4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

just wondered about first CB ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary2610

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 23:48    Post subject: just wondered about first CB ... Reply with quote

hi all just wanted to know if this is a okay set up for a newbe and what is a SWR meter and do you need one and what is it for
http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=1308
thanks gary  :?  :?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 23:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Disco_Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBs really are down to personal preference, but I can help with the SWR meter.

Yes you do need one, or at least you need to borrow one from a mate. Basically SWR is an indicator of how much of the power your radio is putting out is being radiated, or how much is being reflected back into the radio. A high SWR will mean that you are not getting the best range and can kill your radio. To avoid this, you adjust the aerial and check the SWR with the meter.

The meter is used by connecting it in line between the radio and aerial. Flick the switch on the meter to "FWD", select channel 19, and key the mic. The needle on the meter should move. Use the adjuster knob to place it on "Set", then release the mic. Now flick the switch to "REF" and key the mic again. The needle is now indicating your SWR. It must be under 3, and ideally as low as possible. Generally you should aim for around 1.5:1 or so. To adjust it, first try moving the aerial (if on a magnetic mounting) as the next phase involves cutting the aerial. I've not had to trim an aerial yet (thankfully!) but obviously this is a one-way process so try moving it first.

The 4x4CB people are a good bunch and will be more than willing to help you out if you call them for some advice before ordering. They should also be able to advise on how to SWR the aerial properly.
gary2610

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Disco_Matt for your help i will have to ring them and also can you run more then one aerial on the one cb
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checkout this link for info the Standing Wave Ratio:- http://www.firestik.com/Meas-SWR.htm

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Disco_Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run twin aerials, there are wiring harnesses available to do this. I've not tried it however, and I hear that they can be a swine to SWR properly.
gary2610

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Lewis and disco for your help i will read the link you have given me and see what way to go thanks again  :D
Disco_Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised there's a thread about running twin aerials in this section of the forum - look at the one about "co-phasing".

1996 LR Discovery 300TDI. It's an honourary Delica, or so I've been told!
m0jfk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:53    Post subject: What Antenna Reply with quote

Co-phasing is only any good if you’re a trucker and the aim of using dual antennas is to distort the signal or should I say make it most bias to the front of the cab, obviously a trucker needs to know what the road traffic is like further up the road so he will use the co phasing method and its distortion effect to project the strength of his transmitting signal forward and up the motorway.
Proper co phasing requires them (the two antennas) to be 21ft or more apart and if you see any vehicles that wide please can you send me the picture?...like I said it’s the distortion pattern of the radiated signal that makes them use this system when both antennas are placed only a couple of feet apart like that of a truck cabin if placed on say the mirrors.
okay you can put them on your 4x4 if you like the looks antennas all over yeah vehicle and it will work but you will get the same and better result if you just put your single antenna on the back of your 4x4 and  in my opinion is better than having two at the front and  at twice the cost to boot.

Last edited by m0jfk on Tue Oct 20, 2009 21:38; edited 3 times in total
gary2610

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you fou your reply mate i will take not of what you have said and also see what you are saying thanks again for your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: