Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

HAM??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drooper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 22:06    Post subject: HAM?? Reply with quote

I am going to be fitting a CB in the Deli after Christmas, which will be great.

I have heard and read a lot about HAM radio, and I am also thinking about fitting one of those too just incase I need it at some point.

As we all no we can't always rely on mobile phone networks, so I figure the more ways of making contact with someone in an emergency the better.

But.............I have no idea what HAM radio is or how it works, I have seen stuff about doing exams for licenses and call signs but again I have no idea what it all means.

Can I run the two side by side, meaning having the two aerials on the roof without any trouble?

NOTE: I would be very greatful if no one would post any pictures of my children anywhere,
I won't post pics of my kids or anyone elses so please do me the same courtesy. Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 22:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

landroverlover is the only man i know who has big arials off all types sticking out of his roof he would know.
Bazza

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
ACE DELI
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Wherever our canal narrow boat takes us...at 3MPH max.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

A CB radio requires it's own aerial specific to the frequency it operates on, a CB retailer will stock the correct type.  Basically the bigger an aerial is the better it will perform but it has to be tuned to the frequency it will operate on to obtain maximum efficiency.  A 27MHz CB wavelength is 11m long so an aerial should be this size for maximum efficiency BUT it's obviously not practical for mobile use so it will have to be a tuned fraction of this length, the aerial designers will have done the maths so you get a workable aerial.

HAM radio (abbreviated from Amateur) requires a licence to operate so you have to sit an exam to get your callsign (mine is GW1RCF but I haven't used it since before I moved from Wales or it would be G1RCF).  Illegal useage is monitored and fines can be heavy including confiscation of the vehicle Shocked

I believe the need for a CB licence is no longer required though I could be wrong on that (it was £10 pa for up to 3 sets)

HTH

Cheers

David
swizZer
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Stacksteads (near Bacup), Lancashire (where the sun never shines and the rain always rains)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAM? Do you not fancy  spam1 instead? I've heard the receptions better Laughing
Nathan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

As David says, theres no licence required for CB anymore so you can go out, buy a setup and use it straight away. Most CB rigs are 80 channel now rather than the old 40. All channels are legal to use.

I use two aerials on my Deli- one for CB (11 metre band) and one for 145Mhz/430Mhz (2 metre/70cm bands) which gives me lots of stuff to listen to and transmit on. I am licensed however to use frequencies outside of CB. The 11m aerial is about as big as they get for mobile use - it's a Sirio 4000 which is near enough 2 metres tall. The 2m antenna is a Watson 770 which is around 1.6 metres tall. And yes, the Deli does look like a porcupine!! The 2m and 70cm bands are good because there are loads of repeaters dotted around. I can login to the Danbury repeaters which give me coverage accross the whole of Essex. Ideal if you get in trouble somewhere. That said, most of Essex is covered by phone repeaters anyway!

I use the one radio for all this - an Icom IC706 Mk2G which is a face-off unit and so it's easy to conceal. The main part of the radio is under the drivers seat.

Amateur radio licences in the UK come in 3 stages in the UK at the moment - Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced. I have the Foundation which gives you a recognised (and more importantly, legal) callsign. I have not progressed to the other two stages yet as in terms of frequencies which you are allowed to transmit on theres not really any advantage. The main reason progressing would be due to the increased power levels you can run. I will prob do it at some point, but this would be to progress my knowledge of radio rather than just for the power advantages.

I am a regular radio user- it's always on if I'm in the bus and I have a duplicate load of kit at home as well. Theres masses of info out on the net, if you need any help just ask away. Most ham's are a really friendly bunch - you have to be as it's viewed as such a sad hobby! I love it though, if only for the technicalities behind it. Being able to speak to Australia on 5 watts is something I will never forget Smile

Cheers

NAthan
Nathan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a pic of my radio - I'll take a photo of the aerials later just to give you a laugh!

Landrover lover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just repaired an icom 706 and its the secnd I have seen with the same fault (showing an intermintant high swr and no output power)  and after speaking to an icom engineer he recons that the band pass filter does not like transmitting on 11m and causes RF to track across the components leading to damage to the output transistors. At first i thought he may of not liked the 11m band but after speaking to a few other people there seems that there may be some truth to this . I run the ic 7000 but don't know if it will be effected in the same way so will be keeping the power down on 11 from now on
Nathan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info, always good. Of course, aside from the legalities of transmitting on CB 11m from an amateur radio I would find it a bit odd that there wouldn't be more issues if the 706 was struggling with the band. Bearing in mind just how many people must Tx on 11m with a 706 surely 80% of them would have ended up at the rig doctors by now??!!

I know of more than a few guys using full power from a 706 on 11m for several years with no issues. I'm not discounting your thoughts at all though, but maybe theres something else on 11m that is causing the problems rather than the rigs themselves? Ex-cb'ers with high SWR's maybe?!
Landrover lover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Can't remember if the other 706 I did had been snipped and i will try and find out . Snipped is when the radio is modified to transmit on frequancys that you are not allowd to transmit on (for those who don't know) And yes amature radio is great and most of us are friendly. Its real easy to get into the hobby now but you need to either find a radio club that is dooing a coarse or get a group of people together and persuad a club to run a short coarse. If there were enough people on the forum interested maybe something could be arranged for a weekend
Duracell Bunny
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

swizZer wrote:
HAM? Do you not fancy  spam1 instead? I've heard the receptions better Laughing

I'm with swizzer on this one........... :D  Twisted Evil  Rolling Eyes  Embarassed  Laughing  Laughing

On another note...............

I've just brought myself a Red Thunder Antenna............. :D  :D

Cheapish and cheerful and 1.89 mtr's long.................. :D  :D

I too used the "what if the mobile don't work" with the missus to justify buying my Cb rig.............. Wink  Laughing
Bushman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ought to come up with a list of licensed amateurs with delis-I'm G0OZO, although I haven't been active for quite a while. I have been thinking about putting a dual bander in the Deli though.
mu0chn
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good idea.

Will be fitting my IC-706 mk2 in my van soon. Hope to have it done by the time I have fixed the water leak.

Nathan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a pic of mine Smile Can you see the tip of the 11m antenna? At 2 metres long it's just about twice the height of the Deli! As for the Ford, I didn't have the kahunas to try it- the sign just up ahead read the depth at 4 feet....

As for a callsign list, it was tried before in an earlier thread but I don't think it went very far. Deli drivers seem rare as it is, let alone ham Deli drivers! Anyway, I'm M3VUC.

alex3025

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-)  8-) Very old subject i know but my call is MM0OXX plan on using car as mobile shack have a ft857 in wifes car with atas120,planning on fitting a table in back and using an ft840 with a src80 vertical anntena about 20 feet tall mounted on to front ball bar  for uses when parked up  Wink  Wink
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
mu0chn
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a few weeks ago

12m Spiderbeam pole with 40' 6" wire and a 9:1 unun

And now last week at home

Home made base plate with 1/4 wave vertical for 10m and 4 1/4 wave radials

alex3025

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-) Looks like a great set up you have there  8-)
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
mamos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CB fitted to my Delica but there is not much activity to be honest although I did hear some Polish voices the other day.

I might fit a Yeasu FT 817 soon as I know where I can get one pretty cheap. Just got to decide what antenna to get. I will probably use it on 2m/70cm most of all through our local repeater but it would be nice to use it on HF as well.

What multiband antennas do you guys recommend?

mamos
Kev H
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your Amateur call? Will try and work you next time I'm down in Cornwall.

Kev
evoasis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to revive a dead topic, but if anyone on here still HAMs (not CB) is the testing difficult?  I'll be coming from the states, and will want to put a setup on my rig when I re-locate, being a HAM tech out here.
mu0chn
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the RSGB for info. It is a bit different now from when I did it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: