Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Fridge problem ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noisey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 15:26    Post subject: Fridge problem ??? Reply with quote

We inherited a Eletrolux fridge when we brought our trailer tent.
It all seemed in good condition last year before we went on holiday (although it was a bit hit & miss at first, possibly a hint at there being an issue with it) - I plugged it into 230v & it worked, even drove it around on the 12v and it still worked - within a day of being on holiday & on 230v it gave up the ghost & refused to work from then on.

As we are about to go back on holiday this year I thought I would look at fixing it or throw it out....

Both heaters heat up okay, both 12v (used a battery charger as a power source) & 230v (plugged them in & they heat up okay).
I am now heat soaking the 230v for a period to see if it will continue to work...The back is warm, as are the pipes and the inside is cooling - so it is working...  I assume that running it without any foodstuffs in won;t kill it ?

However to avoid lugging it around France again I would prefer to see if I could fix it, assuming it was broke last year.

Could this be an issue with the thermal cut out / temp setting knob ???  as it seems to be intermittent.
I can get spares for about £26 on the web,  or can I circumnavigate it to save the money ?  see photo, it has a wire tube coming out of the base of the switch, which coils around & attaches to the back of the fridge...

Thoughts / ideas anyone ??

Thanks
Noisey
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 15:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Jackdaw

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was the thermostat, so it would keep the temperature as set on the control knob.
Where do you keep the fridge when you're traveling ? The reason I ask  is that I know these fridges need lots of ventilation, and they give off A lot of heat, as they cool down. I'm not sure I'd want that amount of heat filling the Deli . It may well be that without fresh air on the back of the unit, it would impair the performance. :?  :?
Sorry it's not much help fella, just a thought.

Dave
Noisey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackdaw

Anything helps, thanks - the unit was fine when we travelled down to France last year on 12v, with it in the back of the Deli last year, we didn;t notice any heat build up...
Although it packed up when in France whilst overnight in the tent hooked up to the 230v, when it was cool and didn;t work since.

It has worked this afternoon in our warm conservitory on both 12v & 230v.

Which made me wonder if it was the switch, it seems to be intermittent and the switch / temp sensor are the only other things in the electrical circuit, other than the heaters....

However this year I was going to use the box it came in, which sits in the trailer apex just behind the tow hitch.
The box is a typical caravan / trailer fridge box with vent holes, although I would only use 12v power with it in the box whilst travelling and remove it into the tent when on 230v...

Noisey
Noisey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upate...

Before holiday I kept the fridge on for many days with bottles of lemonade in and it worked fine - so we took it on holiday....

It worked fine all holiday, hooked up to the camp site's 230v (with stupid French 2 pin plugs, so I had to buy another extension & converter plugs) and the 12v...

So heaven knows why it packed up last year but it was fine for over 10 days on both power sources, in fact so well we had frost on the back plate.

Noisey
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds very familiar our camping fridge frosts up over night.....but we only use it as an extension of the caravan unit !

Glad you got sorted though

My Delica Album
jennysteve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes they just need regassing and that prevents it from cutting out. hth. Wink

MUSTAVIT ! AND JEN
motorang

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

This cooling system is very sensitive to not being operated in horizontal position.

Any absorber system will fail to work if tilted more than a few degrees from its ideal position (4-6 degrees), especially the starting phase is critical.

Andy
Compressor fridge man
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: