Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Newer Delica's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmidsummernight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 18:28    Post subject: Newer Delica's Reply with quote

Hiya,

Why are most of the Delica's I see for sale about 1994/5 ???

I have just bought one, and it's great, I love it, and when the time comes to replace it, will there be anything to buy?? I don't see anything newer than mine for sale, and the very latest seems to have been downsized which rather defeats the object as I want something that will tow a big trailer.

When did they make the 95 style Delica up until and did it then go straight on to the D:5 style?

thanks

Grant
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 18:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Boozy nights

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically you won't really find anything newer than 10 years old, (but there are some out there) so the likes of 1998 / 99 versions are now becoming readily available if you mooch around (and the prices aint that bad really).. Aparantly this is due to the Japanese not keeping cars that are 10 years old due to the Government heaping mad taxes on cars over that age.
Or I could be wrong Laughing
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few more 98/99 models for sale about at dealers and stuff but the prices vary dramatically. We had a local dealer asking £7 for an R plate exceed low roof, which wasn't in particularly good nick and he has had it for almost 10 months now. You would have thought he may have realised his mistake by now.

My Delica Album
Mystery Machine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 20:41    Post subject: Re: Newer Delica's Reply with quote

grantmidsummernight wrote:
Hiya,

Why are most of the Delica's I see for sale about 1994/5 ???

The L400 was launched in 1994, so this is the first year they are available from. This also means that they are the oldest, and therefore, generally the cheapest, most 'accessible' L400 to buy.

Also factor in our SVA law which means any vehicle under 10yrs old is subject to a rigid and expensive SVA test. 2004/2005/2006 were the 'boom' years for Jap imports and it was far easier & cheaper for dealers to bring in/sell vehicles over ten years old. This meant that the majority were of the 94/95 model years which needed no SVA. As the market became flooded with Jap imports (most makes, not just Delica's) the value dropped across the board and profit margins became minimal. Import slowed down accordingly so less 'younger' vehicles were being brought in than previously.

This leaves the country with a mass of 94/95 Delica's and only a slow, steady but dwindling stream of more recent models coming into the country. The youngest models are not only more expensive to buy in Japan (due to being newer obviously) but the cost of then SVA'ing them meant prices remained high in comparison/relativity to the large volume of now 2nd/3rd hand 94/95 L400's that appear for sale privately. You can get 96-98 model L400's but by the time they were not SVA eligible, the demand was pretty much gone.

Way 'back then' the only place you were able to buy a Delica (L300 or L400) was at a dealer if you weren't prepared to import one yourself. The odd one or two came up privately, but the dealer was in a good position with the 'new' (to the UK) amazing vehicles. It's a different story now and many, many private individuals are selling theirs on after 3 to 4 years of ownership. These again are generally the glut that were brought in during the 'boom' times of grey imports. Having this range of much cheaper Delica's available has also had a big impact on the dealers, most of whom have gone bust or moved back to selling more conventional motors.

There are a lot more subtleties to it than that (e.g. some big importers going bust for 'other' reasons and affecting the supply to smaller dealers, the increased demand for L400's in Australia & NZ meaning less choice for us etc...) but the main gist of the story is hopefully covered here.... Wink

Darrel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky, I got a 97 facelift quite cheap last December

Do dyslexic zombies crave Brians?
primate1970
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed a lot more 2WD Deli's for sale on places like E-bay than there was over a year ago when I got mine....???

Nice to see them coming down in price tho as I have plans to sell my 2WD and get a "Propper" 4x4 Deli some time soon and get a little run around for commuting to work.!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its also worth noting that the Delica's are still being manufactured today, Mostly L300's, so even in the future you will still be able to buy them and even the current 'facelift' models, which are subject to the SVA test will in time be over 10 years old and thus only require a standard MOT on import.  

The main problem date will be when the 2001 models start to get imported as those and later models will be subject to the  higher Road Tax bands for CO2 usage!  :?

Production  of L300 and L400 (2007 figures not yet released):-

Year           Japan        Philippines    Taiwan     China
1995         109,930
1996           88,978
1997           69,495
1998           34,614
1999           17,758
2000           28,242           2,918           8,125
2001           12,965           2,079           5,133          690
2002           17,456           2,925           4,192          600
2003           13,011           3,529           5,166     13,710
2004           16,432           2,826           3,862     16,074
2005           16,444           3,685           2,315       5,960
2006           16,041           3,992           1,160

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read through these posts,where is this "R" plate for £7?

Ian.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "R" plate is in Ripley just off the A610 between the A38 and Codnor, Dealer is Lion Motor Group from memory.

My Delica Album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: