4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Top Tint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soopahfly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 13:13    Post subject: Top Tint Reply with quote

My green top tint on the front screen is in a real state. Half peeled off and split, so I bought a new black to clear fade one.
Anyone got any tips as to how to fit it properly?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 13:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

leeandeb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a spray bottle with soap and water in it, and then use a window cleaner  squidgey to smooth it onto them window.
the soap and water helps you to move it and re-position if wrong
4X4'S WORKING WITH THE EMERGENCY SERVICES
Devon Mafia
kenr1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 19:12    Post subject: Re: Top Tint Reply with quote

soopahfly wrote:
My green top tint on the front screen is in a real state. Half peeled off and split, so I bought a new black to clear fade one.
Anyone got any tips as to how to fit it properly?

Sure  :D   Top tip, get some one who knows what to do to fit it  :D

I had to shrink mine to get it to fit (used 05% limo tint) as the Delica like most cars has a curve to the windscreen. If you don't know what you are doing don't try and heat shrink on the windscreen due to it being laminated.

If you have to try clean the out side of the screen (spotless) then  as said a 1L spray bottle with half tea spoon of baby shampoo. Wet the top of the screen and lay your tint down liner side up, make sure you measure down each side of the screen so you have the sides the same.  Use a wax crayon for this and make sure you can see these marks from the inside on the car, you will need them when you fit the tint inside.

Squidgey the tint down from the middle out to each side, this is where you will see you are wasting your time  :D as you will not be able to get rid of the fingers that pop up along the edge's. I WILL NOT EVEN TRY TO TELL YOU HOW TO HEAT SHRINK THE TINT TO GET RID OF THESE FINGERS DUE TO THE PLASTIC IN THE GLASS AND THE CHANCE OF MELTING IT, SORRY.

Cut the tint to the size and shape you want making sure its even all the way  Shocked at this point you will need to clean the side windows of the Delica and the wet them, lift the tint from the screen and stick it to the side windows again liner side up again.

So if you still want to go further clean the inside of the screen (spotless again) and peel the liner from tint, with two people try and get the tint on to the inside of the screen  Shocked
Get the tint in place using the two marks on the out side of the screen,Then squidgey again from the middle out. As you are pushing out the water this is where the tint will crease on you due to the fingers and it all goes t*ts up.

There is a pic of how it should look in my garage pictures, look for 05% visor  :D

So good luck and have fun  :D
Ken
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suerly offering a bit of guidence on how to heat shrink tint is better than saying its top secret.... ?

I need to re-do my rear window and that needs shrinking to fit....

If we know it needs shrinking and head off with a heat gun with no advice we are more likely to damage the laminate...

besides... it must take a lot of heat to damage the windscreen !! more than it takes to shrink the tint ???

Since your a tinter all info would be appreciated....

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/16172_vehicle-tint-shrink.htm for a start ??
kenr1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmm,
No never said it was top secret did I,
He was asking how to do a visor on his widscreen, when shrinking rear windows most of the heat will be at the edge of the window. When fitting a visor you will be shrinking some where around the eye line of the driver, it does not take a lot of direct heat to damage the thin plastic film in laminated glass, so if some one wants to go and learn heat shrinking on a windscreen for the fist time I'm having nothing to do with it.

As you can imagine I see a lot of DIY tint jobs and it still makes me laugh at how much money they have wasted trying to do it, for a little more it could have been done right the first time.

I will answer any questions on tinting but as I have found out in the past its near impossible to teach shrinking through text.
The link to the clips are not the best (well they are s**t  :D ) I can look up some better ones if needed, But shrinking is one of those things you will not get right the first time even if you watched tinting all day.

Ken
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenr1 wrote:
mmmmmm,
No never said it was top secret did I,
He was asking how to do a visor on his widscreen, when shrinking rear windows most of the heat will be at the edge of the window. When fitting a visor you will be shrinking some where around the eye line of the driver, it does not take a lot of direct heat to damage the thin plastic film in laminated glass, so if some one wants to go and learn heat shrinking on a windscreen for the fist time I'm having nothing to do with it.

As you can imagine I see a lot of DIY tint jobs and it still makes me laugh at how much money they have wasted trying to do it, for a little more it could have been done right the first time.

I will answer any questions on tinting but as I have found out in the past its near impossible to teach shrinking through text.
The link to the clips are not the best (well they are s**t  :D ) I can look up some better ones if needed, But shrinking is one of those things you will not get right the first time even if you watched tinting all day.

Ken

Fair comment on not right first time.....
Maybe up your way you do good prices ( I have heard good things about your work) but round here I was quoted £300 !!

I got my own tint for £45 and had some tint left over....

And some of the £300+ tint jobs I have seen.... mine was better... its not perfect and yes I would like a professional job done but @ £300.... I'll settle on my job...
leeandeb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did all my car, yes agree ! you get better as the more you do, last few windows where good 1st 2 not so...lol...

i also could not aford £££'S + to do the job, i was quoted £200 just to do the back window on my jag !!
i did the side ones myself, an yes i also did the back 1 in the end. it was a blow  ( falling off,  think due to damp ? in boot ? ) to  do but i kept going with it.

kenr1 thats safe advice but how about this idea Idea
how about at the next meet up near you or have a meet at yours ( advise day ), you could do a demonstration in tinting so people have an idea how NOT to damage there windows.
Lets face it in todays economic climate, most Can't keep up on service's not to mention goodys......

4X4'S WORKING WITH THE EMERGENCY SERVICES
Devon Mafia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: