2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

cb help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyfixit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 19:53    Post subject: cb help needed Reply with quote

I  have a kitcar that I want to fit a cb into can anybody recommend a decent aerial that

1 doesn't need a ground
2 looks neat when fitted (as I don't really want more holes in my cabroilet)
3 I don't have a boot or gutter to fit it on
4 has to be a good match to my cobra 29 uk st
5 not white like other marine aerials
6 decent make
7 easy to take off when not in use

cheers Johnny Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 19:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

primate1970
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not to sure but I think most Aerials need some sort of ground...?  (ie need to be mounted either by magnet or by a bracket/hole in body)
I don't think the range would be very good and at worst could damage your CB if it's not transmitting properly..??

You can get some decent/neat mounting brackets nowdays and could always put a quick release on the antenna to make it easier to remove..???

As far as a the rig you can get some really neat sets now with front mounted speakers and fit in a standard DIN hole..

Try here...  http://www.lorrybits.com/index.php?cPath=168&oscsid=8ea8cac5f3da7fa1f12a05b78de28bb7

Why not post up a pic of your car and see if we can tell you where to stick it???? Laughing

HTH    Ric.
johnnyfixit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for you

I know you can get marine aerials that don't need a ground (egp) could I ground a normal one to the sub frame  :?
then again wor lass will need one too

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that an antennae 'Ground' is not the same as 'earthing'.  When refering to a Ground in relation to Antennae the correct phrase is 'Ground Plane', which is a conductive metal surface acting as a reflector for the antennae signal. Like the large rear section of a normal TV antennae. Think of the whip part of the antennae as being half of it and the vehicle being the other half.

With cars that have metal in the bodywork the car acts as a 1/4 wave groundplane and the larger the reflective surface around it then the better the efficiency of the antennae.  An Artic with a CB has a much better efficiency than a Tranny van and a Van is better than a Mini.

Ground Plane kits exist as a mounting base for mobile whips, and have several wire terminals or hardwired ground radials attached. These kits are designed to have a mobile whip screwed on top.  The ground radials take the place of the vehicle body, which is used as the reflector for the mobile whip in a typical vehicle installation.

A suitable mobile antenna for your vehicle would be a continuously-loaded half-wave antenna. These do not necessarily require a ground plane to present a near 50 Ohm load to the radio, and are often used on fiberglass vehicles such as snowmobiles or boats.

Note that Marine radio's operate at a higher frequency so their antennae are not suitable for CB's. All CB antennae need to be tuned to the radio, otherwise you run the risk of damaging it.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Landrover lover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem you are facing is the mount for the antenna. You say no holes but you need to find some way of fixing the antenna. A marine type antenna has a small matching device in the base of the antenna as these type of antennas are designed primarily for GRP or wooden boats. You could use a normal CB antenna and base and then connect some wire from the earth side of the antenna base to the chassis (on the inside of the car out of site) which would probably work or you could use a few pieces of wire tucked out of the way. The length of the wires used would need to be worked out depending upon the wave length of the antenna. I would try the wire to chassis first as this will probably work but remember you must CHECK THE SWR as you may find you will need to adjust the antenna length slightly. Or buy a handheld

John
m0jfk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 23:44    Post subject: Antenna tuning Reply with quote

Can I add here that the radio is 50ohm's by design the coax or cable that go's to the antenna is 50hms by design what is not 50ohm's by design is the Antenna and its by making the antenna bigger or smaller by sliding the antenna's whip up and down in its holder that you try to make the antenna become 50ohm's otherwise an out of match system will be evident and will show up on the SWR meter. You can have a antenna standing in free air with no ground anywhere near it and it will be matched giving a Isotropic value (a perfect zero loss match to the 50ohm's) however in the real world this does not exist and what your trying to do is make the antenna 50ohm's in relation to the place your trying to mount it also taking into account your location and the vehicle itself because even passing a large building will make your SWR reading rise and lower...try it and see.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:30    Post subject: Re: Antenna tuning Reply with quote

m0jfk wrote:
Can I add here that the radio is 50ohm's by design the coax or cable that go's to the antenna is 50hms by design what is not 50ohm's by design is the Antenna and its by making the antenna bigger or smaller by sliding the antenna's whip up and down in its holder that you try to make the antenna become 50ohm's otherwise an out of match system will be evident and will show up on the SWR meter. You can have a antenna standing in free air with no ground anywhere near it and it will be matched giving a Isotropic value (a perfect zero loss match to the 50ohm's) however in the real world this does not exist and what your trying to do is make the antenna 50ohm's in relation to the place your trying to mount it also taking into account your location and the vehicle itself because even passing a large building will make your SWR reading rise and lower...try it and see.

Could you say that again in English please!  Rolling Eyes

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
m0jfk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 18:41    Post subject: In English? Reply with quote

lol ...  :D sorry I thought everyone on here spoke Spanish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: