4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Wind up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swizZer
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Stacksteads (near Bacup), Lancashire (where the sun never shines and the rain always rains)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:38    Post subject: Wind up? Reply with quote

What on earth is axle wind up? I've seen it mentioned on the forum a few times but don't have a clue what it means Rolling Eyes

Can it affect all Deli's, or just L400's or just L300's and what can be done to avoid it happening in the 1st place?

Any info appreciated :D

Cheers

Paul
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far as I know its when you have the diff locks in and one wheel on the axle is trying to turn at a different speed to the other,cornering or one wheel losing traction.
Only use diff locks if you have them and are really bogged in!!

Ian.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
soopahfly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty much it.
When you have the diff lock on, all the wheels must turn at the same speed.  When you are cornering the inside wheel turns slower and will cause a loud bang as the diff tries to turn it.

At least thats what happens in the Hilux.
swizZer
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Stacksteads (near Bacup), Lancashire (where the sun never shines and the rain always rains)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys so i take it that it won't affect L300 owners then as we don't have diff locks!  Wink
grasshole (RIP)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swizzer mate, you can't use 4WD on metalled roads, only grass snow sand mud situations where traction is lacking otherwise you'll wreck the Deli :?
swizZer
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

grasshole wrote:
Swizzer mate, you can't use 4WD on metalled roads, only grass snow sand mud situations where traction is lacking otherwise you'll wreck the Deli :?

yeah mate i knew that one already! the only time i have used it was on the beach near porthmadog Wink
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

swizZer wrote:
cheers guys so i take it that it won't affect L300 owners then as we don't have diff locks!  Wink

well effectively when you are in 4WD you have engaged a centre diff lock.....
swizZer
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

i stand corrected then mark! :D
Mike Salt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean that 4WD can't be used on a normal road at any time, or that the diff lock can't be used except off road ?
Drooper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

4WD can be used at anytime off road or on but the diff lock should only be used when there is a real lack of traction and not on road for general use it will do damage.

Only thing is you may find an increase in your fuel consumption when running in 4WD. Wink

NOTE: I would be very greatful if no one would post any pictures of my children anywhere,
I won't post pics of my kids or anyone elses so please do me the same courtesy. Thanks
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that an L400 has a centre diff with a diff lock you can turn on and off. So you can run in 4WD on tarmac without the difflock and not cause damage

The L300 has a transfer box which when you put it in 4WD effectively gives you front to back diff lock. So you could go in a straight line on tarmac, but as soon as you corner and the wheel speeds are different, something has to give - either the tyres scrub and slip (which is okay on snow/mud etc), or the transfer box pops!

On the L300 you can leave the front hubs locked (while in 2WD mode)  - all this does is leave the drive shafts and front diff connected to the wheels(and wastes fuel because you're turning it all for no reason), but it is handy if you are on and off of mud/tarmac - just go from 4WD to 2WD and back as required.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an L300.
Surely if you have front and rear diffs putting the transfer box into 4WD will not affect the operation of the diffs and therfore the wheels can turn at different speeds with no ill effect.

Ian.

Flying Brick Supporter.
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fostlongstrider wrote:
On an L300.
Surely if you have front and rear diffs putting the transfer box into 4WD will not affect the operation of the diffs and therfore the wheels can turn at different speeds with no ill effect.

Ian.

er... no

if you look at the wheels on a vehicle going around a bend all 4 spin at different speeds...
so sooner or later you will get wind up....

one of the revolutionary things about the Audi Quattro was Audi cracked the problem of compact 4 wheel drive suitable for a car...

previously Land Rover had done it in the Range Rover but that was a open Diff.... Audi used a Torsen or was it a LSD centre diff ??

all permanant 4x4 vehicles have to have either a Open or Viscous centre diff... a locked diff as found on the L300 or Series Land Rovers is no good for hard surface as it winds up....ie... the front left and right wheels spin at different speeds, the rear left and right spin at different speeds and the forces these to axles produce means that the front and rear prop shaft spin at different speeds....

so if the front and rear prop shaft spin at different speeds some thing has to give...

1) use an open diff - as Land Rover has done in the original Range Rover etc, this will allow the 2 props to spin at different speeds

2) Use a LSD, Viscous or Torsen centre diff.... all will allow a certain amount of different prop speed

3) Use a locked diff.... e.g. found in a L300 the force on the centre locked diff will either cause the diff to fail or the force has to go some were else.. e.g. Tryes squeel and loose traction, that relives the pressure on the diff.
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've lost me,the front and rear props turn at the same speed,all the transfer box does is couple the drive to the front wheels as well as the rear wheels,no differential there.
I shall have to go and read up on this as I don't see the problem as surely the front and rear diffs cope with the difference in wheel speed.

Ian.

Flying Brick Supporter.
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

trust me the props do not spin at the same speed, especially on a tight corner...

you will find that some vehicles e.g. Fiat Panda 4x4 from the 90's actualy warn against high speed full lock as the transmission can not take it...

I do see why you don't see it straight off... but thats why Series land rovers can not be driven in 4WD all the time they have open front and rear diff.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

difflock windup

I think you will find 'wind up' relates to the difference between the front wheels speed of rotation compared to that of the rear wheels when the difflock is engaged, not the difference in the rotational difference of wheels on the same axle.  

Even small differences in rotational speed between the front and rear wheels cause a torque to be applied across the transmission. It is that force that is  known as "wind-up", which causes damage to the transmission or drive train. On loose surfaces these differences are absorbed by the tyre slippage on the road surface.

The L400 transfer case incorporates a center differential that allows the drive shafts to spin at different speeds. This lets it drive on paved surfaces without experiencing "wind-up", unlike the L300. However when the L400 Centre diff is locked both front and rear sets of wheels are made to rotate at the same speed, which is then the same as the L300.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

NB: The L400 has a viscouse centre diff to allow 4WD use on road.

For more info on the Viscous diff see THIS THREAD HERE

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Bob Ellison
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

As wot Mark and Lewis said!  Razz

I had a MK1 Paj (same set-up as the L300) and could only use 4WD in snow, mud, very wet grass, or loose gravel. Using 4WD on dry tarmac will eventually knacker an L300's transmission.

The Paj had a LSD on the rear and in 4WD the front wheels would 'unwind' when cornering and you had to watch for the 'slip'. If you were too aggressive/fast on the cornering the Paj would unwind, skid and keep going in a straight line. It did add to the fun but not funny when there's a ditch in the way.  Shocked

:D
MDOCUK LTM No 101
POCUK LTM No 19
BEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VCU on the L400's functions like an LSD in the centre diff (open) when in AWD (what is often called 4WD).There is no wind up possible in this situation.
But the L300 4WD is like L400 4WD locked and will cause wind-up between the now joined (locked) front and rear wheels.
jennysteve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you bear what a simple explanation. Laughing don't get wind up in the first place or it could cost you some money. Shocked

MUSTAVIT ! AND JEN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: