Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

6x9s GGRRRRMMMNNnnppphhhhsssplllxx!!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 20:47    Post subject: 6x9s GGRRRRMMMNNnnppphhhhsssplllxx!!!! Reply with quote

Knew I should've just fitted a band expander to the original radio!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

So, whilst waiting for the world to go back to work so I can swap the wiring harness adapter for my new head unit, decided to fit the Sony 6938 MkIIIs I bought a couple of days ago for £15 (40w/160w - should do the job - bargain!! Wink ).

Followed the post between Numptys numnuts and Taz regarding fitting. Pulled everything off that I could, undid several screws that didn't need undoing, couldn't work out how to get the whole panel off, so just pulled all back far enough to get at existing speaker screws with angled screwdriver.....
Oh look!! -
Evil or Very Mad 1. -Speaker wire connector on existing speakers different to new ones, BUM!! - doncha just love standardisation Evil or Very Mad
Evil or Very Mad 2. - New speaker deeper than existing, will only connect with magnet rammed up against bodyshell, BUM!!
Evil or Very Mad 3. - Plastic surround on new speakers not wide enough for heads of screws from existing speakers. New speakers screws too long for bracket, hit bodywork, BUM!! - Take plastic surround off, screws now fit but looks like plastic surround probably keeps cone attached, so needs to go back on....double sided sticky tape please!!

If you're thinking about swapping your 6x9s, keep the above in mind....

As it's the last day of my sons Christmas hols, we went down to play on the beach this afternoon, which was most enjoyable, so leaving problems to be resolved tomorrow a.m. ......p.m. ......Wednesday.....?...???

Solutions, (hopefully)
Laughing 1. - Either squeeze existing connectors onto new speaker terminals (potentially dodgy) - or re-terminate wires with correct connectors.
Laughing 2. - put 'spacers' between speaker surround and brackets to move magnets off bodywork. Problem - don't know how much space is needed and if this will impact on refixing covers. Thinking of nuts which should give me about 5mil.
Laughing 3. - stick surround on and either buy new shorter screws with smaller heads or see if 'nut spacers' makes sufficient difference......

I will keep y'all posted of dynamic daves Deli progress and any advice re: space needed between back of speaker magnet and bodywork gratefully accepted....

Also, regarding statement between Taz & Numpty about magnets / metallic paintwork not mixing...what's all that about then ??

Cheers and apologies for me length Shocked

Dave.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 20:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, so now got one shoehorned in after a bit of huffin 'n' puffin...

Changed speaker wire terminators to match new speakers.
Used nuts as spacers to move magnet off bodywork, worked a treat..also stuck some sound deadening sheet to bodywork behind magnet.
Used combination of screws to secure speaker into bracket.....
Then came to replacing interior panels Rolling Eyes my, they are a tight fit and they are pushed hard against the edge of the speaker (quite usefully holding the edge on that I'd pulled off earlier Wink )....

Never having changed 6x9s before and never having tried to shoehorn speakers that are too large into a small space, I think it'll be interesting to see what effect it has on the sound when I finally get the headunit connected and running...Can't help thinking I'm bound to end up with an irritating constant buzz from where the panels making contact with the speaker...we shall see...

Then started to change second one. This is the one on the rear offside....I never thought about it, but because there ain't no sliding door on that side, the internal panel goes all the way through to the drivers door... Anyway, got quite far but finally ran out of daylight at 1700 and had to call it a day. Will finish off tomorrow

Cheers,

Dave.

p.s. - just noticed speakers marked L & R....does it make any difference if you get 'em the wrong way around ?...i.e. what charcteristics will cause problems? <Ahem!> Embarassed
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

mythatsabigun wrote:
just noticed speakers marked L & R....does it make any difference if you get 'em the wrong way around ?...i.e. what charcteristics will cause problems? <Ahem!> Embarassed

Not seen this on speakers before :? Can't see how it will make any difference at all :? :?
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a Happy New Year now, Thanks 'Beat :D ..

Anyone want to throw any warnings my way now before I go and buy some speakers for the front doors ?....anything I should watch out for or be aware of ?....

and if my head unit is rated at 4x50w does that mean I can stick 4 speakers in rated around 50w (i.e., 40w okay but 50w would be better)...and is max power 160w on the speaker referring to a peak of 160w that can be handled by the speaker, although it's a, say for example, 40w speaker ?

It's gradually occurring to me that car stereo is a 'dark art' to me and no matter how much I read/hear/discuss it, it doesn't make any more sense to me .

Cheers,

Dave.

-off to purchase some door speakers Twisted Evil
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after my last post I rushed out and bought some Sony XSF 1731s.

Apparently these are 30w / 180w, so I've now got headunit 4x50w, 2 x 6x9s @40w/160w and 2 x 6.5" 3-ways@30w/180w...

Am I likely to blow the speakers if I crank up the volume on the headunit ?...or should they handle it because of the max power figure ?...

Managed to squeeze the second 6x9 in this a.m. and it only cost me a couple of grazed knuckles and bruised finger bones extra :D ....

Hopefully wiring loom adapter and door speakers should be here tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm at work all day tomorrow and then Friday morning, so probably not going to be able to complete install until Friday p.m. Crying or Very sad ....
So, in the meantime, any comments about the combination, power-wise, the Sony XSF1731s or installation of 6.5" door speakers would be most gratefully received.

Cheers,

Dave.

p.s. - Already created 2 x mp3 CDs with a total of 23 albums on...(ooh-oooh, can't wait!! - better bl**dy work Twisted Evil )
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, think I might have found the answer to this myself...possibly....
So here it is for any interested parties who are complete novices to this as like wot I am Shocked

http://www.carstereo.com/rayfes/power.cfm

I particularly like the bit that says.....
Quote:
As for matching power ratings between speakers and amplifiers, it is not necessary. Most speakers can accept clean input power in huge amounts before destroying themselves. Any quality amp that can produce enough power for your loudness expectations should work fine. The only advantage a 200 watt amp holds over a 100 watt (of the same design) is the ability to play 3 dB louder.

Dave..... Twisted Evil
-Crewzin-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

got two dents in my rear panels! just worked out it is because someone has shoe horned two massive 6X9's in there. be warned!

Gordon.
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough...that was how I ended up with the sound deadening sheet behind the magnets. I was talking about the effect of the magnets on the bodywork and he recommended sticking this stuff on the body panel. It reduces the magnetic effect considerably and is only about a mil or two thick. I tested it by using the screws that kept sticking to the magnet while I had it out, directly onto the magnet, then through the sheet. It seemed to have a significant effect and will hopefully protect the bodywork.....

Cheers,

Dave.
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

mythatsabigun wrote:
If my head unit is rated at 4x50w does that mean I can stick 4 speakers in rated around 50w (i.e., 40w okay but 50w would be better)...and is max power 160w on the speaker referring to a peak of 160w that can be handled by the speaker, although it's a, say for example, 40w speaker ?

Sounds like you've already sortted it alright Wink
On amp outputs and speaker inputs it alway worth noting the RMS Watt ratings as this is the true rating.
Amps in head units are alright but a bit generous on the figures of there output ratings Rolling Eyes

Good luck with the instal Wink
Just trying to help
;)
Mutley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

So help out a Stereo-phobe newbie here then...I've fitted an Alpine MP3 headunit that has V-Amp [4x60W] output...does this mean I can get away with say 100W speakers..?? Cause I've been looking and some 150W speakers still only have a RMS of about 30-40W..?? Now i've shelled out a bit on the unit [cause I reckon its worth it... Laughing ], and do not want to go through the hassle of fittin' new speakers only to blow the bloody things straight away...[music tastes=Rammstein, Rancid, The Transplants, Green Day, Anti-Nowhere league, etc...]...HELP... Shocked :? Laughing
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chance of getting 4 x 60 Watt output from a headunit amp is slim, even tho' it says it on the tin Wink even with a quality Alpine headunit :?

The chance of you blowing the speakers is very slim because, by the time your near the max volume of the headunit the sound quality would have gone and you'ld have turn it down anyway. Thats not saying it won't go loud Wink
It also depends on the make of the speakers, some speaker are rated low but play a lot higher than rated at.

Basically....if the speaker are lower rated than the headunit output just be a bit Cautious when cranking it up and if it distorts turn it down Shocked

Reading back through my comments I am in no way saying that headunit amps are no good Shocked just the output rating are a little off mark Rolling Eyes
Just trying to help
;)
dom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also bear in mind how you set your graphic or EQ up if you have
one on the headunit. Boosting the bass loads can easily kill speakers
that are of similar rating to the amp purely by the size of the increased
bass transients.

If you want to use the EQ or graphic on your head unit my top tip is
cut don't boost. If you want more bass cut the treble and you have
more bass without boosting the level of bass the speakers have to
deal with.

If you have a graphic EQ then between 300-400Hz is the 'mud' zone.
Cutting here makes the sound more defined and less, err, muddy.

I'll leave it at that for now, but if anybody wants to know more about
speakers, amps, frequency response and EQ then just ask I can talk
for days about it
Laughing Laughing Embarassed

Dom
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

dom wrote:
If you want more bass cut the treble and you have
more bass without boosting the level of bass the speakers have to
deal with.

Or get a nice big amp and sub Shocked Laughing
Yer, as dom said, its the bass that kills the speaker Shocked
Just trying to help
;)
dom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldskool Beat wrote:

Or get a nice big amp and sub Shocked Laughing

Or you could always do that. I'd love to fit one of these beasts into
my Deli http://www.funktion-one.com/minibass.htm but it would be at the
sacrifice of the rear seats Shocked And would probably also rattle my baby
to bits!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Dom
Mutley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

My head-unit has its own Sub control...so I'm lookin' into fittin' one[or two... Wink ] of those too...but its mountin' 'em in such a way that they do not affect the carryin' abilities of the wagon...in other words NO bloody great boxes in the back...need something subtle... Laughing Laughing
umbelago

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 18:51    Post subject: He HE Reply with quote

just had a new cd radio fitted, I'm no music buff, but sounds great, took old radio cd combi out re wired fitted 120 pounds. looks good sounds good. :D :D :D
Marcus Bloke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtle and SUBS a phrase thats not often used together in ICE . Laughing

Chunkey monkey
Worx monkey
Twice the fun !
Mantained & Modded By SVS 01202821222
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay!!!...it's done.
Head unit in, fascia adapter in. All nice and secure. Use the existing (almost) triangular bracket that holds the original doubble din unit in to secure the new headunit. Don't bother with the headunit adapter that comes with the headunit. The triangular bracket appears to be ISO standard and has holes in the right places to allow screws to be used, both into the adapter and headunit directly, so it's all nice and secure :D

6x9s in the back don't vibrate against the bodywork too much until they're distorting too much anyway.
6.5" for the front door haven't turned up yet, but should be early next week. There's already a really nice sound coming out of the existing door speakers, so can't wait for the Sonys :D :D

MP3 !?!...what a brilliant idea. Got 23 albums on 2 CDs, saves with all that mucking about swapping CDs / tapes / whatever....
and I have to say, the Sony CDX3300 does seem good quality and VFM...very pleased :D :D :D

Problem now is, I cycle to work as it's only a short distance and its good for me, the environment and my wallet....however, now I've got the radio sorted....it's going to be...difficult...not to give into the temptation. especially with all this bad weather we've been having of late Wink

Cheers,

Dave

...at work at 0700 in the a.m....by hook or by Delica
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right!!!...Job done :D
6.5" front door Sonys turned up today, fitted 'em in just over an hour all in. Sound great.

Getting to the front speakers is no great problem. Prize inner door cover off from bottom of panel. Pull off up either side until up to upper section. Disconnect door light with a bit of gentle persuasion. Crawl inbetween door and panel, undo 4 x screws holding speaker grill in. This then allows you to work through the panel, directly onto the speakers.
The existing speaker cable is short. I found that by the time I'd reterminated it and put the Sonys in, I had to drill new holes in the plastic mounting to screw the speakers onto, but with the speakers at a slight angle, so that the wires would reach the terminals. As the Sonys are slightly smaller than the original speakers, I'd have had to drill new holes anyway, so no great shakes.
Reinstall speaker grill and hammer cover back onto door. Switch on and you're away Razz Razz Razz

Cheers,

Dave.
<1 Twisted Evil bunny :D >

I now declare this thread closed and hope some of the information may have been useful to someone, somewhere.....might post piccie after installing new console later in week Wink
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and here's the piccie of the new headunit and DIN adapter along with nice new shiny console that finally arrived today.....

Job done :D :D :D

Question Question A virtual fiver to the first person to identify the artist and track being played on the headunit at the time of the photo being taken. Question Question

Cheers,

Dave.

p.s. - Also note clock working :D Thanks Rusty (I think it was anyway Wink )...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: