Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Do I need a stabilizer ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36    Post subject: Do I need a stabilizer ? Reply with quote

I have bought a caravan and am a first timer.

I have driven 7.5 tonne lorries for years, trailers with industrial mowers etc but never a caravan.

I have fitted a towbar from Towequipe and done the elctrics now however I'm reading things avbout that are starting to concern me regarding stabilizers.

Do i need one ?

What do they prevent ?

Why do people use them ?

Is because some vehicles are lighter and need them to help with the support ?

The Deli fully laden will be approx 2.5 tonne and the caravan comes in at a weight of 1.5 tonne. Surely the Deli with it's weight and road stability will control it fully  or will it not ?

All answers welcome ASAP please as the towing starts Saturday morning !!

thanks

Notty
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

grasshole (RIP)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Notty, many years ago when i was 21ish i had my first caravan and drove down to Paignton from Chester. About half way their is when i had my first encounter with whats known as the tail wagging the dog and it was absolutely terryifing. I believe something was watching over us that day as apart from the caravan being trashed we were fine, a succesion of wagons had gone past causing what can only be described as a suction effect thus causing the van to sway. The moral of this little tale is always use a stabiliser of some sort and always load your van properly or you may not live to tell the tale Shocked
supersaints
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
  depends on what year your van is ,as the newwer ones have al-ko stabiliser built into towing hitch.
 older vans just need a bracket on a frame and one bolted to tow bar . easy fit.
ST Helens
Ange

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Grasshole says....it won't probably be you that does anything wrong....you might tow like a dream.

But there are a lot of foreign wagons on the road now which don't have limiters...meaning they can go above 56mph.  Get a good run on and 60 can be kept up sometimes.....and that would make a sway in the right conditions....but the foreign ones whizzing past you will not make towing the easiest things you have ever done.

Being new to towing a caravan, and if you have any doubts at all, then get a stabaliser just for peace of mind....especially if you'll have the family in with you...Smile

Ang x

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the posts.

I won't be doing the stabilizer yet.

I only drive at 50 or less without towing anything so my speed will be decreased somewhat.

I'm guessing this is going to be an experience. !!

How long have stabilizers been on the market then ?

What did people do before them ?

Notty
grantmidsummernight

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly the problems I see with sway are because people tow just too damn fast!

I keep my speed down below 60 when towing and it's usually fine, yes sometimes there can be a very mild sway, but at that speed it never gets nasty, whereas if you are going 60+ (I get passed by caravans doing 80!!!!!!!!!!) then it could get messy.

Keep the speed sensible and you're okay - and it never fails to amaze me the people who say "Oh I tow at 75 because my outfit's very stable - it's perfectly safe" - well no it bloomin isn't - in fact I think stabilisers are actually MORE dangerous as they lull people into a false sense of security thinking they can defy the laws of physics.
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I my experience the way the van is packed is as important as a stabilise..

Just think logically keep weight central and low and work out from the axle and up depending on weights.

I must admit I personally wouldn't tow without a stabiliser but it is a personal preference. I know if it were me, I'd rather pay out a little extra cash then potentially loose the van or worse.

My Delica Album
notty

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towed a dream all the way to Torquay and back

Never do over 50mph anyway so that had a lot to do with it.

Most of the vehicles that passed us ( the large ones - lorries etc ) didn't pass at great speed and we felt a little pulling when they passed but nothing that was worrying.

One lunatic came passed at about 70 !! ( a transit van and a caravan ) he did make us a wobble a little ) i HAD GREAT PLEASURE IN HONKING THE HORNA DN FLICKING THE FINGER )

I think the weight of the Deli fully laden with 2 adults, 2 kids,  1 gas 15kg gas bottle, a socket set, a 2.5 tonne trolley jack, clothes, food, extra fuel etc helped with weight distribution. The caravan I towed was 1.2 tonnes and it didn't feel as though it was on the back.

What I couldn't get used to was when coming off a roundabout, I wlaways looked into my rear view mirror and noticed a vehicle very close behind....it was MY caravan. Funny though......was cursing the driver at first to back off....but realised it wasn't worth cursing about....ol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: