4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Drying Carpets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 16:57    Post subject: Drying Carpets Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

at some point over the last week 2 litres of water which I keep in the Deli in case of cooling emergencies, found its' way from the squash bottle where it usually lives, to the mats, carpets, wheel arch covers and the underlying foam Crying or Very sad . I had noticed a slightly "foosty" smell over the last couple of days but had put it down to a pair of boots which were in the beasty Embarassed ! It wasn't until this morning when the smell was truly awful I decided to investigate further and that was when I discovered the empty squash bottle...... Mad  Mad  Mad .
To say I'm impressed at the absorbant qualities of the carpets is a bit of an understatement! I'm also surprised at how heavy captains' seats are!

So, having removed the aforementioned seats, carpets, etc, how on earth do I dry them and remove the terrible smell :? ?

do I hang everything up and leave them, then apply several bottles of "Febreze", or is there any other way doing it?

Any (sensible Wink ) suggestions welcome, as were hoping to get away with the caravan this weekend and I'm sure the kids won't be too happy cargo - strapped to the roof of the Deli!

Cheers,

John.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 16:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

safetyman73
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

John
      I had the same issue a few months back i had to wash mine due to the dog vomiting in the back. i let them drip dry in the garage for 24hrs then i went to my local laundrette they have some jumbo tumble driers i put them in there don't fold it roll it up and put it in the drum then unroll so it goes round the drum. i then put them on a low heat and waited. 3hrs later and £30 they were dry and smelling fresh.

You may get away with the tumble drier and some of those smelly drier sheets but mine had to be washed due to the vomit from the dog.

HTH
     Eddie
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I have jet washed carpets with the karcher... (works a treat ! very good results)

then let it dry on the line !
Mystery Machine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

When all the carpets in the Mystery Machine were submerged and soaked in sewage contaminated water after helping out in the floods last year, I hired a professional/industrial carpet cleaner for a day (they actually refunded me the money when they heard why I needed it and what the motor had been used for!!) and I gave the carpets a good deep clean/disinfect/wash out 'in-situ' because the front section of carpet can't be removed without disconnecting the cool box from the AC system! Within hours of leaving the floods the interior was smelling pretty rank (aka made me feel sick with the stench!) and I thought I was going to have to bin the complete interior - carpets, seats, side panels & mats because the water got onto all of them! Luckily the carpet cleaner worked wonders.... :D

You won't need to do this part because yours is clean spilt water.

In order to then dry them out I just put a de-humidifier in there and closed the doors/windows. I'd leave it running overnight, remove it in the morning to use the motor for driving around in during the day and put it back in again that evening/ovenight.

Within four days/nights the carpets (and felt underlay) were completely dry and no nasty damp smells.

I happened to have a de-humidifier in the garage anyway, but if you ask around, someone you know has probably got one you can borrow. They really do work a treat! I must have emptied about 15 litres of water out of the drain tank over the four days! The carpets were bone dry by the end.

Best of luck,

Bruce.

JWD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the excellent replies guys, much appreciated Smile !

As things stand, the carpets and foam underlay are hanging in my dads' garage and are dry to the touch.

Not sure what reaction I'd get from the local laundrette, so I'll hang fire on that one, cheers Eddie Laughing !

Unfortunately the weather up here has been absolutely pants this week, so trying to dry things outside has been a non starter. My dad seems to think they're stinking out his garage, but I can't smell anything - maybe I'm becoming immune to the smell Shocked .

The intention is to re-fit them tomorrow, but as I'm due offshore again on Tuesday, they may have to removed again if they still smell and I'll have to try something else when I get home.

Cheers,

John.
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife told me that putting bicarbonate of soda ( cooking stuff ) onto a carpet area with a bad smell will get rid of it..

We have tried it when the kids have spilt milk etc and found it works wonders.

My Delica Album
JWD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip there Chris, will defo remember it for the future if I need it Wink !

It just makes you think though; who the heck first thought of pouring bicarb on a smelly carpet :? ?

I actually fitted everything back in this morning, so we'll see if the smell comes back over the next couple of days.

Cheers,

John.
chrisfoster1971
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was that pair of women kim and agy that mentioned it one time so she has just told me...

She is now digging out another something to do with lavender and another home baking powder.

My Delica Album
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/utilityroom/cleantips.htm

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: