Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

EGR problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooks

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 19:23    Post subject: EGR problems Reply with quote

Hello All

Hope you may be able to help,  i bought my Delica 2 months ago and have read all the posts on the ERG section and thought i would remove the blanking plate which the previous owner had installed to pass MOT emissions test after failing on emissions.  ( it did then pass)

The vehicle has always had a bit of black smoke when staring now its worse and when excelerating there is black smoke when none before.  The valve is working and performance is a small bit better but concerned about the amount of black smoke.

don't really know where to begin when trying to solve this fault, perhaps its a problem else were,  also just put in a injector cleaner and will hope this makes a difference.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

James.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 19:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black smoke indicates there is unburnt diesel fuel in the mix.  This could be due to overfueling / incorrectly set injectors.

Try using some injector cleaner in your fuel tank and also consider cleaning up the EGR valve and intercooler pipes, as per my other post in this section, which you have probably already seen, located here:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15394

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
tttonyyy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James, there are a couple of possibilities regarding EGR related black smoke, both to do with exhaust gas getting through to the inlet when the engine is under load.

First off, as Lewis suggests, the EGR may be stuck open slightly on crud, so a clean is well worthwhile.

Secondly, the ECU may be holding the EGR open too long when the engine is revved, also allowing exhaust gas through.

The ECU uses the Throttle Position Sensor to determine when to close the EGR, and if the TPS is faulty or the hot idle voltage set too low, the EGR will remain open too long.

Here's what I would do:

Pop the vacuum pipe off the EGR valve and block with a screw.  If the smoke goes away, you know the EGR valve is fine and doesn't need cleaning - it must be the ECU holding it open too long.  If it remains smoky, clean the EGR and retry this test.

If the EGR valve is fine, move on to the TPS.  Check the hot idle voltage, it should be at or just below 1.5V for vehicles without a blanked EGR.  If it's down at 0.75V, you'll get black smoke.

Here's the catch - the TPS also controls how the auto-box changes up.  The lower the voltage at hot idle, the earlier it will change up.

Also check that the TPS voltage changes with throttle position and doesn't have any dead spots.

Hope that helps. Smile
cooks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your reply's,  been away for long weekend and glad to see there could be a solution as its still bad even thought the injector cleaner has now been through.

I will let you know once i have completed you recommendations .

Cheers James.
vwscirocco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day!

I've posted from the wrong thread "subject: Piles of smoke and rattling". I hope I've got an answer from here regarding my question to enlighten me.

I just got my Space Gear Exceed yesterday night when checking the engine bay the hose connecting to the EGR is disconnected and the hose was block. I connect the hose from the EGR like what you have said it is designed and had a purpose from the engine to cool down and will not over heat but when I started driving for about half kilometer I heard knocking sound from the EGR (tick a tick) and does not stop. Is it my EGR need to replace or can fix it?

Thank you.

Cheers.
vwscirocco

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys!

I've found out that my EGR had a block plate already installed. I'm not touching any thing yet maybe next time If I am going to remove the plate just to test if my EGR properly working and if not releasing a lot of black smoke.

Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: