Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 gearbox??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxigaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:53    Post subject: L300 gearbox?? Reply with quote

hello guys,
i'm new to this forum, and find lots of interesting infos for my newly bought van.(1987 Delica)
So here's my question: each time i speak about the L300, people just shake their heads saying "ooooohhhhh my poor guy, why did you buy this, the gearbox are so miserable".
so well , makes me wonder if my choice was good.
the van has 120000 km, and so far seems to drive well.
is the gearbox really an issue on those vans? how many of you had a problem, and if , at what km?
i checked the oil, it seems perfectly clear, but will do a change. I chose a GL4 type.
thanks for your info
cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

motorang

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:14    Post subject: Re: L300 gearbox?? Reply with quote

maxigaz wrote:
hello guys,
i'm new to this forum, and find lots of interesting infos for my newly bought van.(1987 Delica)
So here's my question: each time i speak about the L300, people just shake their heads saying "ooooohhhhh my poor guy, why did you buy this, the gearbox are so miserable".
so well , makes me wonder if my choice was good.
the van has 120000 km, and so far seems to drive well.
is the gearbox really an issue on those vans? how many of you had a problem, and if , at what km?
i checked the oil, it seems perfectly clear, but will do a change. I chose a GL4 type.
thanks for your info
cheers

In the german-speaking forum ( http://www.4x4travel.org/phpBB2/index.php ) there IS a history of gearbox breakdowns on the V5M21/KM145-B manual 5-speed.

That is (they say) because it is originally a 4-speed-box where a fifth gear was added later. So 4th gear is direct, 5th gear (with the highest load on the gearbox) is using the auxiliary shaft.
Usually the bearings of that auxiliary shaft go bang at 200.000 km or later - especially when the clutch is being replaced without replacing the bearing in the flywheel - its a MUST to replace that. Otherwise the shaft will get extra play in the long run, which will destroy the bearings in the gearbox plus the gearbox housing. A guy in above forum needed 3 gearboxes to find out that not the box itself is the problem, but that bearing in the flywheel (which is a kind of external gearbox bearing).

If all gears exept the 4th gear are noisy, especially 3rd and 5th, it is definitly time to have a good look to prevent damage ...

Unfortunately, as the transmission ratio is very short, you drive a lot in 5th gear, especially on highways, to keep the motor revving low. Which will ruin the gearbox faster if you let the engine work in 5th. On any ascent or acceleration I use 4th gear to reduce the load on the gearbox.

The V5M21/KM145-B was (to my knowledge) used in:

Pajero 2.6 petrol,
Hyundai H100, H1 2.5D and TD,
L200 Diesel und maybe TD,
Pajero 2.8 Diesel,
L200 2.4 Petrol,
Pajero 2.4 Petrol,
Galloper TD,
Galloper Diesel,
L040 TD,
Galloper 2.6 Petrol,
L400 2,5D und 2.5TD.

All TDI models (I = Intercooler) have a more modern  gearbox.

Unfortunately the L300 has a special gearbox housing, as it is a forward control design. So if you need a complete gearbox they are rare and expensive, and can not be used from other models. Its either this 5speed manual, or the auto box ...
The innards of all the V5M21/KM145-B gearboxes should be the same from the above model list.

One important topic is the right oil for that gearbox.

Mitsubishi recommended Veedol MTF 18-2 in the beginning to make the gearshifts easier (thea were hard to handle in the beginning) - but that one seems to be too thin and gearboxes using this type of oil wear out quickly.

Hyundai (using the same gearbox in some models) says you should use Castrol SMX-S 75W85 GL 4. (which is a very good full sythetic gearbox oil for approc. 12 Euro/litre).
After having a few years of experience with that gearbox, they should know ...

Other full sythetic gearbox oils with that spec 75W90 GL4 or GL4+ should be okay as well
(e.g. Motorex Unisynth SF 75W85 GL4 or Shell Spirax GSX 75W80)

Castrol TAFX 75W90 is a more modern brand of the Veedol MTF 18-2 type, but it is GL4-5 - NEVER! use a GL-5 type oil in thet gearbox as it will ruin the synchronizer rings.

Hope that helps,

Andy
(with 202.500 km on the very same gearbox)
maxigaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks andy, this is a very good info.
so that sounds like the problem we have on the vw t3 syncro, with a lubrication problem to the 4th gear.
but my T3 gearbox never broke!
i just bought some GL4 oil, valvoline 75w85 synthetic.
in the event of a breakdown, is the automatic any better, and will a retrofit to the existing transfer box be doable?
i'll check right away the german forum.
vielen dank
stef
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has a manual 5-speed box and all is going well after 20 years and 260,000 kms. So far (I hope I don't talk too soon).

Thank you for the information about the clutch change - very useful.

Quote:
Unfortunately the L300 has a special gearbox housing, as it is a forward control design. So if you need a complete gearbox they are rare and expensive, and can not be used from other models.

Can the box from a hyundai H100 be used? - its a development of the L300 with the same layout.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
motorang

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkPig wrote:
Can the box from a hyundai H100 be used? - its a development of the L300 with the same layout.

Honestly, I don't know. But I will ask.

Unfortunately, not many Hyunday owners populate the 4x4travel.org forum ... I thought the H100 is a L400 layout?

Andy
motorang

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxigaz wrote:

i'll check right away the german forum.
vielen dank
stef

okay,
look for users hendrik and Crazy.max
and for threads with "neverending story" in the title ...

Most of above informations are from Hendrik who blew up the gearbox of his Gallopper ...

Andy
Mystery Machine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Some GREAT info on your website. It's nice to see someone recording all their info about L300's. Great work and a credit to you.  :D

Just for info, the Hyundai H100 is based on the L300 van in both LWB and SWB format - complete with t 2.5td engine and although most were manual transmission, the majority (if not all) had column shift instead of the floor mounted shifters we have. I'm not too sure if that makes any difference??

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just doing some reading up as I've destroyed my manual box - and you've hit all the nails on the head there!
Front bearing and oil seal seem to have gone, dropping all the oil, eventually the thrust bearing popped too so lost the clutch arm.
280,000km on the box.

All preventable, if I'd been nearer home and able to take it off the road at first sign of trouble (oil leak and rattle), or willing to give up on a family holiday and get recovered back.
However decided to cook the box and carry on for another few hundred kilometres and sacrifice the box.

I'll report the findings when it comes off at the weekend

Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine down here is a 5 speed manual and I have 238,000 kms on the clock,gearbox is sweet as a nut
with no noise and smooth changes,but then I don't hammer the old girl as I have a healthy respect for her and realise spares are even rarer here.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually have enough respect to stop and find out what's falling off and fix it straight away - just happened to be somewhere down france at the time and really didn't want the hassle of taking it off the road for a week mid trip.
Luckily these things are fairly well built in the first place so it got us home (I cleared just under a 1000miles from first sign of oil leak, mostly at 80+mph).

However - it has been completely hammered by us for the last six years, so no surprise it gave way eventually!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: