4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

New Driver towing with Delica

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laughjimbo

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 13:43    Post subject: New Driver towing with Delica Reply with quote

My wife is taking her driving test soon after years of putting it off, she can drive really well with no issues just has not had the confidence to put in for her test.
Anyway to the point of my post. If / when she passed she will be restricted to the weight of trailer she can tow due to her only having a "B" license and not "B+E".
This is my question, i understand, and correct me if i am wrong, but she would be able to tow a vehicle + trailer combination not exceeding 3500kg total. Also she cannot tow a trailer that is heavier than the towing vehicles weight. Is this the Vehicles Max Gross Weight which I think is 2420 for my 1997 Jasper. We tow a folding camper whose max gross weight is 1000 kg, so that means that she should be able to tow with the Delica because the combined weight is 2420 +1000 = 3420 kg so just under.
Am i right???  :?  :?

Thanks in advance, we just need to know if she would need to take the B+E test to tow our current outfit.

Jamie
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 13:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bulldoggy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the definitive guide would be found on the DVLA website.

hth
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) is what counts here not just the vehicle weight:-

The term maximum authorised mass (MAM) means the total weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load it can carry safely.

You say your vehicle weight is 2420Kg, which is that of a 2.8TD 4WD, with either an Aero roof or a High roof, without Crystal Lite windows.

With that particular Model the 'Maximum Cargo weight (the maximum load it can carry safely), shown on page 15 of the Deli manual, is 750kg.

So 2420+750 = 3,170kg

Then there is the weight of the trailer to add on.

3170+1000= 4,170kg

1. The vehicles that can be driven in Group B are:-
    Motor vehicles with a MAM of up to 3,500 kg, no more than eight passenger seats, with or without a trailer - weighing no more than 750 kg

2. Or for trailers over 750Kg:-
    As category B but with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg. The total weight of the vehicle and the trailer together can’t weigh more than 3,500 kg. The weight of the trailer, when fully loaded, can’t weigh more than the unladen weight of the vehicle

The 1st section precludes your trailer as it is over 750kg, so the second section comes into play, which I believe means the weight of the Deli, plus the Max cargo weight plus the trailer, IE: 4170kg, which is in excess of the Group B weights.

Which does indicate the B+E test is required.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
laughjimbo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis for that, this is where the confusion is with these laws, i personally thought and had it confirmed by 2 other people that it would be the Max Gross of the Deli at 2420 kg + Trailer 1000kg max. But i was unsure and you have cleared that up for me. Why do they make some of these laws so confusing, most people are unsure and to be honest one of the people that told me that we could tow with a "B" license is my mate Phil and he is a traffic offices for the Met. But if she has to do a B+E test then she will have to because we plan to get a caravan in a couple of years and she wants to tow that.
Thanks again for the info Smile

Jamie
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I am unsure of is if the trailer weight is just that of the bog standard item or inclusive of any camping items you may have packed inside it, which would put it over 1,000kg!  Sad

Though a B+E group added to the licence would cover that.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
laughjimbo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 1000 kg is fully loaded, it is 850kg unladen. If the figure for the vehicle max gross weight being 2420kg was the max then we would be okay i think with the B license. I would like her to do the B+E and so does she but she did want to wait until next year for that.

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: