Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

best place for aerial mount?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moggymarts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 23:09    Post subject: best place for aerial mount? Reply with quote

hi
were is it best to mount my arial and were to mount my 2m rig as not sure were to put it ? :? can anyone help pleases
martin 2M0GDF
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 23:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

spacecadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

well is it a magmount?or what? and which Deli do you have ,L300 or L400 Question that would help with suggestions :D
i showed them i'm no fool,
now they call me mr cool!!
LITTLEKENGRIFF
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

mines on my light bar, i beleive higher = better
johnboy6

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would also help to know the type of roof, eg. solid, sunroofs, crystalite etc. My roof is a solid one, so I have opted for a magmount as near the centre as possible to get the best groundplane available.
m0jfk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:43    Post subject: Location of Antenna Reply with quote

The centre where you have it now is best, and it’s always better to have it mounted to the metal rather than use a mag mount.

Centre location gives an even all round signal if you put it to the front then the strongest part of your signal will go to the rear and if you put it to the back then the strongest part of your signal will go to the front.

Mag mounts are a trade off for not wanting to drill holes in your car and the drawback with these is they are only coupled by capacitance and all sorts of factors effect these type of capacity coupled mount systems that use a mag mount base.

Mounting them low on the back bumper or on the front bull bar greatly reduces the operating range (on simplex anyway) and makes them more prone to beam a signal in a forward or backward (pending location front to back) direction because the bulk of the vehicle is now reflecting the signal.

I can give you more technical confirmation of this if need be but I am trying to explain things in more simple terms for those who are not radio hams like you, and I am not saying people who are not hams are simple it’s that it is a very technical subject and a lot of people including ham's don’t have the correct theory or have wrong conceptions of that theory.

[img][/img]

Last edited by m0jfk on Fri Nov 13, 2009 15:15; edited 7 times in total
Bushman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like M0JFK says, the best place wold be the middle of the roof, mounted direct to the metal (with a backing plate to strengthen it). The main downsides to this are having to drill the roof, and making a mess if you forget about the aerial & go under something low-mind you, most aerial mounts will do this if you forget the aerial-even a mag mount will scratch and dint the roof. Add the fact that you can't put a very big aerial on a mag mount or it will tend to fall off at speed. I'm toying with biting the bullet and getting a dual bander. I will either find a suitable gutter mount, or quite possibly mount it on a light bar. The ground plane won't be very good, but I'll offset that by using a decent antenna. If you're only going to be working repeaters and short range simplex I wouldn't worry too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: