open GB3BN from my driveway, which is about 25/30 miles, with a dirty great hill in between, and it's 70cms, so only 20 watts.

For HF I have a single band whip on the bullbar, not ideal, but the future plan is a light bar with antenna mounts, I didn't want to use a gutter mount because the HF whips wave around a lot when you are on bumpy stuff. Although if I put it that high, I'm not sure I'll get into garage forecourts! I had the same antenna on my landy front wing, and it scraped the lights at asda's petrol stations  Laughing
Nathan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you happy that someone won't try and rip out that 857?!

Thats the only reason I went for a removable setup for the face of my 706Mk2 G. At £400 secondhand I didn't fancy losing it!

You say you use a single band HF antenna, what band is it for? I don't really do any mobile HF work, antennas are always such a compromise although I have used my ATX Walkabout whilst static in the 11m magmount on 5w which worked surprisingly well. I usually use it on my little 817 when portable.
Yojimbo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it crossed my mind about thieving scrotes, but it's just not the same as it was during the cb craze, I'd expect a quality car phone setup is more stealable these days. Or if I'd fitted a double din dvd player, or satnav.  Plus, it's effectively a face off, like a stereo, so I just remove it when I'm not in the vehicle, then it's just a blank end, most people won't know what it is.  People that are in the know could recognise an empty backing plate and know that the body is in the car somewhere, just follow the wires. It's also why I fitted an old cassette stereo, its a decent amp, but in cassette player housing, with a decent amp I can make noise, cheaply, but who is going to go to the trouble of stealing an old cassette stereo, with no face?

The whip is 20M, when I had it on my landy with my old Kenwood 120V, a 10 watt radio, I worked europe and even the US while /M, here's some pics of that effort :D

Lovely recieve, really low noise floor, but not very good /M as the VFO didn't lock ;-) one slip going for the mic and your halfway across the band!   Laughing
LITTLEKENGRIFF
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

mines a cb Embarassed but i "adapted" the fitting kit to make it fit smoothly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: