Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Aiba Works Rack On Aero Roof L400

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comedybob
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 23:16    Post subject: Aiba Works Rack On Aero Roof L400 Reply with quote

Having noticed numerous posts/topics on roof racks I thought I might document my experience (early stages).

I've just aquired a Pajero full length Aiba rack off the bay of B*L*S**T and am quite pleased with it in terms of quality/build and the fact its stainless.  I was going to go for a thule 715 basket (£140) and thule pro 9511 feet and aero bars but only paid £120 for the aiba one - which i thought was reasonable for buy it now price.

It's to go on an aero L400 chamonix and I knew the feet would be to fat for the gutters so have had a look today and think the feet can be reasonably skimmed with a grinder (without weakening it too much) to fit in between the narrow gap between the pastic trim and the roof (why is this so narrow??? :? ).

Heres a photo of one of the feet fitted:

[img][/img]

You can see how the plastic trim bulges.

[img][/img]

Here you can see that the height of the base of the rack will be a bit high above the roof - something I want to avoid (all helps with the MPG Wink )

So tomorrow out with the grinder Rolling Eyes .

I figure I can reduce the squeeze by removing the red shaded area below (the dotted line would reduce the height but mean major mods to each of the clamp plates that sit on the outer side of the rain gutter)

[img][/img]

My alternative thoughts were to trim the gutters to fit around the foot to retain the integrity of the bracket but after reading a post that one side of trim (unpainted) cost +/-£300 notes  Shocked i thought......NO.  I suppose i could get a spare off a breaker and colour match so I have a spare set for when without rack (I want the choice to remove as and when). Incidently does anyone know how to remove the trim, it appears to be stuck on in parts with foam type double sided tape.

My other alternative if I find this doesn't work or a slip with the grinder Embarassed  is to get a local fabricator to make something like these i found on the web they look nice and sturdy and are for a low roof L400 (Delica us - I think).

[img][/img]

Will keep you updated but it might be slow progress - too many other things to do Rolling Eyes

Cheers

Bob
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 23:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

pitbull2001
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to let you know my roof crate i got from direct 4x4 makes all of the pasltic trim buldge out quite a lot. So thats normal.
Drooper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking that you have to be a bit careful when grinding Ali

NOTE: I would be very greatful if no one would post any pictures of my children anywhere,
I won't post pics of my kids or anyone elses so please do me the same courtesy. Thanks
safetyman73
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same brackets on my light bar that i have not fitted yet i also ground the bracket to make it fit. took out a little more than you are showing and they now fit well. Also don't let the ally get to hot when grinding it take it slow in short bursts.

Hth
    Eddie
comedybob
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drooper your right you do need to be careful grinding cast alloy.  There are stories of the ali accumulating and clogging the disc then people go to use it on steel and the fine powder can cause the disc to ignite /explode with the sparks created.

I have now fitted it and realised its actually the outer clamp brackets that pull the feet outwards upon tightening causing the trim to bulge.  I figure if you put a shallow angle on the outer bracket (stainless so no way I'd be able to do it) this will allow the foot to sit closer to the roof (hard to explain).  I don't have time to sort at the minute as we go on our hols soon but heres a pic or two of it fitted.  As you can see the height isn't too bad.

One note to point if you do fit one is that the runners on the rack itself are staggered to allow for the slope on the pajeros.  I didn't realise this and fitted it the wrong way around at first  Embarassed .

Heres what it looks like for now:

Heres a couple of before and afters of the feet:

Cheers

Bob
Maro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks GREAT!  I want exactly the same roof rack. Do you think it would fit on Delica with crystalite roof? tongue6 I'm green with envy  Wink
Drooper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one on the roof of mine but I had to make some spacers up for it cause it didn't quiet clear the back of the roof

NOTE: I would be very greatful if no one would post any pictures of my children anywhere,
I won't post pics of my kids or anyone elses so please do me the same courtesy. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: